Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

U.S. drivers...how does Q8's active lane assist etc compare to MB Distronic Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
The Distronic can be very jerky braking hard and then accelerating hard. Example- set at 80 and see a Semi pull out to pass a truck 1/4 mile ahead. With the follow distance at the factory setting my car gets very close and then brakes hard to slow for the truck. When the lane clears it accelerates at the max sometimes shifting down several gears and lots of engine roar. I now run at maximum follow distance an improvement but still jerky jerky at times. More and more I tap the brake like with Cruise and then hit resume after getting back to speed.
It confuses trucks or RV’s in adjacent lanes at times on a gentle curve....starts to slow for a few seconds and then back to normal. Same thing with irregular objects near the Freeway. Solid walls no problem and does great with off ramp recognition or splitting lanes from one to two.
It crosses lanes at times on curves and turns off. Freeways don’t have sharp corners and it handles sharper curves at slower speeds so it’s like it doesn’t have enough processing power or the firmware needs tweaked. Our Audi handles the same curves hands free but is inferior in most other ways. It’s an early build and I activated Lane Keep with OBD11 but at least I can turn it off or on. Mercedes ticks me off with Lane Keep....it turns back on every time you restart the car. I hate the braking if you cross a solid line- at 60 mph it is too aggressive. Wide shoulder and a vehicle driving too close to you so crowd the line and be prepared for a surprise jolt. My wife refuses to drive the GLE. I have adapted and hope for future improvements. Ironically with Distronic on Lane Keep is Disabled. Even when Distronic is turned on but inactive Lane Keep is still off.
Some overpasses will trigger braking but maybe only one in 25 or more with no apparent reason.
I would buy the Mercedes again but just wanted to point out it’s not perfect either. Mine is not an aberration others report similar issues.
That's interesting. I'm wondering what version the GLE has and if the bigger size of the car makes a difference. What you describe is not my experience with my '19 C63S. It does very well at higher speeds, at least here in Germany. It handles cars cutting in fairly smoothly and doesn't go full bore right afterwards. What mode are you driving in? The behavior of the system depends on the current mode. I generally keep it in Comfort when I have the assist activated and it drives fairly gentle in that mode. Almost a bit too gentle at times slowing down for curves and such. That's not because processing power is inadequate, it's for comfort. Put it in S+ and it will take curves a lot more aggressively and slows down less. Also my lane keep assist stays off if I turned it off. I pretty much don't use the lane keep assist. I only turn on the active steering assist, which is disabled until DISTRONIC is engaged.

The Q8 is not Level 3 capable as far as I know. The new Level 3 Traffic Pilot was first introduced in the all-new A8, then found it's way in the all-new A6 and A7. However, it's paperware at the moment as it can't be shipped in any market anywhere in the world. Audi is currently focusing on Germany trying to get legislation approved so they can start selling it, but they are running into major obstacles. In the USA they've pretty much given up for now as it would be too cumbersome to try to get legislation approved in each state. In Germany at least it can be done at federal level and if it makes it through would be enacted in every Bundesland, however, the question is the wider use in the entire EU. Does the system need to disable itself if you cross a border for example until legislation is in place at the EU level? So for now the Level 3 stuff is a pipe dream that may or may not come to market with the current generation of cars, and I'm pretty sure once legislation is in place MB etc. will quickly come out with their Level 3 system. Audi is putting the cart in front of the horse at the moment instead of focusing on aspects that they can actually sell in the current markets.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's interesting. I'm wondering what version the GLE has and if the bigger size of the car makes a difference. What you describe is not my experience with my '19 C63S. It does very well at higher speeds, at least here in Germany. It handles cars cutting in fairly smoothly and doesn't go full bore right afterwards. What mode are you driving in? The behavior of the system depends on the current mode.
I tried Comfort the first 650 mile leg and Sport on the return. Since then I use Individual Mode with everything Sport except the Engine at Comfort. Sport Mode lowers the GLE 1”. I haven’t done much with Economy Mode. No real difference in issues.
Mercedes with the GLE and BMW with the X5 have had a rough start to the new Gen. BMW shipped with issues and Bimmerpost is loaded with unhappy customers. Mercedes took the loss and has pushed back production and held units at the Factory rather than ship. A few weeks ago a Tuscaloosa paper had an article with pictures of an estimated 30,000 units completed and held for a rumored fix of an “electrical issue”. People that ordered E-ABC over 6 months ago are still waiting. Lots of rumors but Mercedes has acknowledged issues to Stock Analysts has lost market share as well as $$$.
My car was an early build and could possibly have a faulty component but for the most part is high Initial Quality. My educated guess is that the Distronic can’t process inputs fast enough when speed gets around 65-70mph. More speed seems to result in more issues. I think I have 4 cameras located front back and under each mirror that probably are not used for Distronic but for the top view, parking and cross traffic. There is a Camera in the center of the windshield and two triangular shapes on either side that might be Radar or Lidar. For the most part the Tech is well done and very responsive.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I tried Comfort the first 650 mile leg and Sport on the return. Since then I use Individual Mode with everything Sport except the Engine at Comfort. Sport Mode lowers the GLE 1”. I haven’t done much with Economy Mode. No real difference in issues.
Mercedes with the GLE and BMW with the X5 have had a rough start to the new Gen. BMW shipped with issues and Bimmerpost is loaded with unhappy customers. Mercedes took the loss and has pushed back production and held units at the Factory rather than ship. A few weeks ago a Tuscaloosa paper had an article with pictures of an estimated 30,000 units completed and held for a rumored fix of an “electrical issue”. People that ordered E-ABC over 6 months ago are still waiting. Lots of rumors but Mercedes has acknowledged issues to Stock Analysts has lost market share as well as $$$.
My car was an early build and could possibly have a faulty component but for the most part is high Initial Quality. My educated guess is that the Distronic can’t process inputs fast enough when speed gets around 65-70mph. More speed seems to result in more issues. I think I have 4 cameras located front back and under each mirror that probably are not used for Distronic but for the top view, parking and cross traffic. There is a Camera in the center of the windshield and two triangular shapes on either side that might be Radar or Lidar. For the most part the Tech is well done and very responsive.
I've so far used the system up to about 130-140 kmh, that's about 80-87 mph with no real issues. What I've noticed is that sometimes it's a matter of the camera seeing. I've noticed issues in turns where the lane markers cannot be seen well in advance due to the road having downward slope. It can't read the curve ahead of time and then last moment realizes that it needs to turn. In those cases it needs help from the driver, but if the lane markings can be seen well in advance, it negotiates pretty big curves on the highway just fine. Yes, there are stereo cameras in the front and I think infrared cameras that are mostly used to detect pedestrians. Obviously there can be difference between models. The C63 is much lower to the ground and has a pretty steeply raked windshield so the camera perspectives will be slightly different. I'm sure that affects the systems to some extent and may result in better or worse performance between models. Also, the whole system actually learns over time as stated in the manual and calibrates itself. It won't work properly until the car is fully broken in.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-13-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that both Audi & MB use similar Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) manufactured by a common third party. That system incorporates Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) which Audi calls Lane Guidance and MB has called Steering Pilot and Drive Pilot. The problems with those systems which include wandering back and forth within and out of the lane being driven on and actually abruptly swerving out of the lane (typically onto an exit lane}, appear to be related to calibration and alignment which includes a very precise vehicle track alignment, vehicle positioning and a system calibration. An example of that process can be seen at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1wz...ature=youtu.be

It appears that some vehicle manufacturing operations do not perform alignment properly on new vehicles and some dealers/technicians either don't have necessary training or the required precision equipment. Since the process is so exacting, I am not sure how long the system stays in specification even if done properly. I have driven a number of MB and Audi vehicles that display the problems above.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I believe that both Audi & MB use similar Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) manufactured by a common third party. That system incorporates Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) which Audi calls Lane Guidance and MB has called Steering Pilot and Drive Pilot. The problems with those systems which include wandering back and forth within and out of the lane being driven on and actually abruptly swerving out of the lane (typically onto an exit lane}, appear to be related to calibration and alignment which includes a very precise vehicle track alignment, vehicle positioning and a system calibration. An example of that process can be seen at:

It appears that some vehicle manufacturing operations do not perform alignment properly on new vehicles and some dealers/technicians either don't have necessary training or the required precision equipment. Since the process is so exacting, I am not sure how long the system stays in specification even if done properly. I have driven a number of MB and Audi vehicles that display the problems above.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by suni

Your description fits our Audi but not the Mercedes. I believe Mercedes has a newer more advanced system. Mine has never once swerved toward an exit lane and holds the lane very well except on a sharper curve and high speed. It worked in heavy rain and does a decent job with poor lane markings and sun glare compared to our Audi.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Your description fits our Audi but not the Mercedes. I believe Mercedes has a newer more advanced system. Mine has never once swerved toward an exit lane and holds the lane very well except on a sharper curve and high speed. It worked in heavy rain and does a decent job with poor lane markings and sun glare compared to our Audi.
It varies from car to car. I have driven 2019 MB with the problems I described.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It varies from car to car. I have driven 2019 MB with the problems I described.
Not all 2019 MB's have the latest system. Only the ones that have been facelifted or MB released as a new generation. The other's essentially have a system from around 2015/16.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

It had the latest & greatest.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rjabend
It had the latest & greatest.
What Model? Did it have MBUX with dual horizontal screens?

Quick Reply: U.S. drivers...how does Q8's active lane assist etc compare to MB Distronic Plus?