Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A6 C5 Stereo Install Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dangling connector that is not being used, would be the plug for the nav, phone - mute etc. The metra harness does not have a section for the plug. The 3 plugs outlined in yellow are the ones being used.
Here's an image of what factory plugs are being utilized.

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Maybe I'm confused by the late hour .... I think we're saying the same thing:
-when wired "correctly" you get sound from RF, RR, LR speakers, but not LF.
-when you shuffle the connectors, you can get LF sound, but then some other speaker is off

Have you looked at the Symphony sticker and compared the connected pins?

That's from RNS-D Nav+ but Symphony is similar - though I don't seem to have it online, it had a NAV mute and a Phone mute. What was connected to those mute inputs before and what's connected now?

What happens when you disconnect whatever dangling connectors from your Symphony? That is, hook up the Symphony with the same connectors as the Metra uses - leaving the Nav/Phone/whatever one dangling. If we can prove the dangling connector causes the problem we can figure out why.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here are a few pics of whats being utilized.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by aca6c5
The dangling connector that is not being used, would be the plug for the nav, phone - mute etc. The metra harness does not have a section for the plug. The 3 plugs outlined in yellow are the ones being used.
Here's an image of what factory plugs are being utilized.
Is anything connected to the MUTE pin from the upper right corner of your circled yellow box? How about the K pin from the same connector?

Since the speaker-out connection should be unused, try disconnecting that one for grins (large 8 pin connector with the 2 speaker icons in the middle row of your circled yellow box).

I'd also try running the Symphony with the right hand uncircled vertical 3 part connector for NAV, PHONE, etc disconnected.

I suspect something is confusing the Bose amp and making it think it should mute the driver's speaker. I suspect that's because it's seeing a MUTE signal when it shouldn't. IIRC, those are ground-to-MUTE pins, so floating them should be the right answer but a little experimentation (as above) might give us a better idea.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yup there is a harness connected to the MUTE pin from the upper right corner of the pic (circled in yellow) But not 100% sure if there is anything connected to it from the metra harness.

Ill try running the symphony with the connector for the nav, phone etc disconnected and see what happens..

Thanks a ton for your assistance!!

Is anything connected to the MUTE pin from the upper right corner of your circled yellow box? How about the K pin from the same connector?

Since the speaker-out connection should be unused, try disconnecting that one for grins (large 8 pin connector with the 2 speaker icons in the middle row of your circled yellow box).

I'd also try running the Symphony with the right hand uncircled vertical 3 part connector for NAV, PHONE, etc disconnected.

I suspect something is confusing the Bose amp and making it think it should mute the driver's speaker. I suspect that's because it's seeing a MUTE signal when it shouldn't. IIRC, those are ground-to-MUTE pins, so floating them should be the right answer but a little experimentation (as above) might give us a better idea.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is nothing that is connected to the MUTE pin from the metra harness. Also I tried to run with out the brown plug attached for the lf and rf speakers as shown in the middle connector that is circled in yellow. Still nothing. Ill try to see what happens when i try to run with the Nav/Phone plug removed from the Symphony radio.

Is anything connected to the MUTE
pin from the upper right corner of your circled yellow box? How about the K pin from the same connector?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Read this post on AudiZine.
Re: Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD with Metra Wiring Kit Difficulties... No sound...
I gave up and brought it to best buy... it took that guy about 5 minutes to figure out that Metra had put the wires (talking about red amp harness here) on the wrong side of the harness..... so I paid him for that and now it works good! Funny thing is that I ordered the metra harness for bose systems... stupid metra!

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...lties-No-sound

I never verified that the wires from the metra match up with the left front channel.
Another task list item to check.
Ill report back soon.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Offically out of ideas.. Still the same issue with the new harness. Verified that the pin layout for for the RCA connections are correct per the sticker on the Symphony radio...

Yup there is a harness connected to the MUTE pin from the upper right corner of the pic (circled in yellow) But not 100% sure if there is anything connected to it from the metra harness.

Ill try running the symphony with the connector for the nav, phone etc disconnected and see what happens..

Thanks a ton for your assistance!!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Offically out of ideas.. Still the same issue with the new harness. Verified that the pin layout for for the RCA connections are correct per the sticker on the Symphony radio...
Crap, I'm stumped too I was so sure it was the muting line somehow but I just went and looked through the schematics and I'm not sure it even goes to the Bose amp, so I may have been way off from the beginning.

Have you ever tried it without the ground loop eliminator?

I'm grasping at straws
Old 01-10-2014, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I just went and looked through the schematics
Actually, the ONLY thing I see going between the head unit and the Bose amp is that 6-pin connector with RF, RR, switch, COM, LF, LR.

COM would be COMmon or Ground, RF/RR are the Right Front and Rear channels, LF/LR the Left Front and Rear.

The little switch symbol is most likely the remote power switch for the Bose amp.... to what is that connected on the Metra?

Seems like it would either be tied to power or ground - at a guess, to ground - floating might be bad. If it's not connected, hook up the Symphony and measure that pin with your voltmeter to see what happens when you turn the radio on and off....