Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 or X5

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mystro S4
Being a Audi/Porsche guy for almost 3 decades, I tried to love the Q8 but couldn’t get past the styling issues like fake exhaust opening and underpowered engine at this price point. It expected a higher output engine at $85k+. I test drove several and then test drove new X5 40i M-Sport. The power delivery was noticeably quicker than the Q8 prestige. It felt more planted and like a sport sedan in its handeling. The build quality and materials used on the new X5 is in another league from previous models. Much nicer and better built than my last A8. I was shocked.
My big mistake was to test drive the X5 50i M-Sport the dealership owner was driving. It’s a monster. I am use to fast cars owning a C4S. The 50i’s power is endless and smooth and the M brakes were huge and stopped the big SUV like a RS4. I cross shopped it with the Cayenne S and came away with a ordered fully loaded X5 50i M-Sport. It’s a $100k vehicle that feels like it’s a $150kish.
I also found the X5 50i's power quite surprising, its plenty quick for a large SUV. I was even shocked to when my son (who's a BMW enthusiast) told me that BMW is going to give the X5 50i the new V8 engine from the 8 series with even more horsepower and torque, and it'll be renamed to the X5 M50i in 2020. I'm very interested to see what Audi will release as a competitor for the X5 50i, will the SQ8 have a V8 or a V6 as well, should be a very competitive model, hopefully the pricing won't be too overboard though.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshua Stein
I also found the X5 50i's power quite surprising, its plenty quick for a large SUV. I was even shocked to when my son (who's a BMW enthusiast) told me that BMW is going to give the X5 50i the new V8 engine from the 8 series with even more horsepower and torque, and it'll be renamed to the X5 M50i in 2020. I'm very interested to see what Audi will release as a competitor for the X5 50i, will the SQ8 have a V8 or a V6 as well, should be a very competitive model, hopefully the pricing won't be too overboard though.
BMW uses the same 4.4l V8 TT but massages it to different performance levels across the vehicle performance range. The M850i uses the same engine but higher compression and boost. If your a tuner they are capable of crazy high performance, Eventually it will be in the 50i in a year or two. BMW reworked the current 4.4l V8TT in the new X5 50i with torque coming in at a super low 1500 rpm and lasting longer. BMW constantly tweaks their engines. The lower sound of the M exhaust with this motor shakes the ground. I will post quick start up video I did with my phone.

Real world performance of the X5 50i M-Sport is coming in 0-60mph at around 4.3 seconds with a full tank of fuel and engine under 1000 miles. My guess is it will be a under 4 second 0-60mph with less weight in the gas tank and engine properly broke in. What I noticed was the torque past 60mph to crazy speed was endless. It seems to pull just as hard beyond 60mph and doesn’t seem to run out of steam. They tweeted the ZF 8 speed for the X5 to shift even faster. Paddle shifting feels instant like a double clutch. The base X5 40i M-sport really benefits from the transmission update. Car & Driver got 4.9 seconds 0-60mph from the X5 40i when they just tested it.

This time was without using launch control.

Here is a quick start up video I did with my phone. Sounds a lot better in person. (Obviously new license plate coming)

Last edited by The Mystro S4; 01-24-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

I love the high quality interior materials on the GO5, they crushed the Q8 in that regard. Even something small like brushed nickel or chrome seat controls add a luxurious element. I came from Porsche as well and I miss the luxury. The Q8 seat controls are so cheap looking. Just too much plastic all around for a 91K msrp. Love the styling of the Q8 though and the ultra sleek and modern dash and screen layouts. I’m glad I didn’t ever test drive the GO5 and get tempted though, there’s too many issues with the car. Here’s another crazy issue multiple people are having...

Old 01-24-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
I love the high quality interior materials on the GO5, they crushed the Q8 in that regard. Even something small like brushed nickel or chrome seat controls add a luxurious element. I came from Porsche as well and I miss the luxury. The Q8 seat controls are so cheap looking. Just too much plastic all around for a 91K msrp. Love the styling of the Q8 though and the ultra sleek and modern dash and screen layouts. I’m glad I didn’t ever test drive the GO5 and get tempted though, there’s too many issues with the car. Here’s another crazy issue multiple people are having...

I am active on that forum as well and most all issues are software issues waiting for firmware updates. Most are new owners never exposed to a vehicle with this much tech and don’t understand how it’s a evolving process with a new vehicle with firmware updates. None of it seems to be hardware. Most issues the new owners don’t know how to resolve on their own with a simple reboot.
I went through all kinds of similar glitches with my MMI in my A8. It eventually gets resolved. My wife’s current A4 is having MMI issues and it gets its next update at its first oil change. I went though it with Porsche and Audi. These are computers with wheels.

For example, my key card works perfect when you know how to activate it but because the vehicle is so new, some dealers have to learn this new technology. Less tech friendly owners are left complaining on forums until many of us walk them through the activation process then it’s a non issue.

Last edited by The Mystro S4; 01-24-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:36 AM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a general dislike of BMW. I tend not to like anything about them—iDrive being one of my biggest problems. The 2013 528i was the final straw. My father had them growing up, and I convinced him to switch to Mercedes (my mother's preference) a few years back. However, I will have to take a look at this new X5. 479 ft-lbs of torque! I have been lamenting giving up my 400 ft-lbs of torque in my BlueTEC diesel.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SoundsoftheSuburbs
I have a general dislike of BMW. I tend not to like anything about them—iDrive being one of my biggest problems. The 2013 528i was the final straw. My father had them growing up, and I convinced him to switch to Mercedes (my mother's preference) a few years back. However, I will have to take a look at this new X5. 479 ft-lbs of torque! I have been lamenting giving up my 400 ft-lbs of torque in my BlueTEC diesel.
While there are numerous first year software gremlins the GO5 is stockpiled with the latest technology. It’s impressive. Remote 3D surround camera is so cool. You can check out your baby and it’s surroundings at anytime from your cell phone!
Old 02-06-2019, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Remote 3D surround camera is so cool. You can check out your baby and it’s surroundings at anytime from your cell phone!
My wife goes into the garage to smoke and as a joke I sometimes hit the remote view to take a pic of her. Of course she knows it is happening since the mirrors come out and most times I see her throwing the finger at me. LOL
Old 02-06-2019, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mystro S4

I am active on that forum as well and most all issues are software issues waiting for firmware updates. Most are new owners never exposed to a vehicle with this much tech and don’t understand how it’s a evolving process with a new vehicle with firmware updates. None of it seems to be hardware. Most issues the new owners don’t know how to resolve on their own with a simple reboot.
I went through all kinds of similar glitches with my MMI in my A8. It eventually gets resolved. My wife’s current A4 is having MMI issues and it gets its next update at its first oil change. I went though it with Porsche and Audi. These are computers with wheels.

For example, my key card works perfect when you know how to activate it but because the vehicle is so new, some dealers have to learn this new technology. Less tech friendly owners are left complaining on forums until many of us walk them through the activation process then it’s a non issue.
I never experienced anything like BMW's LKA though. The X5 is great but the lane keep assist is dangerous. My mom bought one of the few ones that was on the lot a few months ago. It's a black X-Line with a good amount of options. We test drove it and almost killed a cyclist because of the system. We were going around 45mph and as we passed a biker my mom moved over a bit into the next lane to give him space, the car immediately jerked back towards the biker. It was trying to get us back in the lane, but the way it did it was so dangerously aggressive. I LOVE active safety features, we optioned all of them in our Q7 and XC90 and they work well. In the Audi and Volvo the lane keep assist brakes the wheels to create steering resistant to keep you in your lane. In the X5 the car jerks your wheel as if someone is pulling it and it's disconcerting. Before we test drove the car I thought people were exaggerating but I quickly ate my words, it's dangerous. I'm surprised it hasn't caused an accident yet.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There’s a thread on GO5 about the steering intervention its very dangerous, no idea how that system passed inspection. Everyone shuts it off at delivery that reads the forum, but if you don’t know about it it’s scary. Class action suit waiting to happen.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

There’s a thread on GO5 about the steering intervention its very dangerous, no idea how that system passed inspection. Everyone shuts it off at delivery that reads the forum, but if you don’t know about it it’s scary. Class action suit waiting to happen.
I have all of mine safety/intervention systems turned on. Have never ran into any situation where it was dangerous. I think people are way overreacting to what the steering is doing. It definitely is trying to keep you in your lane but with very little effort on the wheel it stops and knows to let the driver take over. Perhaps because mine is a recent build or I just have not run into the situations some have.

Quick Reply: Q8 or X5