Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

R-Tronic vs S-Tronic

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default R-Tronic vs S-Tronic

By now we all know that the S Tronic is finally going in the 2013 model. My S4 has an S-Tronic and I love it. I would love to have an M/T but My Manual days are just about over so I had to chose the S-tronic in my 2011 S4. I remember reading that AUDI was not able to implement a similar DSG Trans in the R8 V10 due to too much tq but it looks like they have been succesful at it

With their newer 2013 Model coming out, you could probably land a phenomenal deal in a 2012. In fact, a dealer about 3 hours away from me is offering me a 2012 V10 spyder for $159K. But I have heard the R-tronic was clunky and problematic and for the other $12-$15K, I thought its worth getting the S-Tronic. The S-TRONIC is real quick and smooth as silk in my S4 and I hear in the 2013 V10 R8 its 3.6 secs (0-60) and 4.3 in the more mild mannered V8 Version).

What are your thoughts?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Save the manuals! I hope to always have at least one vehicle with a manual transmission. Current one is a '01 Beetle Turbo. One day I plan to have an R8. Probably will get one with a V10 a couple years after Audi puts the W12 in them.

I'm 51. I remember my dad buying a new '78 VW Rabbit with a stick when he was 54. He was not nearly as much of a car nut as me.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Save the manuals! I hope to always have at least one vehicle with a manual transmission. Current one is a '01 Beetle Turbo. One day I plan to have an R8. Probably will get one with a V10 a couple years after Audi puts the W12 in them.

I'm 51. I remember my dad buying a new '78 VW Rabbit with a stick when he was 54. He was not nearly as much of a car nut as me.
well ya, sure! I wish I could still drive a manual the way I want to! Who wouldnt get that car in manual? But medical issues make it very difficult and even quite unsafe for me to manipulate a clutch. There is no use spending any amount of $$$ on a manual when after 10-15 minutes in the car, it becomes troublesome due to a medical condition.

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 08-12-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an S-Tronic in my S4 as well. I have driven the R8 with the R-Tronic on the track but I haven't owned the R-Tronic. So I can't say whether it is problematic or not. But it's definitely clunky and not nearly as smooth as the S-Tronic. You can coordinate the gas pedal with the shifts to get things to be fairly smooth if you practice. Maybe that becomes second nature after you've owned the R8 for a while.
Anyway I'd say that the S-Tronic feels like a really great alternative to a manual. I prefer it in the S4 or I would have chosen the 6-speed. But in the current R8 I'd get the manual before the R-Tronic (or go for the 2013).
Old 08-12-2012, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by WoodyV
I prefer it in the S4 or I would have chosen the 6-speed. But in the current R8 I'd get the manual before the R-Tronic (or go for the 2013).
ya, my thoughts as well. The DSG isnt perfect though. I needed a SW update in my '11 S4 as once in a while, it would behave erratically in the lower gears. Problem was it was very rare and I never could replicate the issue in front of the dealer. So when the update came in, they flashed it. Hasnt happened since the flash but time will tell.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
well ya, sure! I wish I could still drive a manual the way I want to! Who wouldnt get that car in manual? But medical issues make it very difficult and even quite unsafe for me to manipulate a clutch. There is no use spending any amount of $$$ on a manual when after 10-15 minutes in the car, it becomes troublesome due to a medical condition.
Had no idea it was for medical issues. Hope all is well and you enjoy your R8 with whatever transmission you choose.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I haven't had an R8 with R-tronic long enough to have any issues with it, but for sure it takes time to get used to driving it. Compared to S-tronic, or even a torque converter, it's very herky jerky till you get the hang of shifting at full power, or any kind of power.

If I was buying, I'd get a manual (and a coupe) V10, but I'd still think either R-tronic or S-tronic are fine, with the S-tronic being a smoother shifting box.

R-tronic can be made to operate smoothly, but it takes a little practice.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
I haven't had an R8 with R-tronic long enough to have any issues with it, but for sure it takes time to get used to driving it. Compared to S-tronic, or even a torque converter, it's very herky jerky till you get the hang of shifting at full power, or any kind of power.

If I was buying, I'd get a manual (and a coupe) V10, but I'd still think either R-tronic or S-tronic are fine, with the S-tronic being a smoother shifting box.

R-tronic can be made to operate smoothly, but it takes a little practice.
I'm with ya. seems ridiculous not to get this car in a manual. Heck, I even had difficulty in choosing my S4 in its DSG version. I have no control over life though. I figure that I shouldnt pass on an opportunity to drive a fine engineered car just because manual driving days are at an end.

have already driven a couple of V10 R-tronics. They did seem clunky. In one of them I swear I had traction control on but I didnt. I will be sure to test drive a 2012 and 2013 R8 together.

The S-TRONIC R8 is suppose to have a 3.5 0-60 time. Having an S4I already an idea of the tranny's smoothness but I would love to feel a 525 HP DSG car feels like.