Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

R8 versus Ferrari F430 versus Aston Martin versus Porsche 911 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R8 versus Ferrari F430 versus Aston Martin versus Porsche 911 GT3

While the Ferrari cost more how does the R8 compete against other exotics and supercars for the money?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that's a tall order - u'd have to fine someone knowledgeable that's driven all 4

look around for mag comparos

<a href="http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/">Car Magazine</a>

<a href="http://www.evo.co.uk/">EVO Mag</a>

<a href="http://www.automobilemag.com/index.html">Automobile Mag</a>
Old 04-14-2008, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No Aston experience, but F & P are harder to drive & most folks will crash at lower speeds..

... where as the R8 is so forgiving that folks can go much faster before they crash it.

OK, so thats a very pessimistic review, but will hold true quite often.

R8 is amazing... its such a different car than the 430 and GT3 though... a mix of driving skills and tracks will net a ton of results in different performance comparos.

But for the money the R8 and GT3 would be better performance and you'd probably sacre your self less in it too.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driven R8, F430 and 996 GT3. All depends what you want. As a daily, the R8 is extremely compelling.

When the road turns twisty, it feels less likely to spit you off if you screw up slightly. Very communicative chassis. Makes even going slow a pleasant thing - which cannot be said about the others.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:51 PM
V8

Default I've driven the R8, F430, 997 GT3, and AM DB9/Vantage...

My favorite would be the 997 GT3. I felt that it was easily driven daily, but at the same time it seemed to be the purest sports car from a driver's standpoint. If I were to do track days in any of these cars then I would prefer it be in a 997 GT3.

Second goes to the R8. I did the 2-Day ASE @ Infineon and found the R8 to be very easy to drive fast because the handling is so well balanced--it's superb, but a little detached when compared to the GT3. I also felt that it was a bit down on power and/or a bit too heavy. I would consider it to be a possible daily driver, more so than the Porsche.

Third would be the F430. Pure sex from a looks, sound, and overall driving experience perspective. It's so expensive though that I've never driven one very hard, barring straight line acceleration. Maybe that's why I don't like it so much. That and the ridiculous cost of ownership to go along with some of the reliability issues previous owners have told me about.

I've never been too impressed with any Aston Martin and I've driven both the DB9 and Vantage a couple of times. Very nice interiors and the exterior looks are stunning, but the performance just isn't there.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 PM
V8

Your sig photo is awesome!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:22 PM

Default Driven R8, GT3RS, DB9, 360 stradale

Ferrari is too twitchy and scary expensive to maintain (even for rich guys!) The GT3RS is too harsh for driving on real roads, the DB9 is a good GT car and the R8 does them all really well but it doesn't dominate one category. Ferrari wins the looks, AM wins the class, GT3S wins the pure performer and the R8 touches everything slightly. My pick? R8 cause I'm not rich and I can only have one sports car.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

heh, thanks!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Driven R8, GT3RS, DB9, 360 stradale

Great comparison- I like the R8 and while not as nice as the Lamborghini Gallardo still a lot less money and most of the looks and style and can drive every day. Ferrari always more of a show weekend car. Aston Martin does have the looks but not the performance.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Originally Posted by V8
My favorite would be the 997 GT3. I felt that it was easily driven daily, but at the same time it seemed to be the purest sports car from a driver's standpoint. If I were to do track days in any of these cars then I would prefer it be in a 997 GT3.

Second goes to the R8. I did the 2-Day ASE @ Infineon and found the R8 to be very easy to drive fast because the handling is so well balanced--it's superb, but a little detached when compared to the GT3. I also felt that it was a bit down on power and/or a bit too heavy. I would consider it to be a possible daily driver, more so than the Porsche.

Third would be the F430. Pure sex from a looks, sound, and overall driving experience perspective. It's so expensive though that I've never driven one very hard, barring straight line acceleration. Maybe that's why I don't like it so much. That and the ridiculous cost of ownership to go along with some of the reliability issues previous owners have told me about.

I've never been too impressed with any Aston Martin and I've driven both the DB9 and Vantage a couple of times. Very nice interiors and the exterior looks are stunning, but the performance just isn't there.
Interesting. I thought I'd chime in, as I've owned a V12 Aston Martin, owned a 997 GT3 (Sharkwerks 4.1L car) when new in 2007, and have spent a lot of time driving R8s (V8 and V10), F430s, 458s, and now own a 488 GTB. Honestly, I think the 997 GT3 is the most engaging car of the group by far and it's one of the only cars I regret selling, along with my Gallardo Balboni Edition. Buy the 997 GT3. Forget about an F430.

Quick Reply: R8 versus Ferrari F430 versus Aston Martin versus Porsche 911 GT3