Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 or X5

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_10d
Just saw Q8 on the freeway here in LA. I'm deciding between Q8 and BMW X5, so it was nice to be able to see how it looks in real world next too other cars on the freeway. I liked the back and the tail lights design and the front looked nice too with its aggressive grill. However from the side the car looked very plan and in general did not really stand out.
Didn't exactly help me to decide
Looks aside, did you test drive them both?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not yet. I plan to in the next week or so. Still deciding if I should have Adaptive Chassis package on Q8. Maybe will try with and without to compare.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I tried one with Adaptive Chassis on Q8 as I wanted to compare it with X5's air suspension.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

What did you think? How does the ride on Q8 compare to X5?
Old 12-10-2018, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Both were very good. There were some pros and cons on both but the main driver for me to choose the X5 was the cost. The Q8 was 10-12K more for comparably equipped.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

ven7782... curious on how you liked the driving dynamic on the new x5 compared to your Q7? Would you say the X5 is more engaging and fun to drive? Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks!!
Old 12-10-2018, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Meyecul
ven7782... curious on how you liked the driving dynamic on the new x5 compared to your Q7? Would you say the X5 is more engaging and fun to drive? Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks!!
I test drove the 40i and was very pleased. My Q7 does not have the adaptive chassis but the Q8 I test drove did. Q8 was more sturdy and handled the corners and sharp turns better. But the air suspension on the X5 was smoother and comparatively less bumpier. If I could get another Q7, I would have done that in a heart beat. But for the sake of diversity, I was looking for a different vehicle and choose the X5.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Audi, I believe but cannot prove, spent a ton of money and determined that there would be a distinct, separate, unique, etc., market for the Q8 and the Q7. The Q7 is the vehicle that would compete with the X5, not the Q8. Yes, the price of the Q8 is higher, but the point of the research had to be to determine if there was a market for an Audi that would be, at this time, analogous to the X6. Someone who would "get another Q7 . . . in a heartbeat," is not the market Audi was going for with the Q8. That someone who loves the Q7 -- and couldn't get a new one -- elected instead to buy an X5 is (or was) predicted by Audi's research. My wife wanted sportiness, "presence" perhaps even a touch of "evil" (she got an Orca Black Q8 with a black interior and the Yr 1 package), she couldn't make the Q7 satisfy those criteria. Her Q8 -- aka "Darth" or "Vader" -- was an easy decision, even at $80K. The dealership loaned her a $77K+ 2018 Q7 for two days prior to finalizing the deal on the Q8, She did not declare them fraternal twins as has been suggested, rather more like 2nd cousins. Our rep mentioned that a "repeat" customer of his came in tested a Q7, said "that's nice," and then tested the Q8 and said "I MUST HAVE one of those" and ordered one exactly as she wanted.

This, the above data points, does not mean that I think the X5 or Q7 is not as good as the Q8, rather, I think it means that folks who love their Q7s are likely (statistically) to go with another Q7 (or an X5). Therefore, nevertheless and notwithstanding, it is highly predictable that there are, as Audi's marketing research consultant's study suggested, separate and distinct markets for the Q7 and Q8.

Now, one last comment -- and this may be "speculation" on the dealer's part: There is talk of a Q9 in the air, as there is talk of an X7. I have read -- but not seen -- "projections" of what such super-flagship "SUV's" might look like. I gather they are likely to be bigger Q7/X5's rather than an even larger Q8 or X6.

Again, separate markets, separate customers. No right or wrong.

For my part, having had several A6's and S6's, I can't understand why anyone would spring the extra $ for an A7, thus demonstrating that "market research" says there is a separate market that would justify production of both an A6 and an A7. I might go for an A7 -- but I really doubt it -- if they'd make the MSRP of it comparable to the A6. It would simply gall me to acquire an A7 knowing that I coulda had an S6 for a relatively small amount more. I suspect some folks think the Q8 costs more for less vehicle -- and I can relate since I think the only reason to go with the A7 is cosmetic and it just isn't worth $10,000 more. I suspect Audi thought the same thing and turned that information into the justification to market both A6's and A7's. In short, it takes all kinds. I don't see the attraction of the Q7, but, quoting my wife, "the Q8 is badass."
Old 12-13-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
There is talk of a Q9 in the air, as there is talk of an X7. I have read -- but not seen -- "projections" of what such super-flagship "SUV's" might look like. I gather they are likely to be bigger Q7/X5's rather than an even larger Q8 or X6.
The X7's have been introduced and ready to be ordered. https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/x-mo...cle/index.html

Old 12-13-2018, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy
The X7's have been introduced and ready to be ordered. https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/x-mo...cle/index.html
Interestingly, though not the same demographic, the X7 configured up to a similar Q8 comes in about $2,000 less ($90k+) - that includes just about every option (including BMW's standard 3 year/36,000 mile maintenance)....

X7 xDrive40i
3.0-liter TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder xDrive, intelligent all-wheel drive
  • STANDARD FEATURES
  • BASE MSRP$73,900
  • DESIGN
    Luxury
  • COLORVermont Bronze Metallic
  • WHEELS21" Y-Spoke bi-color ferric grey wheels,style 753 with all-season runflat tires
  • UPHOLSTERYCoffee Vernasca Leather$1,450
  • TRIMFineline Stripe Brown High-gloss Wood Trim
  • PACKAGES + OPTIONS
    Cold Weather Package$1,200
    Driving Assistance Professional Package$1,700
    Luxury Seating Package$1,600
    Off-road Package$1,650
    Parking Assistance Package$700
    Premium Package$3,000
    Glass Controls$650
    Leather Dashboard$1,200
    Panoramic Sky Lounge LED Roof$750
    Integral Active Steering$1,150
    Space-saver spare$150
  • DESTINATION + HANDLING$995
  • TOTAL MSRP as Built$90,095

Last edited by Doc H; 12-13-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Q8 or X5