Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

R8 $1 Removable Front License Plate DIY. Works great,

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R8 $1 Removable Front License Plate DIY. Works great,

For about one dollar, and in 10 minutes time, I built a simple, yet elegant solution for a super quick push in/pull out license plate frame using two toggle bolts installed backwards and some electrical tape. I think this device is better than any other option I found for purchase, including elaborate manual and remote controlled electric devices that install under the front end of the car and retract – – they won’t work because the clearance is too low.

First, contact your dealership’s parts department to order plugs for the honeycomb grille. You’ll want these because when you unscrew the factory standard license plate frame, you’ll see that there are two open cells that need to be filled for a better appearance and to match the design of the rest of the grille. I think I paid iabout $10 for the two plugs.

Then, attach two large toggle bolts to an aftermarket license plate frame (I had one laying around, but you can buy them at any auto supply store) with the toggle’s “V” shape facing the backside of the license plate. To attach the plate to the grille, squeeze and hold the toggle shut with your finger while inserting it into the grille opening and it will pop out on the inside of the grille. Because the toggle is installed backwards, to remove the frame you simply pull the whole frame straight out and it will collapse the toggle as you remove the frame. Tweak the position of the toggles on the bolts

so that it has just enough clearance on the inside to open fully and hold the frame snuggly. Wrap the threads of the bolt with electrical tape, as well as any other parts of the bolt and frame that will come in contact with the grille so it will not scratch or mar the plastic. I also cut some pieces of foam rubber and glued them onto the frame so it will hang parallel to the grille and also give it a more snug fit.

While I would not recommend keeping the license plate in the grill while driving, I have forgotten to remove it a couple of times and the frame stayed in place, as the springs in the toggles are fairly strong.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I hated to add a plate to my R8...but thankfully it ruined the look MUCH less than some sports cars. Your idea is simple and works well....nice!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. I agree that the factory installed license plate frame doesn’t look that bad at all, and much better than other cars I’ve had. I debated whether not to remove it and come up with my alternative. But seeing the full honeycomb grille without the plate, I think it looks even better, and as it was intended to look.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Great DIY mod. Will try this out since a front plate is needed in NY.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NYC RWS
Great DIY mod. Will try this out since a front plate is needed in NY.
Thanks NYC RWS. Let me know how it works out for you.