Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 or X5

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy
The X5 now has the LaserLights for the top lighting choice. Seems like they will be the way things will be going in the future due to efficiency, brightness and size but it could be something will come along in a few years to change that.

https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/st...icle-1.4042412
The Laser lights are a nice advancement but IMO Audi has a more effective solution when you combine the Matrix Headlights with the Night Vision. The Matrix directly illuminates everything except other vehicles and the night vision detects humans and animals. No matter how good the headlights there will always be shadows and blind spots caused by cars, trees, buildings, etc. I have a friend that said the night vision has already saved him twice from hitting a deer. Both Mercedes & BMW have an adaptive headlight option for the GLE & X5 but not in the USA, unless something changed recently on the X5 build.
I have a 2020 Mercedes GLE ordered but it was a hard decision since all 3 German cars are great. An SQ8 might have changed my decision. I consider the Q8 a direct competitor to the the X5 even though it’s considered a Coupe. Other than the 8 designation and a slightly lower rear roofline it’s not that different from the Q7 profile.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
The Laser lights are a nice advancement but IMO Audi has a more effective solution when you combine the Matrix Headlights with the Night Vision. The Matrix directly illuminates everything except other vehicles and the night vision detects humans and animals.
They aren't legal in the US yet. In October the NHTSA announced a proposal to allow them and opened a comment period. You would think they would be approved since they seem like a safer system. As far as humans and animals go, the LaserLights are supposed to spotlight them to make them easier to see but who knows how well that would work.

Congrats on your new vehicle order!
Old 12-30-2018, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S

The Laser lights are a nice advancement but IMO Audi has a more effective solution when you combine the Matrix Headlights with the Night Vision. The Matrix directly illuminates everything except other vehicles and the night vision detects humans and animals. No matter how good the headlights there will always be shadows and blind spots caused by cars, trees, buildings, etc. I have a friend that said the night vision has already saved him twice from hitting a deer. Both Mercedes & BMW have an adaptive headlight option for the GLE & X5 but not in the USA, unless something changed recently on the X5 build.
I have a 2020 Mercedes GLE ordered but it was a hard decision since all 3 German cars are great. An SQ8 might have changed my decision. I consider the Q8 a direct competitor to the the X5 even though it’s considered a Coupe. Other than the 8 designation and a slightly lower rear roofline it’s not that different from the Q7 profile.
I doubt the lights on the Audi are that good right now without matrix enabled. Especially when Audis have had terrible rated lights when compared to Mercedes, Volvo and BMW. I have the upgraded lights on my Q7 and still struggle at night while using the low beams.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:11 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by swedesc
I doubt the lights on the Audi are that good right now without matrix enabled. Especially when Audis have had terrible rated lights when compared to Mercedes, Volvo and BMW. I have the upgraded lights on my Q7 and still struggle at night while using the low beams.
Quite the opposite .. The were extremely bright and blew away my 18 sq5.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by f10
Quite the opposite .. The were extremely bright and blew away my 18 sq5.
Well the Q5 didn't score well at all in the IIHS lighting test...
Old 12-31-2018, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by swedesc
Well the Q5 didn't score well at all in the IIHS lighting test...
The SQ5 has different headlights (LED) than the Q5. At least mine does maybe it’s the Prestige package, don’t remember.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

As far as first year production vehicles go the Q8 has been solid so far. A couple little quirks but nothing that’s really recurring, with the exception of the radio volume cutting out when using wireless carplay. This is something I’ll mention if I bring the car in for anything big but fortunately nothing has popped up that warrants a trip to the dealer. So far the tech looks to be a strong point in comparison to the X5 which has widespread issues. The emergency warning and braking systems (similar to Audi Pre Sense) aren’t working properly on the GO5 which is obviously a big deal, and there’s also a laundry list of other things going on with iDrive. Here’s a funny post from yesterday on Bimmerpost...

Last edited by jrjunior31; 01-20-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I’m sure BMW will work it out, but no doubt at these prices they should arrive near perfect

The X5 has the Q8 beat on performance, road feel through the steering wheel, and on value for money

That being said, I can’t wait for my Q8 to arrive

Old 01-21-2019, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always felt the X5 felt more "truck" like where the Q8 has a much better feel.

X5 is a good value … BMW in general pricing wise provides decent value where I find Audi a bit of a premium your paying.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Being a Audi/Porsche guy for almost 3 decades, I tried to love the Q8 but couldn’t get past the styling issues like fake exhaust opening and underpowered engine at this price point. It expected a higher output engine at $85k+. I test drove several and then test drove new X5 40i M-Sport. The power delivery was noticeably quicker than the Q8 prestige. It felt more planted and like a sport sedan in its handeling. The build quality and materials used on the new X5 is in another league from previous models. Much nicer and better built than my last A8. I was shocked.
My big mistake was to test drive the X5 50i M-Sport the dealership owner was driving. It’s a monster. I am use to fast cars owning a C4S/RS5/RS4,etc.. The 50i’s power is endless and smooth and the M brakes were huge and stopped the big SUV like a RS4. I cross shopped it with the Cayenne S and came away with a ordered fully loaded X5 50i M-Sport. It’s a $100k vehicle that feels like it’s a $150kish.

Last edited by The Mystro S4; 01-24-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Q8 or X5