Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 or X5

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am in the same boat. 2019 X5 or the Q8. I feel the Q8 is over priced by 10K and will struggle to sell after the early adopters dry up. So far I am leaning towards the X5. I also fear that Audi will discontinue the Q8 if it does not sell well.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I am not saying, Doc, that you're mistaken, however, I have no idea what you're talking about "Audi has the least reliable digital technology of the lot." We're into our third "recent gen" digital tech (2 2018's and 1 2019) and haven't had any issues with the MMI or any other "digital" tech. I'm curious what makes Audi the "least reliable," thanks.
Sure. Just from threads here and personal experience (a bit of background - my first Q7 and first Audi. BMW and Lexus owner for 40+ years - the latest a 2015 BMW X5d with every option): Audi's inability or unwillingness to address the universal, well documented problem of the overhead camera switching to graphic view in I assume every 2018 Audi so equipped - formal complaints have been filed with the NHTSA. It is discussed almost daily here, and my dealership is aware. After more than a year, still waiting for a fix. Intermittent and spotty connectivity problems, both with WiFi and Bluetooth in MMI; dealer is also aware. Also discussed frequently here. Maybe it's just Android, and maybe it's just a few owners. I can tell you that basic connectivity functions in both BMW and MB are rare occurrences, and those I have personally experienced over many years and many vehicles have been easily and quickly fixed by me or my dealer. With the Audi, sometimes I get my calendar, sometimes not. Sometimes I get the weather, sometimes not. Sometimes I can connect to music services, sometimes not. I'm not an inexperienced tech or Android user, and neither I nor my dealer can make it work consistently. All this aside from Audi's cryptic notices on their site about the possibility of losing all connectivity after 2021, and the certainty of losing Google Earth functionality for all MY 2018 and earlier owners. And aside from the functionality of MMI itself as a digital system - try using a voice command to change your temperature for example, or telling it to play a specific radio station or media device - common functions in other systems - in a $90k car. That kind of "least reliable digital technology" as just a few "for instances." I have others.

Last edited by Doc H; 11-20-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loads of issues with technology for my 2017, Q7, 4MB5A1 purchased on 11-2-18 with 16K miles. Frankly, I'm soooooooooo sorry I did not do more research. Intermittent cruise control issues (just stops working) heated steering wheel is lukewarm when and if it works, and a plethora of messages appearing in my virtual cockpit. I'm the second owner. All the reviews are top rated ("vault-like quietness", really?) but frankly, my Infiniti was so much quieter than my Q7. Replaced the awful GY, RF's (20" wheels) with Conti's (limited choices) that helped some but the cabin noise is annoying. Also, not sure why or if it's just Audi, but my engine sounds really loud.

Thank God it's still under warranty but based on what I've read here, Audi is not your stellar five star customer relationship company.
Yes, whine, whine, whine but I can only hope the dealer can fix my issues. Was hoping on not spending so many hours resolving issues.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

All three of our recent Audis have or had the all-around view monitor -- we have not had the experience you detail and I don't know (other than you) anyone who has had it. I'm trying to think if I had some software issue and the answer is that I have had to "alt control delete" my MMI once (in 20K miles) and my wife's MMI once, maybe twice, in 34K miles and, so far, NOTHING on the Q8. This, again, does not suggest nor do I mean to imply that I think you're observations are wrong or that your description is that of an outlier. Yet, we -- my wife and I -- frequent our Audi dealer with such regularity we practically have assigned parking spaces and our own coffee cups. And we do fraternize with other Audi owners (sometimes I have to reign in my wife telling her SHE's NOT the salesperson) regularly. No issues of such frequency or regularity have arisen in conversation -- but again, our dealer has -- and I mean this -- an Audi Guru (OK, perhaps he is an Audi God) who is THE go-to guy for practically everything and anything pertaining to these cars' technology. I've noticed at other dealers (of other Premium brands) that not all dealers are so blessed to have such a resource.

I don't know if he is the reason things generally just swim along, but I would urge you to find out if your dealership has such a high priest and get to know him (or her) and bring your most perplexing dilemmas to him.

One of our cities BMW dealers has such a person too -- and he just happens to own the place.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
All three of our recent Audis have or had the all-around view monitor -- we have not had the experience you detail and I don't know (other than you) anyone who has had it. I'm trying to think if I had some software issue and the answer is that I have had to "alt control delete" my MMI once (in 20K miles) and my wife's MMI once, maybe twice, in 34K miles and, so far, NOTHING on the Q8. This, again, does not suggest nor do I mean to imply that I think you're observations are wrong or that your description is that of an outlier. Yet, we -- my wife and I -- frequent our Audi dealer with such regularity we practically have assigned parking spaces and our own coffee cups. And we do fraternize with other Audi owners (sometimes I have to reign in my wife telling her SHE's NOT the salesperson) regularly. No issues of such frequency or regularity have arisen in conversation -- but again, our dealer has -- and I mean this -- an Audi Guru (OK, perhaps he is an Audi God) who is THE go-to guy for practically everything and anything pertaining to these cars' technology. I've noticed at other dealers (of other Premium brands) that not all dealers are so blessed to have such a resource.

I don't know if he is the reason things generally just swim along, but I would urge you to find out if your dealership has such a high priest and get to know him (or her) and bring your most perplexing dilemmas to him.

One of our cities BMW dealers has such a person too -- and he just happens to own the place.
As far as the overhead view switching - which BTW is regarded as a critical safety issue by some, and may also be by the NHTSA - here are some folks who have had the issue right here among us:

Overhead Camera View

So now you know some other people who have had this issue. TSB reported pending, but over a year has elapsed. As far as other electronic gremlins, Audi may or may not have more than their share - more than one post here regarding heated steering wheel, lane keeping assist, ACC. I've rebooted MMI more times than I can count, once when ACC stopped functioning completely on a fairly busy Interstate. My overall gestalt with Audi software is that it lags significantly in the core functions of operating the car - not so much that I don't trust it at all, but that I am always wondering what won't work the way I expect it to next - and that it seems to have little support or a sense of urgency from corporate Audi to address commonly reported problems. They don't seem to have their act together even on their corporate site where the configurators don't work or are still packed with 2018 models in what is MY 2019 for most other manufacturers - just another puzzle piece that gives me less confidence in Audi technology. Many things I love about my Q7 - fit and finish is quality, handling is superb, so far mechanical reliability is solid, the tech that does work is first rate. Our local dealership, like yours, is also top-notch, and they are willing to jump in with me for diagnostics, but the best way I can describe the tech overall as far as my experience to date, is "not quite done yet."
Old 11-20-2018, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

^ I think that may be because they put their best tech people to work on emission falsification projects.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My Audi has been flawless. It’s maybe time to compare the two to the new 2020 GLE....being announced in the US at LA Auto show in a few days. They started production the first week of October so they should hit dealers soon after the new year, maybe February.
My feeling as of today is #1 GLE; #2 Audi & last the X5.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy
^ I think that may be because they put their best tech people to work on emission falsification projects.
and they have tightened their belts big time
Old 11-22-2018, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have decided to go with the new 2019 X5. I test drove one yesterday and it drove beautifully. The tech upgrades on the new X5 beats out the Q8. The only negative being no Android Auto and a one year trial on the Apple car play. However the dealer told me that Android Auto will be available via a software upgrade later down the line. Comparably equipped X5 was also 10K cheaper than the Q8 plus the dealer wanted MSRP on the Q8 while I was getting a discount on the X5.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ven7782
I have decided to go with the new 2019 X5. I test drove one yesterday and it drove beautifully. The tech upgrades on the new X5 beats out the Q8. The only negative being no Android Auto and a one year trial on the Apple car play. However the dealer told me that Android Auto will be available via a software upgrade later down the line. Comparably equipped X5 was also 10K cheaper than the Q8 plus the dealer wanted MSRP on the Q8 while I was getting a discount on the X5.
Congratulations on your choice. I have not test driven yet but am leaning that way also. What wheels did you decide on and are you getting the air suspension? I was thinking of 20" and the air suspension/integral active steering.

Quick Reply: Q8 or X5