Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi R8
Reload this Page >

Audi Driving Experience

Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Audi Driving Experience

Old 01-23-2019, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi Driving Experience

Howdy all! Not an R8 owner (Q7s here), but we've signed up for an Audi Driving Experience tour this Summer from Munich to Verona and back driving R8 v10 Plus Spyders, across the Alps and the Dolomites. Sounds like a blast, but haven't run across anyone else who's done it. Anyone here been on one of Audi's tours or been to one of their Driving Experience courses? We actually lived in Europe for about ten years, five in Germany, and are pretty familiar with the area and Bavaria (drove an M5 back then - yahoo!). Too bad they no longer offer European delivery.... Thx all!

Last edited by Doc H; 01-23-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow that sounds amazing!!! Last year I went to Austin, TX for the Audi Drive Experience and it literally broke me for life. That V10 behind your head at 9,000 rpm's is just an experience that makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, and 150 mph down the straights and then stand on the carbon ceramics as you negotiate a 90 degree turn...over and over and over.... It was just 10x more amazing than I could have anticipated. After that drive I knew I couldn't live without having one of these. So I'm drained my savings account and just leased a 2018 R8 V10 myself in December. You are going to have the best time ever!!!! I hope you will share some photos of your trip, as there is few R8 posters on this forum. Plus I'm in Iowa, so we are neighbors. If you have any more questions send me a private message. You are in for a bigger treat than you can ever imagine!!!
Old 01-25-2019, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lucky you, I am on the waiting list for the June dates, but flights are starting to get expensive! Hopefully, someone cancels soon LOL. I also did the R8 Track Discovery at COTA in Austin and had a lot of fun (hit 154 mph on the back straight!)
Old 01-25-2019, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I went in 2016 and it is a blast. If you're going in October, get to Munich a couple days early as it's the last days of Oktoberfest. I almost miss Oktoberfest as much as the driving tour.

Have a great time.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MRA5SB View Post
Lucky you, I am on the waiting list for the June dates, but flights are starting to get expensive! Hopefully, someone cancels soon LOL. I also did the R8 Track Discovery at COTA in Austin and had a lot of fun (hit 154 mph on the back straight!)
Roger that. Just snagged the last "reasonable" tickets to Munich. Getting out of flyover country is always expensive, one of the very few things I miss about DC and the Beltway....
Old 02-03-2019, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zbillz View Post
I went in 2016 and it is a blast. If you're going in October, get to Munich a couple days early as it's the last days of Oktoberfest. I almost miss Oktoberfest as much as the driving tour.

Have a great time.
Thanks! Enjoyed Oktoberfest a few times when we were there, but there's only so much beer you can drink. Wait, cancel that...
Old 02-03-2019, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Should be fun. The Spyder is my favorite R8, especially in V10 Plus guise. Make sure to drive with the roof down as much as you can and put on sunscreen :-). I haven't done one of these. They are a bit short and I prefer to be on my own, setting my own fast pace, instead of following a group itinerary and wait on others who might not be used to driving those kinds of roads. I'm from Switzerland originally, so mountain pass driving is in my blood. I'm going to Europe first week of May and stay through end of June. I'm doing my second European Delivery, but with Mercedes this time, since Audi killed their program. Will be driving my new AMG C63 S Coupe the entire time and do a bunch of these kinds of tours myself. I'll probably use some of these as inspiration for my routes.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-03-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Old 03-05-2019, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello Everyone.... I attached the above picture but I'm not sure why the text (below) was not included. My first post here - sorry.

Doc H, as a soon to be owner, I have no doubt you will thoroughly enjoy the tour. I went on the June 2016 Driving Experience and it was simply amazing. Very well organized and executed. First class hotels and meals; not to mention the thrilling drives and scenery! For sports cars, I've been a 911 guy all my life and had planned to order a new one, but after driving the R8 on the tour, I've switched allegiance. I have a deposit on a a new 2020 R8 (there is no 2019 for the US) and am anxiously waiting on the factory's announcement of acceptance for new orders. Unfortunately, Audi's cancellation of their European Delivery Program derailed my plans but as consolation for the disappointment in not being able to drive my own car, I was able to sign up for this October's Driving Experience. I'm really looking forward to it (as well as the hope that Audi will begin deliveries of the new R8s by this fall).

If this year's tour is run like the one in 2016, you'll like the fact that it's not a simple "follow the leader" tour. The guide programmed all of our cars with destinations and way points (e.g., gas and lunch stops) and we were given the freedom to go at our pace (or even take excursions off the pre-programmed routes) as long as we were at the designated points at the times specified. Very classy. It's an experience you'll always cherish. I'm attaching a picture of the line of cars at the Audi facility right at the Munich airport where we got an in-briefing and picked up our cars.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 970A6R8 View Post
Hello Everyone.... I attached the above picture but I'm not sure why the text (below) was not included. My first post here - sorry.

Doc H, as a soon to be owner, I have no doubt you will thoroughly enjoy the tour. I went on the June 2016 Driving Experience and it was simply amazing. Very well organized and executed. First class hotels and meals; not to mention the thrilling drives and scenery! For sports cars, I've been a 911 guy all my life and had planned to order a new one, but after driving the R8 on the tour, I've switched allegiance. I have a deposit on a a new 2020 R8 (there is no 2019 for the US) and am anxiously waiting on the factory's announcement of acceptance for new orders. Unfortunately, Audi's cancellation of their European Delivery Program derailed my plans but as consolation for the disappointment in not being able to drive my own car, I was able to sign up for this October's Driving Experience. I'm really looking forward to it (as well as the hope that Audi will begin deliveries of the new R8s by this fall).

If this year's tour is run like the one in 2016, you'll like the fact that it's not a simple "follow the leader" tour. The guide programmed all of our cars with destinations and way points (e.g., gas and lunch stops) and we were given the freedom to go at our pace (or even take excursions off the pre-programmed routes) as long as we were at the designated points at the times specified. Very classy. It's an experience you'll always cherish. I'm attaching a picture of the line of cars at the Audi facility right at the Munich airport where we got an in-briefing and picked up our cars.
Thanks so much! Really looking forward to it - this will also be our 40th anniversary trip, and spouse and I are hoping to see some of our old haunts. Spent several years in Germany in the '90s and haven't made a return visit together since (back then had a BMW M5 with German specs - sweet!). Loved Bavaria, the food, the people, the countryside, and wife's father was Italian so will love seeing Italy again as well (although at a pretty rapid clip!). Congrats on the October trip - was a toss up for us, and 'Oktober' is a great time to be in Germany - especially Munich! Recent refugees from BMW after 30 years or so, and so far impressed with our Audi experience. Regards!