Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8's Continue To Build Up In Local Dealer Inventories

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1
I think the Q7 and Cayenne are cross shoppable considering they are built on the same platform, the 6 cylinders offer approx. the same performance and the interior and exterior dimensions are very similar (more so than the Cayenne to Q8). I think the Q7 is like a lux version of the Cayenne so to speak. We actually considered the Cayenne but my wife (her vehicle) liked the interior design of the Q7 better, and so did I. Q8 shoppers should be cross shopping other CUV's like the X6, GLE coupes etc...not X5's like so many appear to be here.
I am in the same boat as others in this thread. I am trying to decide if I like the Cayenne enough to pay the premium. My experience though, having owned both a Q7 and a Cayenne is the Porsche has a much higher resudual value and much better lease rates than the Audis. Lease rates on the Audis are terrible. And my dealer have always discounted the Porsches since they have a lot more room to work with. So the final numbers may come out to be the same. I have talked to both of my sales reps at the respective Audi and Porsche dealership and will see how the final numbers come up with a Q8 and the Cayenne comparatively equipped. Like a poster said, building one on the website, the Porsche, comparably equipped, is 10k+ more than the Q8. I have driven both and the Porsche feels a lot more nimble than the Q8. It even "feels" like it accelerates faster. Looking at the weights, the Q8 weighs in at over 5000 lbs. while the Cayenne is 4370 lbs. That's a big diffrence folks. The Porsche 0-60 times posted by Porsche, I have heard from several reviews are conservative. My current Q7 Prestige feels quicker than the Q8. But this is subjective, of course. Bear in mind, my SQ5 is quicker than all 3 of these but the Porsche feels more like the SQ5 rather than the Q8. Air suspension and rear wheel steering on theQ7 is the bomb. Gotta have it on the Q8 but not needed, IMO on the Cayenne.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just checked my local largest dealer has 30 Q8's available
Old 01-11-2019, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Keep in mind 30 on their website does not mean 30 in stock, or even available for sale. That’s the total of cars both on the ground, and in the pipeline, regardless if they are ordered/presold, or not.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Keep in mind 30 on their website does not mean 30 in stock, or even available for sale. That’s the total of cars both on the ground, and in the pipeline, regardless if they are ordered/presold, or not.
Yes, but there approx 15 in stock with the others showing as in transit..of the 30 there are 9 YR1's available...the other local dealer is showing 20 Q8s and they've never shown this many from what I remember...sign of the times
Old 01-11-2019, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrtouareg
I am in the same boat as others in this thread. I am trying to decide if I like the Cayenne enough to pay the premium. My experience though, having owned both a Q7 and a Cayenne is the Porsche has a much higher resudual value and much better lease rates than the Audis. Lease rates on the Audis are terrible. And my dealer have always discounted the Porsches since they have a lot more room to work with. So the final numbers may come out to be the same. I have talked to both of my sales reps at the respective Audi and Porsche dealership and will see how the final numbers come up with a Q8 and the Cayenne comparatively equipped. Like a poster said, building one on the website, the Porsche, comparably equipped, is 10k+ more than the Q8. I have driven both and the Porsche feels a lot more nimble than the Q8. It even "feels" like it accelerates faster. Looking at the weights, the Q8 weighs in at over 5000 lbs. while the Cayenne is 4370 lbs. That's a big diffrence folks. The Porsche 0-60 times posted by Porsche, I have heard from several reviews are conservative. My current Q7 Prestige feels quicker than the Q8. But this is subjective, of course. Bear in mind, my SQ5 is quicker than all 3 of these but the Porsche feels more like the SQ5 rather than the Q8. Air suspension and rear wheel steering on theQ7 is the bomb. Gotta have it on the Q8 but not needed, IMO on the Cayenne.
Curious on your thoughts when comparing the new Cayenne vs the MKII Q7? I have been itching lately maybe for trading my Q7 for something more fun and engaging to drive. Have not had a chance to drive the new Cayenne. Played quite a bit with the config online building them and would def have to give up some of the features I have on my Q7 to get into one. I do not mind that if the drive experience is worth it.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer has 2 in stock and 3 on way through March.

I like the audi interior always over Porsche but the only downside to the Q8 is the engine and transmission. Could use a little more pep. The Q7 (had a loaner other day)to me seems a little quicker but its really in same boat.

Shopping I would rank:
Q8 - I'm an interior kind of guy (and coming off an S6 I mean what can I expect from the car)
Cayenne - nice balance style with the extra pep
Q7 - interior seems dated already with what audi is doing now - don't feel the luxury in its demeanor.

Q7 is still the most sensible buy of the 3
Old 01-12-2019, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

When looking at in transit Audi vehicles, keep in mind that customer orders/sold cars appear there too. My 2018 SQ5 Order appeared in the dealers “in transit” for almost 3 weeks.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Unfortunately in general in the big markets the car does not appear to be moving well at all. In a look at just 4 dealers inventories in So Cal (and not even any of the big central or west side dealers) there are over 40 true available (actual on dealers lots avail for sale today) Q8s and most have been there for some time and more just keep getting added as they arrive into inventory. This does not count any of the customer orders or "in transits" that will also become stock, with those the number doubles at these 4 dealers alone. Now add in the rest of the so cal dealers and there has to be near (or above) a couple hundred of them sitting on lots.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cbl1
My dealer has 2 in stock and 3 on way through March.

I like the audi interior always over Porsche but the only downside to the Q8 is the engine and transmission. Could use a little more pep. The Q7 (had a loaner other day)to me seems a little quicker but its really in same boat.

Shopping I would rank:
Q8 - I'm an interior kind of guy (and coming off an S6 I mean what can I expect from the car)
Cayenne - nice balance style with the extra pep
Q7 - interior seems dated already with what audi is doing now - don't feel the luxury in its demeanor.

Q7 is still the most sensible buy of the 3

I always thought given its price, the Q7's interior could have been made better materials wise to richen it up. The Lux package with the right combo inside helps alot vs. the standard when compared sitting side by side, but could still be better. The very top spec Q8 interior is still less luxury than the top Lux pkg Q7, yet the Q8 is supposed to be the flagship. They even did away with the dual sun visors in the Q8 (though maybe they did the same with 19 Q7?) Cost cutting very evident likely due to all the scandal outlay VW has had to deal with. I do still love the brand though.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Unfortunately in general in the big markets the car does not appear to be moving well at all. In a look at just 4 dealers inventories in So Cal (and not even any of the big central or west side dealers) there are over 40 true available (actual on dealers lots avail for sale today) Q8s and most have been there for some time and more just keep getting added as they arrive into inventory. This does not count any of the customer orders or "in transits" that will also become stock, with those the number doubles at these 4 dealers alone. Now add in the rest of the so cal dealers and there has to be near (or above) a couple hundred of them sitting on lots.
Here’s a snap shot of all the SoCal inventory (21 dealers) within a hundred miles or so of LA. No price available is in transit, and if there’s a price the car is at the dealer, or probably less than a month out. The large majority of inventory are non-YR1s in the 70K range. With people getting over 11% off the new X5s you would think these 75K Q8s will be heavily discounted soon.

Quick Reply: Q8's Continue To Build Up In Local Dealer Inventories