AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   Replacing Audi sq8 battery (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/replacing-audi-sq8-battery-3069944/)

Squanto804 04-23-2024 11:46 AM

Replacing Audi sq8 battery

Is there any problem with me replacing my own battery? Does not hold a charge very long anymore. If it sits more than a few days I need to jump it.
Was told if battery was actually bad it would show on dash. Nothing is showing up.

I changed many batteries throughout the years but nothing on something this hi tech.

thanks.

ecloumd 04-23-2024 04:07 PM

I cannot imagine theres anything special about doing a battery change on the SQ8

Robocop1127 04-24-2024 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Squanto804 (Post 25901828)
Is there any problem with me replacing my own battery? Does not hold a charge very long anymore. If it sits more than a few days I need to jump it.
Was told if battery was actually bad it would show on dash. Nothing is showing up.

I changed many batteries throughout the years but nothing on something this hi tech.

thanks.

"You can't change the battery yourself and avoid the dealership because the cars computer needs reprogrammed since it has a battery monitor designed into the alternator and charging system. if you attempt to install your own battery, it will die in a few days and you'll ruin the battery. Can't believe that you're unaware of this being that you own an Audi???

Agent Boost 04-25-2024 07:45 AM

^^^ Not surprised. these vehicles are so tech heavy now. I miss wrenching on my Sport Compact cars from the early 2000s.....it was like a giant lego set!

Pabla 04-25-2024 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Robocop1127 (Post 25902122)
"You can't change the battery yourself and avoid the dealership because the cars computer needs reprogrammed since it has a battery monitor designed into the alternator and charging system. if you attempt to install your own battery, it will die in a few days and you'll ruin the battery. Can't believe that you're unaware of this being that you own an Audi???

The coding can be done with VCDS or OBDEleven, however in my experience its not needed. I didn't do it on my RS7 and the battery has been working fine for over a year since

Robocop1127 04-25-2024 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pabla (Post 25902358)
The coding can be done with VCDS or OBDEleven, however in my experience its not needed. I didn't do it on my RS7 and the battery has been working fine for over a year since

“The need to do it is if your previous battery was only putting out 65% of its capacity then your vehicles charging system compensates for this so if you install a new battery without the proper coding then your vehicles still overcharging as if it was the previous failing battery so although your car might of been fine, it’s not worth the gamble for everyone,especially with how expensive these batteries are today

Pabla 04-25-2024 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Robocop1127 (Post 25902372)
“The need to do it is if your previous battery was only putting out 65% of its capacity then your vehicles charging system compensates for this so if you install a new battery without the proper coding then your vehicles still overcharging as if it was the previous failing battery so although your car might of been fine, it’s not worth the gamble for everyone,especially with how expensive these batteries are today

That is correct, but in my experience it hasn't caused any issues.

otacon 04-29-2024 12:10 PM

Q8 battery is an easy change, located underneath passenger side footwell. Coding is simple click with OBD11 or Audi cable as mentioned before.

Squanto804 04-29-2024 12:40 PM

Where on the OBD11 do you find that reset? I don't see anything on the app.

thanks