Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Is the Audi R8 the same as a Lamborghini?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Audi R8 the same as a Lamborghini?

Hi Everyone,

I signed up for this forum to ask a specific question whether the R8 is a modified Lamborghini? I saw a video on YouTube made by a German fellow who was chasing an R8 on the Autobahn. Throughout the video, he was saying that the Audi R8 is basically a lower priced version of a Lamborghini Huracan. He claims that the R8 is the same platform, same engine, same weight, and essentially the same car underneath as the Lamborghini. Is this accurate?

Would love to hear other opinions on this. Personally I think the Audi R8 is a nicer car than the Lamborghini Huracan.

Here's a link to the video I saw:
Old 06-11-2019, 12:52 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

VW Group owns both so yes....they are essentially the same chassis and drivetrain.
One gets a German styling the other an Italian one and a higher price tag.
I'd venture to say suspension tuning varies but I bet not by much.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Different running gears, particularly related to how the awd setups split torque, different interior functions, same basic underpinnings.

R8's get a turn signal stalk; Hurracan's have buttons on the wheel, which is kinda annoying (first world problems!)

Hurracan's get an air lift option, R8's don't. IIRC they use different rotors too (not sure about calipers)
Old 06-11-2019, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
VW Group owns both so yes....they are essentially the same chassis and drivetrain.
One gets a German styling the other an Italian one and a higher price tag.
I'd venture to say suspension tuning varies but I bet not by much.
Thank you. This is helpful. I didn't know that VW had ownership in both.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Different running gears, particularly related to how the awd setups split torque, different interior functions, same basic underpinnings.

R8's get a turn signal stalk; Hurracan's have buttons on the wheel, which is kinda annoying (first world problems!)

Hurracan's get an air lift option, R8's don't. IIRC they use different rotors too (not sure about calipers)
Thank you. I agree - turn signal stalk is way preferable over the annoying buttons.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The R8 and Huracan were jointly developed on the same platform. Engine is shared, but Audi and Lambo do different tunes. The Huracan can be had with a more powerful version of the engine. Audi does offer the R8 V10 Plus, which is often called the baby Huracan. It has a mode above Dynamic called Performance that offers a tune closer to the Huracan. The R8 in a way is the more livable Huracan . It's more spacious inside and a bit tamer. Typical Audi DNA. More daily driveable I suppose. The R8 offers Audi flavors such as the typical Comfort, Auto, Dynamic drive mode settings, whereas the Huracan offers Lambo flavors with Strada, Sport and Corsa modes. The Huracan is more flamboyant and the latest Huracan Evo has a very cool new chassis dynamics system, and the Performante previously has active aero. All things that Audi doesn't offer on the R8. They have common roots, but each one has a different focus and the Lambo offers flavors of the Huracan that go way beyond even the R8 V10 Plus.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Strange video - no license plate numbers, no people, hazy focus, no significant wind noise. Looks more like a video game than an actual video, or a significantly doctored video of some sort....

Last edited by Doc H; 06-12-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
The R8 and Huracan were jointly developed on the same platform. Engine is shared, but Audi and Lambo do different tunes. The Huracan can be had with a more powerful version of the engine. Audi does offer the R8 V10 Plus, which is often called the baby Huracan. It has a mode above Dynamic called Performance that offers a tune closer to the Huracan. The R8 in a way is the more livable Huracan . It's more spacious inside and a bit tamer. Typical Audi DNA. More daily driveable I suppose. The R8 offers Audi flavors such as the typical Comfort, Auto, Dynamic drive mode settings, whereas the Huracan offers Lambo flavors with Strada, Sport and Corsa modes. The Huracan is more flamboyant and the latest Huracan Evo has a very cool new chassis dynamics system, and the Performante previously has active aero. All things that Audi doesn't offer on the R8. They have common roots, but each one has a different focus and the Lambo offers flavors of the Huracan that go way beyond even the R8 V10 Plus.
Good information. Thank you. So with all these considerations, if you had to choose between the cars, which one would you prefer?
Old 06-13-2019, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Donald.Logan
Good information. Thank you. So with all these considerations, if you had to choose between the cars, which one would you prefer?
The Huracan Evo hands down. I actually spent quite a bit of time driving various R8s last year. We had a program called Audi on Demand in San Francisco until it was terminated late last year. This program allowed me to drive various Audis including several variants of the R8 on a pay per use basis. I took advantage of it as I was searching for what to replace my '13 RS5 with. I took the R8s on many of my favorite canyon runs, but I didn't fall in love with it. The quattro system is somewhat clinical and distributes the power strangely. I much preferred my RS5 in the canyons. It uses quattro much better and the active rear differential makes it fun. I haven't driven a Huracan as I wasn't really serious about getting a supercar. Just wouldn't work as my daily and I don't have room for a third car, but I was very impressed with the unveiling of the Evo and Lambo since the Performante has addressed many of the issues that still plague the R8 such as the strange quattro power distribution. I'd love to drive the new facelifted R8. I might change my mind if they've addressed some of what I didn't like, but I ended up getting a 2019 C63S Coupe for now. I did European Delivery and I'm currently still here in Germany enjoying the car on the Autobahn. It's something I did with the RS5 as well, but Audi stopped their ED program as well as of last year, so that was another nail in the coffin for me. However, doing ED with an R8 would have been difficult from a luggage storage standpoint. My weapons of choice are really high performance GT coupes, so cars like the C63, RS5 etc. Monsters on wheels with enough room for a weekend out of town and comfortable to drive long distances. A supercar for me would be a weekend toy that I would rarely drive.
The following users liked this post:
katzjamr (11-02-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 04:08 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Donald.Logan
If cost is no concern it's Lambo all the way. Far more unique and dramatic than any Audi...even the R8.
However for the price of a Huracan Evo you could get an R8 Performance AND an A4 or maybe even S4 for daily use.
The following users liked this post:
b5s4 (02-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Is the Audi R8 the same as a Lamborghini?