Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Audi Driving Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Just finished the tour driving this beast all over the Dolomites and the German and Italian countryside - what an amazing piece of machinery!

Old 06-10-2019, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

So let’s hear the details of the trip. We also need some pics!
Old 06-10-2019, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
So let’s hear the details of the trip. We also need some pics!
Audi Driving Experience Summer Dolce Vita Tour sponsored by the Audi Club of North America.- fantastic trip, 5-star experience! 10 cars (R8 v10 Plus Spyders), 20 drivers, through the German and Italian Alps to Lake Garda in Italy; I'm guessing about 1,200 km. Combination of mountain, village, Autobahn and Autostrada driving, with a real workout of cars and drivers, and incredible scenery to match; pretty much free driving with programmed checkpoints and times. Top-notch hotels and food, with an Audi rally team accompanying with luggage vans (pretty skimpy storage in an R8), spare parts, tires, mechanic, and even a spare car (which we used). Can't praise the professionalism and attention to detail by the Audi reps enough. Really first-class, and I would highly recommend it. Below lunch at Tergernsee after leaving Munich at the start of the trip - will try to upload some smaller pics:

Old 06-10-2019, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Random pics along the way:

Old 06-10-2019, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

A little tunnel driving (slow) along the coast; excuse the wind (and v10!) noise:

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Doc H; 06-11-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Great pics! It looks like an awesome time.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:52 AM
ukh
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing this tour in a few weeks with my wife. The Audi tour dates did not suit me, so they arranged for me to do this tour with just the 2 of us. The small print in their website indicates you can arrange a corporate trip, but I was surprised they are letting us do it with just one car at a time which suits me. Same hotels, same route ( which we can modify), same restaurants as the group tour - but less expensive as no "support" crew.
Definitely worth considering.

I currently drive the new A8 (D5) and have never owned a sports car. So far...
Old 08-13-2019, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doc H - I'm glad that you enjoyed the trip. It was interesting to see your pictures and find that I have some pictures from almost the same spots back in June 2016 as you took yours! As I said in my prior post, due to Audi's cancellation of the European Delivery Program, I've booked this October's tour as a consolation. In the meantime, I've finally been informed that the build date for my R8 will be in mid November. Had the Euro delivery not been cancelled, it would have been scheduled for December. Oh well, probably just as well that the program was cancelled. Quattro notwithstanding, I would have been really apprehensive about exploring Europe and messing up my new car during the dead of winter.

UKH - Great to see that the Audi Club and Audi could make accommodations for you. Terrific people in my experiences with them. You may want to arrange storage for some of your luggage while on the tour. The R8's luggage capacity is extremely small.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 970A6R8
Doc H - I'm glad that you enjoyed the trip. It was interesting to see your pictures and find that I have some pictures from almost the same spots back in June 2016 as you took yours! As I said in my prior post, due to Audi's cancellation of the European Delivery Program, I've booked this October's tour as a consolation. In the meantime, I've finally been informed that the build date for my R8 will be in mid November. Had the Euro delivery not been cancelled, it would have been scheduled for December. Oh well, probably just as well that the program was cancelled. Quattro notwithstanding, I would have been really apprehensive about exploring Europe and messing up my new car during the dead of winter.

UKH - Great to see that the Audi Club and Audi could make accommodations for you. Terrific people in my experiences with them. You may want to arrange storage for some of your luggage while on the tour. The R8's luggage capacity is extremely small.
Congrats on the R8! Was tempting, but limited utility 9 months out of the year in the Prairie, as you say even with Quattro! The tour was one of our best vacations, and one advantage of the group tour and Audi support was indeed the luggage vans, as well as support for the drivers - our group actually had a car replaced, as well as several wheels (not mine!).
Old 08-13-2019, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
Congrats on the R8! Was tempting, but limited utility 9 months out of the year in the Prairie, as you say even with Quattro!.
The R8 makes an excellent daily driver. It's my only car, and I live in Iowa. I drive it all winter long without issues, it's a snow monster, even in a foot of snow. You couldn't easily daily this thing in Nebraska. It's an amazing experience and is better in the snow than my TT by far.

Quick Reply: Audi Driving Experience