Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Unusual Warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

Is this monitor even necessary? When’s the last time anyone had a lug nut that needed re-torqueing??
If true, loose wheel bolts can have very serious consequences. I had an experience with sudden vibration from one wheel which was probably caused by loose lugs ( I was the guilty party). More likely that incorrect torque is caused by over-tightening. But vibration would presumably only result if the excess torque deformed the wheel. My dealer ruined (and replaced) wheel lock bolts by overenthusiastic use of a power driver.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Took it in for a quick check today, was supposed to be 10-15 minutes ended up being 90 waste of time.
The told me the computer had logged the event but there was no indication as to why.
They checked the torque on the lugs and indicated it was right where it was supposed to be on all 20. 160 Nm whatever that is.
They contacted Audi and they noted that they are not aware of false error reports as an issue in the field.
They could not explain how the computer determines if the lugnuts are loose, but said it uses the TPMS. Doesn't sound right to me but I have no clue how this is done either.
I just as soon this "feature" be eliminated. If my lugnuts are loose I am going to hear the noise from the tire/wheel when it is not running true.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:46 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucci
Took it in for a quick check today, was supposed to be 10-15 minutes ended up being 90 waste of time.
The told me the computer had logged the event but there was no indication as to why.
They checked the torque on the lugs and indicated it was right where it was supposed to be on all 20. 160 Nm whatever that is.
They contacted Audi and they noted that they are not aware of false error reports as an issue in the field.
They could not explain how the computer determines if the lugnuts are loose, but said it uses the TPMS. Doesn't sound right to me but I have no clue how this is done either.
I just as soon this "feature" be eliminated. If my lugnuts are loose I am going to hear the noise from the tire/wheel when it is not running true.
Ok thanks for the update. I'll assume for now that their software engineers discovered a different harmonic to indicate loose lugs vs. low tire pressure and they incorporated this new "feature" into the Q8. Interesting.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US8573045
Old 05-09-2019, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lug Nut loose warning today

Well, I have had my q8 since November and just got the lug nut warning (for rear right tire) today. A couple of miles before the warning, I went from "all road" to "dynamic." Weather was drizzle and 70's. I was doing nothing "out of the ordinary" when it happened. When I restarted my car I got the "wheel assessment active" warning. "Please continue to drive carefully." Hmmmmm.....on the way home, all the warnings disappeared. Ugh...I really hope this is not the start of a new issue.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got the same issue today

Old 05-09-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That is bizarre that we both got it on the same day!!! Very strange.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what the manual says:

Old 05-09-2019, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richr
At times I think this entire pre-sense system has some loose lug nuts.
LMAO Richard!
Old 09-10-2020, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel loose malfunction

My car also has this problem and just yesterday Audi was able to reproduce the problem while they had my Q8s wiring harness apart. With the wires in hand, they were able to reproduce the problem in the stall. Sorry to say, if you need to have that wheel lose alarm And corresponding low power mode fixed, it might take a rewiring of the harness like my did (yuck what a lemon). This car has been awful to me and 41 days to find this (car in shop) has been a terrible experience.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Teplitz
My car also has this problem and just yesterday Audi was able to reproduce the problem while they had my Q8s wiring harness apart. With the wires in hand, they were able to reproduce the problem in the stall. Sorry to say, if you need to have that wheel lose alarm And corresponding low power mode fixed, it might take a rewiring of the harness like my did (yuck what a lemon). This car has been awful to me and 41 days to find this (car in shop) has been a terrible experience.
This kind of scaring me. For some odd *****, I always have the feeling that I may have to deal with these, even though I love the car and enjoy the techs.

Quick Reply: Unusual Warning