AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   Unusual Warning (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/unusual-warning-2963813/)

Lucci 12-10-2018 05:15 PM

Unusual Warning

Driving home, out of the blue i get a red triangle warning light on the top of my dash and a warning in the VC to pull over, stop driving asap because i have loose lug nuts! I hadn't noticed any vibration and did not hear any unusual sound that might indicate the the lug nuts on a wheel were lose but it kind of scared me so i pulled over. I didn't get the tire wrench out, but i tried to shake each rim back and forth and side to side but i felt no looseness at all; so i jumped in and slowly began to accelerate. Warning didn't change, still no vibration and no unusual sounds.I got up to highway speeds and all seemed normal except for the big red warning triangle and the message telling me to pull over and stop. After a few miles i figured i might be pushing my luck so i pulled over but it didn't seem that I really needed to get out the tire wrench as all of the normal warning signs of a lose wheel were absent. I shut the car off and waited 20 or 30 seconds and restarted. Red triangle was now amber and the warning in the VC changed from lose lug nut to something like continue driving safely assessing wheel status or something like that. Obviously before i drive it again i will get out the torque wrench and verify all is good.
Anyone else encounter this oddity? Anyone hear of such a warning?

Allroading17 12-10-2018 05:27 PM

Yeah that's a new feature for this model. It was probably a fluke for a second

RJC 1 12-11-2018 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lucci (Post 25247050)
Driving home, out of the blue i get a red triangle warning light on the top of my dash and a warning in the VC to pull over, stop driving asap because i have loose lug nuts! I hadn't noticed any vibration and did not hear any unusual sound that might indicate the the lug nuts on a wheel were lose but it kind of scared me so i pulled over. I didn't get the tire wrench out, but i tried to shake each rim back and forth and side to side but i felt no looseness at all; so i jumped in and slowly began to accelerate. Warning didn't change, still no vibration and no unusual sounds.I got up to highway speeds and all seemed normal except for the big red warning triangle and the message telling me to pull over and stop. After a few miles i figured i might be pushing my luck so i pulled over but it didn't seem that I really needed to get out the tire wrench as all of the normal warning signs of a lose wheel were absent. I shut the car off and waited 20 or 30 seconds and restarted. Red triangle was now amber and the warning in the VC changed from lose lug nut to something like continue driving safely assessing wheel status or something like that. Obviously before i drive it again i will get out the torque wrench and verify all is good.
Anyone else encounter this oddity? Anyone hear of such a warning?

Let us know if any of the lugs were actually not trq'd to spec

Lucci 12-13-2018 01:49 PM

In that this continued for 3 days, "continue driving safely" I called the service dept, they indicated that the monitoring of the torque on the wheels is ultra sensitive and that by driving the wheels heat up and thus the torque could change ever so slightly and cause this. To be honest, it sounds like they don't have a clue. Wheel temps change as you drive and especially as you brake, exterior temperatures change all the time if this system is this sensitive in 25 degree weather, next summer will not be any fun at all. I would think they were talking of the TPMS as opposed to lug nuts, but I am to stop by tomorrow " at my convenience" to have them do a quick check. In that the warning suggested it was safe to continue driving i didn't pull the lug caps and check the torque myself.

Lucci 12-13-2018 04:56 PM

Wouldn't you know it, coming home tonight the warning light went out and i have not taken any corrective action. I still plan to take it to the dealer tomorrow and have them pull the data and verify the lug nuts are torqued appropriately.

gk1 12-13-2018 10:08 PM

This is fascinating to me. How are they monitoring lug bolts? Does it use the same vibration software algorithms used for TPMS or is it something else? Would love a picture of that warning. Surely a first on the forums.

jrjunior31 12-13-2018 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by gk1 (Post 25248428)
This is fascinating to me. How are they monitoring lug bolts? Does it use the same vibration software algorithms used for TPMS or is it something else? Would love a picture of that warning. Surely a first on the forums.

Is this monitor even necessary? When’s the last time anyone had a lug nut that needed re-torqueing??

Lucci 12-14-2018 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by jrjunior31 (Post 25248438)
Is this monitor even necessary? When’s the last time anyone had a lug nut that needed re-torqueing??

Exactly my thoughts, this goofy item has now caused me to have more issues with my Q8 in a month than i did with the 18 Q7 in 11 months :)

Originally Posted by gk1

I wanted to say i will let you know after have the service department check it out today, but i am pretty sure they won't know and will give me some goofy story instead of finding out from Audi. I will ask though. If the Stop Driving Alert or the Continue driving safely warning come up again i will grab a picture.

gk1 12-14-2018 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jrjunior31 (Post 25248438)

Exactly, unless perhaps they are trying to get ahead of a possible future new law kinda like TPMS to begin with and standard backup cameras.

Richr 12-14-2018 01:55 PM

At times I think this entire pre-sense system has some loose lug nuts. :)