Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

CLK63 AMG Black Series -vs- R8......anyone had both?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CLK63 AMG Black Series -vs- R8......anyone had both?

Hi, everyone!

So I have been on the fence for a while about selling my '08 Mercedes CLK63 AMG Black Series and going to the Audi R8. I bought the Black Series just over 2 years ago, and have genuinely loved driving and owning it. It is a very special car, and makes noises that make my inner car guy cackle with joy. The issue becomes that the car is so rare that as I approach 30k miles, I am getting really nervous about keeping it because the value will just fall off of a cliff. The 'Catch 22' of having a low production car is that if you actually drive it regularly you just dump resale value after a certain point, and I cannot drive it in the winter for several reasons. Until recently I was going to just sell it and not even replace it, mainly due to lack of garage space.

Which leads me to why I am here. I have driven a few different R8s over the years, and quite enjoyed the manual transmission V8 and V10 cars. They remind me of my NSX in several ways, including the ability to drive them every day, in all weather (with proper tires). Where I am stuck is in trying to figure out if the R8 is almost too usable of a car, and if I will miss the Black Series if I sell it and go to an R8. Have any of you owned both? What were your impressions? Do you regret going one way versus the other?

I like unique cars, and the R8 is certainly unique in looks. But lucky for me they made enough of them that I will not feel bad piling miles on it, versus my Black Series where they only made 349.

Any help is appreciated. Have a great day!