AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   Windshield Washer Fluid already low (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/windshield-washer-fluid-already-low-2967939/)

707Audi 02-27-2019 06:15 AM

Windshield Washer Fluid already low

Just about hitting 2 months with the Q8 and a little over 1000 miles. Yesterday, the car chimed and the low windshield washer fluid notification popped up. Anyone else had this happen so quick? I haven't used the windshield washers once, so I'm guessing the dealer didn't fill it. Anywhoo, is there special washer fluid for our Audi's? Or can I just pick up some of the blue stuff from the auto parts store?

f10 02-27-2019 06:32 AM

I've gone through 3 refills in the 1 month I've owned my q8. Doesn't make any sense! It's like there's a leak somewhere but nothing is dripping on my garage floor. First low light came on 1 week after getting it.

707Audi 02-27-2019 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by f10 (Post 25282284)
I've gone through 3 refills in the 1 month I've owned my q8. Doesn't make any sense! It's like there's a leak somewhere but nothing is dripping on my garage floor. First low light came on 1 week after getting it.

Weird, are you just filling it up with water?

dubbrand 02-27-2019 07:17 AM

Just refilled mine two days ago. I used an entire bottle of fluid from a gas station. I dont recall using it that often

McGriddle 02-27-2019 07:44 AM

We refilled ours just a couple of weeks ago after owning the car for less than 2 months. It's definitely thirsty for washer fluid.

Mojodog19 02-27-2019 08:30 AM

i assumed the dealer did not fill all the way. Had it refilled and light came on again three weeks later.

d2000one 02-27-2019 09:54 AM

I had to refill mine last week. I've had my Q8 since October and rarely use the windshield washer so I was surprised that it was low. I chalked it up to the dealer not filling it but after seeing this thread that might not be the case. It took a full gallon when I refilled it.

707Audi 02-27-2019 10:47 AM

It is very strange that so many have had to refill so soon. We have had our Volvo for 2+ years now and still haven't had to refill and our Ram is going on 5+ years and haven't refilled it. I haven't used the washers once on the Q8. It has been raining pretty much non stop for the past 2-3 weeks. Do we have headlight washers that come on with the windshield wipers?

tomk 02-27-2019 11:36 AM

Mine was nearly empty when I got it. I believe dock or dealer did not fill up during prep.

d2000one 02-27-2019 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by 707Audi (Post 25282412)
It is very strange that so many have had to refill so soon. We have had our Volvo for 2+ years now and still haven't had to refill and our Ram is going on 5+ years and haven't refilled it. I haven't used the washers once on the Q8. It has been raining pretty much non stop for the past 2-3 weeks. Do we have headlight washers that come on with the windshield wipers?

I've had 3 A7s and I've never had to refill windshield washer fluid in either of them.

SYMAWD 02-27-2019 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 707Audi (Post 25282412)

It uses some to clean the laser for the adaptive cruise, but I wouldn't think it would use that much.

SYMAWD 02-27-2019 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Noggy_Allrad (Post 25282586)
Does it only clean when the windshield wipers are activated? Or is it determined by the ACC system

Don't know, my guess is whenever it has blocked sensor vision.

Norp 02-27-2019 08:14 PM

I live up North in Canada and with all the salt they put down on the roads, we use a lot of windshield fluid during winter. With the Q8, I have to refill the tank, which holds about 5 litres (1.3 US gallons) on average every 1-2 weeks. If you take into considerations that every 5 times you use the wipers/fluid, it also triggers the headlight washers who squirt 2x in a row. Plus every time you start up the vehicle after being stationary for a few hours, it also cleans up the passenger side Lidar unit in the front grille. So all of that combined makes for frequent refills. I would say it uses up at 2 to 3 times what my previous SUVs did.

I haven't upgraded my old VCDS cable to support the Q8 but once I do, I will check to see if there is a way to get the headlight washer not trigger as often for example...

dubbrand 02-28-2019 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Norp (Post 25282693)
Plus every time you start up the vehicle after being stationary for a few hours, it also cleans up the passenger side Lidar unit in the front grille.

So it just automatically does this?

McGriddle 02-28-2019 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by dubbrand (Post 25282775)
So it just automatically does this?

I find this interesting as well. Why only the passenger side LIDAR? Why not also the driver's side unit?

SYMAWD 02-28-2019 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by McGriddle (Post 25282836)
I find this interesting as well. Why only the passenger side LIDAR? Why not also the driver's side unit?

Passenger side is laser, driver side is radar.

McGriddle 02-28-2019 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by SYMAWD (Post 25282838)
Passenger side is laser, driver side is radar.

That explains it. Thanks.

dwboston 02-28-2019 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by d2000one (Post 25282435)
I've had 3 A7s and I've never had to refill windshield washer fluid in either of them.

Do you just buy a new car when it's time to refill the washer fluid?

NyCAudiGuY 03-02-2019 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Norp (Post 25282693)
I live up North in Canada and with all the salt they put down on the roads, we use a lot of windshield fluid during winter. With the Q8, I have to refill the tank, which holds about 5 litres (1.3 US gallons) on average every 1-2 weeks. If you take into considerations that every 5 times you use the wipers/fluid, it also triggers the headlight washers who squirt 2x in a row. Plus every time you start up the vehicle after being stationary for a few hours, it also cleans up the passenger side Lidar unit in the front grille. So all of that combined makes for frequent refills. I would say it uses up at 2 to 3 times what my previous SUVs did.

I haven't upgraded my old VCDS cable to support the Q8 but once I do, I will check to see if there is a way to get the headlight washer not trigger as often for example...

I wonder if our Obdeleven people can see if there's anything for this.

angrypengu 04-06-2019 04:16 AM

Customer states:
• The washer system sprays automatically.
• A pump noise can be heard when driving slowly.
• Excessive use of washer fluid.

Technical Background
The vehicle is equipped laser scanner that has its own
autonomous cleaning system.
If the laser scanner recognizes dirt on its screen, a
message is sent to the Vehicle electrical system
control module, J519 (address word 0009) which in
turn instructs the control module for windscreen
washer pump, J1100 to clean the laser scanner.
The laser scanner is only cleaned while driving at
slower speeds.

On the A6, A7 and Q8 vehicles the laser scanner is
located in the right upper single frame area (Figure 2).
On A8 vehicles the laser scanner is located in the
center lower single frame area below the front license
plate holder (if equipped).
As a result, the customer can get the impression that
the headlight washer system activates itself.
Depending on weather and road conditions the laser
scanner might clean very frequently.
As this also leads to a higher consumption of the
washer fluid, the customer might be concerned about
excessive washer fluid use.

Production Solution
Not applicable.
Service
Please explain to the customer that the laser scanner cleaning is normal behavior that is necessary due to it
being an optical system that cannot “see” through dirt. Depending on weather and road conditions, large amounts of washer fluid can be used by the system regardless
of ACC being actively used or not.

McGriddle 04-09-2019 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by angrypengu (Post 25299660)
Customer states:
As a result, the customer can get the impression that
the headlight washer system activates itself.
Depending on weather and road conditions the laser
scanner might clean very frequently.
As this also leads to a higher consumption of the
washer fluid, the customer might be concerned about
excessive washer fluid use.

This is very helpful. Thanks.