Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 or X5

Old 11-17-2018, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy

i think with both fully optioned, the X5 is about 10k or so less expensive.
if that’s the case the x5 truly isn’t even in the same league as the Q8...an x6 is the likely comp
Old 11-17-2018, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1

if that’s the case the x5 truly isn’t even in the same league as the Q8...an x6 is the likely comp
I don't think Audi considers the X5 the BMW competition since the have a comparison to the X6 and the Land Rover Sport SE on the website.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RJC 1
Isn’t the x5 much less expensive than the q8?
If you load them up, the X5's MSRP is $10k less. BMW also tends to subsidize their leases.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Agree that Audi doesn't seem to think the X5 is the competition, but I am finding a lot of people cross shopping these two cars. For those wanting only 2 rows and a sportier feel, they are both comparable. I personally don't like the X6 styling, but with Audi making the roofline less sloping, they will likely compete against both the X5 and X6 crowd. It is convenient to compare against the X6 in their table since it hasn't been updated yet. The performance and technology of the X5 is very comparable, and in some cases much better than the Q8.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bh1969
Agree that Audi doesn't seem to think the X5 is the competition, but I am finding a lot of people cross shopping these two cars. For those wanting only 2 rows and a sportier feel, they are both comparable. I personally don't like the X6 styling, but with Audi making the roofline less sloping, they will likely compete against both the X5 and X6 crowd. It is convenient to compare against the X6 in their table since it hasn't been updated yet. The performance and technology of the X5 is very comparable, and in some cases much better than the Q8.
I agree. they are both 5 passenger and I am comparing them. Audi does not want to compare them because the specs outperform the Q8 in some areas.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TechCT
I agree. they are both 5 passenger and I am comparing them. Audi does not want to compare them because the specs outperform the Q8 in some areas.
I wasn't really considering the X5 at the beginning of my search and then saw this thread. Started doing research and I think the X5 can be quite the competitor for the Q8. In my case, I would say right now it is leading the race.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure about FACTORY remote start, but apparently, remote start is offered by someone (for a price).

Q8 would compare to X6, Q7 to X5. That there may be folks cross-shopping Q8 and X5 is not to be unexpected. However, the Q8, like the A7 is "based" on another vehicle in the lineup plus over $9,000. The A7 is an A6 that knows somebody, hence the two are $9,100 apart making the A7 more expensive for primarily cosmetic reasons.

The Q8 is "based" on the Q7 -- but there are differences there, too. Essentially, I think, these cars justify their price differences based significantly on styling. That the Q8 is wider (and shorter) and "cooler" seems to be the justification for the markup on the Q8 over a very similar Q7. We all are willing to some extent to pay for what we perceive is beauty. Nothing wrong with that -- and if the cars sell well, who are we to chide A7 buyers but not Q8 buyers? Sometimes you just are willing to pay more for the look -- it's what makes the world go 'round.

My wife perceives the Q8 to be entirely different from the Q7. I mostly agree. Mostly. Yet, there are differences that make the market willing to pay more for the Q8, I'm not certain that these differences actually cost such sums that are asked for, however.

For me, I think the A6 would be my choice for "looks" vs the A7. The market, however, has spoken and believes the A7 can (and it does) command over $9K more -- I guess there is one thing about the A7 vs A6 and A5SB vs the A4 -- the "sport backs" have a lot more room for cargo. So, by that logic the A5 and A7 are worth more than the A4 A6 -- but that doesn't exactly explain the Q7 Q8. That is why I think these styling exercise cars are not THAT often cross-shopped. I suspect if I was a Q7 shopper, the Q8 would hold little interest for me, I'd probably cross shop the Q7 and the X5 and the Q5 with the X3 and so on.

Takes all kinds. Luckily science hasn't figured out how to price these things based on an individual's attraction to the vehicle. In my case that would mean they would charge me more for an A6 than an A7.

One more: Generally Bud Light is considered the Premium Light/Lager beer and Natural Light the "better" (meaning not premium) beer. In our market. I recently was told that in some markets, Natural Light is the Premium Beer and Bud Light is the better beer. Based on national marketing, one would imagine Bud was the Premium and Natural the less-than-premium brew. Takes all kinds. Someone somewhere must have liked the Pontiac Aztec after all.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 11-20-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm certainly cross-shopping the Q8 with the X5, and I expect a lot of other people will be too. The Q8 is nothing like the X6 in form or function in my opinion, and I think someone looking for a "conventional" looking SUV (which Audi touts for the Q8), will be naturally comparing the two. The X5 wins based on price/value for features, maybe the Q8 wins on looks. From all reports, the X5 wins on performance too. The Q8 has a unique cockpit (Virtual Cockpit is no longer unique, and according to Audi may be substantially abbreviated in the future with the Google Earth debacle, but the concept is copied by many); Q8's claim to fame is the digital screen arrangement, but now they are closer to Volvo territory. The Q8 is certainly not a hands-down winner in the competition with MB and BMW, and my experience with all of them is that Audi has the least reliable digital technology of the lot, which is the premier selling point in these new vehicles. Performance is moot in a two and a half ton SUV with a pampered inside, but I want my electronics to work without having to think about it, or fish for a TSB every month to fix it. Audi loses this race by a wide margin.

Last edited by Doc H; 11-20-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I am not saying, Doc, that you're mistaken, however, I have no idea what you're talking about "Audi has the least reliable digital technology of the lot." We're into our third "recent gen" digital tech (2 2018's and 1 2019) and haven't had any issues with the MMI or any other "digital" tech. I'm curious what makes Audi the "least reliable," thanks.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

For me, the A7, CLS and 6 series are all in the same class. I think Audi almost did too good a job on the Q8 design with not having the sloping roof and X6/GLE Coupe styling. I wouldn't consider the X6/GLE Coupe at all, while I would the Q8. The converse is true that if I were looking at 6 or 7 seaters like the GLS or X7, I would definitely consider the Q7, especially after the 2020 refresh and the Q7 would likely be the best value with great features. I do think BMW and MB with the new X5 and upcoming GLE have added tons of new technology and at least the X5 pricepoint in a loaded scenario is favorable against a comparable Q8. I won't consider the Q7 since it has three rows. The market does has a way of setting the prices over time. In fairness to Audi, I don't expect they plan on producing the volumes of Q8's that BMW does for the X5. In that way, the Q8 and X6 are the same class. But if pricing is right, the Q8 can steal away some X5ers that are searching for a great 5 seater.

I do thank markcincinatti for the real world reviews so far. Haven't got a whole lot of real reviews from the press or real drivers on either the Q8 or X5 yet, so looking forward to those. Will likely go back to the dealerships this weekend to look some more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q8 or X5