Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8s at Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Leather dash shrinkage is not as much of an issue as it used to be years ago unless perhaps the vehicle bakes in the sun all day and without a sun shield for the w/s.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We had a Cadillac XTS (touchscreens) for a rental all summer a few years back, the finger prints were everywhere (we keep our hands quite clean compared to most). I think we will all miss the awesome buttons and switches Audi is renown for. I am having second thoughts about abandoning my '19 Q7 order, especially since it has BOP and the new 22's...hmmm
Old 11-24-2018, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy

Looks are always subjective. And it may come down the road with alternate engines. Nearly
nothing launches with all powertrains nowadays, it’s not cost effective. I personally don’t see much market for these, regardless of engine, at $90k+. But where we built ours, having looked at
the other brands (RR, BMW, MB) nothing in the class comes close, and the competitors are significantly more $ comparably equipped, and the Q8 benefits from much more rear room than the GLE and X6.

Haven’t driven a new X5 yet, will do so when they are released.

Did you ever get around to driving a X5 50i? I have one on order fully optioned and it's about the same price as a Q8 but with a lot more power. I wish Audi kept the MMI rotary controller because using 2 screens like on a Range Rover isn't easy while driving, perhaps you get accustomed to it?

I tried giving Audi another chance this time before ordering Their current offerings, while nice don't live up to the competition.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Did you ever get around to driving a X5 50i? I have one on order fully optioned and it's about the same price as a Q8 but with a lot more power. I wish Audi kept the MMI rotary controller because using 2 screens like on a Range Rover isn't easy while driving, perhaps you get accustomed to it?

I tried giving Audi another chance this time before ordering Their current offerings, while nice don't live up to the competition.
Haven't had a chance yet, but it's on my to do list for next Thursday, as I have the day to myself

Everything isn't for everyone, so it's good there are options for people to consider. I spent 2 hours with a Q8 recently, bringing one in from NJ for a client (who had cross shopped the X5 too), and while the dual screens were a bit intimidating at first, I got very used to it, and found the voice control to work exceptionally well.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Haven't had a chance yet, but it's on my to do list for next Thursday, as I have the day to myself

Everything isn't for everyone, so it's good there are options for people to consider. I spent 2 hours with a Q8 recently, bringing one in from NJ for a client (who had cross shopped the X5 too), and while the dual screens were a bit intimidating at first, I got very used to it, and found the voice control to work exceptionally well.
I couldn't agree more. Audi makes great vehicles and there are still things I miss from my SQ5, but having options is always nice. A big part of the dual screens is keeping them clean, I try keeping things pristine whenever possible so fingerprints all over a display would not go over well. If you do drive a 50i without the DHP (dynamic handling package) I'd be curious to see how it compares to the Q8 without air suspension. There aren't many 50i's out there, it was hard enough finding a dealer to order through without paying MSRP since the allotments for higher tier models are generally low. I know you mentioned there wasn't a market for the Q8 at $90K+ but the opposite is true for the new GLE and X5. I've seen most people buy theirs below $80k, but far more than I thought were optioned north of $95K (mine included). It doesn't help when some of the options like individual colors go for $2k (exterior) and $3-4k on the inside depending on what leather when they become available. I wish BMW was more adventurous in the color department like Audi, I love their bright blues/orange offered on the Q8!
Old 11-24-2018, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I couldn't agree more. Audi makes great vehicles and there are still things I miss from my SQ5, but having options is always nice. A big part of the dual screens is keeping them clean, I try keeping things pristine whenever possible so fingerprints all over a display would not go over well. If you do drive a 50i without the DHP (dynamic handling package) I'd be curious to see how it compares to the Q8 without air suspension. There aren't many 50i's out there, it was hard enough finding a dealer to order through without paying MSRP since the allotments for higher tier models are generally low. I know you mentioned there wasn't a market for the Q8 at $90K+ but the opposite is true for the new GLE and X5. I've seen most people buy theirs below $80k, but far more than I thought were optioned north of $95K (mine included). It doesn't help when some of the options like individual colors go for $2k (exterior) and $3-4k on the inside depending on what leather when they become available. I wish BMW was more adventurous in the color department like Audi, I love their bright blues/orange offered on the Q8!
I have one Q8 coming in at 98k but I'm thinking it will be a hard sell. Thought there would be more interest in higher priced ones based on BMW and MB models.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We spec'd one out at ~$91vs the q7 we have coming at ~$86...may go either way.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RJC 1
We spec'd one out at ~$91vs the q7 we have coming at ~$86...may go either way.
That's not bad but I recommend driving both and perhaps a Cayenne or X5 to see which you like the best. I've driven all of the above and while the Cayenne was obviously the best it wasn't worth the $120k sticker for the same options i wanted.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's not bad but I recommend driving both and perhaps a Cayenne or X5 to see which you like the best. I've driven all of the above and while the Cayenne was obviously the best it wasn't worth the $120k sticker for the same options i wanted.
We drove everything sans the new X5, but have read about it extensively...if you're going to comp a BMW to the Q7, it needs to be the new X7. Agreed the cayenne is a rip, especially comp'd to the Q7 or even 8, plus they all ride on the same platform. This was our first Audi, but we're a household of countless high-end Euro cars over the years, and Audi is just something special; sporty but not over the top, excellent materials, unique styling, and a great ultra smooth ride in an SUV even on 22's.

I am in a quandary myself, I have a near fully loaded (no B&O) '19 Q7 including BOP and the new 22's) due in any day now. I am considering the Q8 however, as we are cash buyers so retaining value in the short term as well as long are important. The matter is made worse with the facelifted Q7 due out next year. While I think the current Q7's layout of crisp buttons, switches and an instantly responsive supercharged engine with Audi's signature silver valve covers and red coil packs (now gone in the Q8+) will be missed someday and possibly sought after, the new stuff may win out for $'s cents, sigh...

Last edited by RJC 1; 11-25-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RJC 1
We drove everything sans the new X5, but have read about it extensively...if you're going to comp a BMW to the Q7, it needs to be the new X7. Agreed the cayenne is a rip, especially comp'd to the Q7 or even 8, plus they all ride on the same platform. This was our first Audi, but we're a household of countless high-end Euro cars over the years, and Audi is just something special; sporty but not over the top, excellent materials, unique styling, and a great ultra smooth ride in an SUV even on 22's.

I am in a quandary myself, I have a near fully loaded (no B&O) '19 Q7 including BOP and the new 22's) due in any day now. I am considering the Q8 however, as we are cash buyers so retaining value in the short term as well as long are important. The matter is made worse with the facelifted Q7 due out next year. While I think the current Q7's layout of crisp buttons, switches and an instantly responsive supercharged engine with Audi's signature silver valve covers and red coil packs (now gone in the Q8+) will be missed someday and possibly sought after, the new stuff may win out for $'s cents, sigh...
I agree about the Q7/X7 comparison to an extent. The X5 sits in a weird place because it can have a 3rd row, but it shouldn't unlike the X3 which competes with the Q5. The X7 is bigger than the Q7, at least from what I can recall and it's priced well above any of Audi's offerings. I don't think Audi has the same level of luxury in their higher end models as they should and the lack of interior colors/leather/wood choices is pretty bad. You get maybe 3 trims and 4 colors of the same leather to choose from which is seriously lacking in the high-end market. Audi's air suspension is very good, but I'm surprised by the lack of 4 wheel steering on their flagship Q8. For me, there were too many compromises on a car that costs $90k+ optioned which sealed the deal. As for depreciation that's a tough call because generally speaking these will all lose value, at least with higher tier models, there are fewer made therefore value should hold a little longer. Best of luck with your Q8, I hope it lives up to what you're looking for. I still recommend trying the new X5 if you get a chance, it won't change your mind but it's worthy of doing even after getting your Q8.

Quick Reply: Q8s at Dealers