Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Weak defrosting capabilities

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak defrosting capabilities

Hi All !

The recent weather in my area seemed to have overpowered the defrosting capabilities of my Q8. Indeed, I have had to drive a few times in -5C to -10C temperatures under freezing rain/drizzle. And even with the "max defrost" function activated, my windshield did not get properly defrosted which, amongst other things, was very dangerous. To the point where the top half of the windshield was covered with an ice layer and I had to stop and scrape it off. To minimize ice build-up, I reduced speed and kept spraying anti-freeze windshield washer fluid. It helped, but did not solve the problem.

Anyone else has had trouble with windshield defrosting ?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rogueq8
Hi All !

The recent weather in my area seemed to have overpowered the defrosting capabilities of my Q8. Indeed, I have had to drive a few times in -5C to -10C temperatures under freezing rain/drizzle. And even with the "max defrost" function activated, my windshield did not get properly defrosted which, amongst other things, was very dangerous. To the point where the top half of the windshield was covered with an ice layer and I had to stop and scrape it off. To minimize ice build-up, I reduced speed and kept spraying anti-freeze windshield washer fluid. It helped, but did not solve the problem.

Anyone else has had trouble with windshield defrosting ?
At least with all the Audi’s I’ve owned, it’s kind of typical (strange for a car built in Europe).
I find that rather than keeping the defroster on full blast, I adjust the airflow to blow combination eye level & defrost. After awhile it warms up the windshield & makes the situation better, but not perfect.