Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 or X5

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

BMW changed seat manufacturers from Lear to Magna to save money and that’s the result. There’s a 500 post thread on Bimmerpost about it. Some people are rejecting delivery of their cars. There’s been a lot of talk about Audi cost cutting (and I’ve been one of the more vocal ones), but this Leathergate snafu from BMW takes the cake.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
BMW changed seat manufacturers from Lear to Magna to save money and that’s the result. There’s a 500 post thread on Bimmerpost about it. Some people are rejecting delivery of their cars. There’s been a lot of talk about Audi cost cutting (and I’ve been one of the more vocal ones), but this Leathergate snafu from BMW takes the cake.
Yep, G05 X5 owners are calling it wrinklegate, wife and I looked at a new X5 for her next lease, and really liked it, we were both annoyed by the wrinkles in the rear seats, but we liked every other aspect of the car so much that we didn't mind so much. I can see people being mad about it, but I don't think I would reject a car from delivery for it, but I guess everyone has their own opinion.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

With regard to the front storage in the Q8 the center console is small but the glove box is big, theres the other compartment left of the wheel, and the door pockets are huge, they hold the 1 Liter glass Mountain Valley water bottles without a problem. The backseat legroom in the Q8 is more expansive than the X5 (rear facing baby seat clears the front passenger seat) and my 8-year-old has tons of space behind me and I’m 6’2”. All this second row space is more preferable imo than increased storage up front. Would be nice to have it all, but there’s really no perfect vehicle out there that’s fits everyone’s exact needs.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiclet11
How come the leather inserts on the rear seats aren't the same as the corresponding ones on the front seats?
A clue - rear seats are called - BENCH.

Another clue - front seats are called MULTI CONTOURED LUXURY - heated, ventilate, massage for pelvis, butt and back. VERY nice!
Old 03-09-2019, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Joshua Stein
Yep, G05 X5 owners are calling it wrinklegate, wife and I looked at a new X5 for her next lease, and really liked it, we were both annoyed by the wrinkles in the rear seats, but we liked every other aspect of the car so much that we didn't mind so much. I can see people being mad about it, but I don't think I would reject a car from delivery for it, but I guess everyone has their own opinion.
Some are indeed awful which suggests a quality control issue. Mine are not bad, some call it a "roche" look, and actually enhances seating comfort.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Johnny Bench
Some are indeed awful which suggests a quality control issue. Mine are not bad, some call it a "roche" look, and actually enhances seating comfort.
I have seen that look on some cars before (can't remember which one - Lexus etc), but the creases were uniform and did not look out of place.

Though the front and rear seats have different dimensions/designs, it is puzzling why BMW could make the front seats wrinkle free, but not the back ones.

Having said that, if you are fine with the wrinkles/creases, enjoy the car. You did not make the wrong choice.

(I don't think there is a wrong choice to be made between the 4 luxury German brand).
Old 03-09-2019, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good example of a millennial acting out:

Originally Posted by WausauS8
I can't believe those pictures of the back seats. They look awful? Shocking.
I'll get the iron out today and take care of them just for the sake of your dear heart health.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL
I have seen that look on some cars before (can't remember which one - Lexus etc), but the creases were uniform and did not look out of place.
Apparently the 2009 RX350 had wrinkles. My 2013 didn't.

FWIW the placement of the wrinkles or puffiness if you will is the same in every X5. Quite uniform.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Absolutely false. The ruching in the rear seats are there by design.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WausauS8
There's certainly enough room for the essentials.
And what "essentials" would that be? Your comb or a small pad and pen?

If the Q8 storage is as pathetic as the Q7, which I suspect it is, you got to be crazy to accept it. There's a thing called function and that's where other SUVs deliver especially BMW.

Quick Reply: Q8 or X5