Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017+ Bang & Olufsen Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017+ Bang & Olufsen Owners

It doesn’t matter which Audi you own as long as it’s 2017 and above.

I just wanted to know if the rear speakers play as loud as the fronts. I care about the rear sound stage as I do the fronts.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

It does matter which Audi you own, as the B&O systems vary substantially from model to model. And when it comes to rear sound staging, it also varies substantially amongst body types within the same model.

Most of them have the ability to set soundstage to the rear, and the fader control to adjust volume between the front and the rear. Loudness and sound stage is not the same thing, either. Most have more acoustic power available to the front than the rear.

If you want the best performance for rear seat passengers, get an A8 with the optional (ie real) B&O system, as it is designed to deliver just that. If you don't want to buy an A8, then qualify your question.
The following users liked this post:
Logic227 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
It does matter which Audi you own, as the B&O systems vary substantially from model to model. And when it comes to rear sound staging, it also varies substantially amongst body types within the same model.

Most of them have the ability to set soundstage to the rear, and the fader control to adjust volume between the front and the rear. Loudness and sound stage is not the same thing, either. Most have more acoustic power available to the front than the rear.

If you want the best performance for rear seat passengers, get an A8 with the optional (ie real) B&O system, as it is designed to deliver just that. If you don't want to buy an A8, then qualify your question.
Thank you for your response. I should’ve specified that I’m interested in the A4, A5 Sedan, and Q5. And you’re right, loudness and soundstage are two different things. I just want the car to play throughout the whole cabin without adjusting the fader. Manufacturers like Lexus advertise that their is “immersive sound” in the entire car but only play sound out of the front speakers and the subwoofer. There is hardly any sound coming out of the rear and I don’t like that.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Logic227
Thank you for your response. I should’ve specified that I’m interested in the A4, A5 Sedan, and Q5. And you’re right, loudness and soundstage are two different things. I just want the car to play throughout the whole cabin without adjusting the fader. Manufacturers like Lexus advertise that their is “immersive sound” in the entire car but only play sound out of the front speakers and the subwoofer. There is hardly any sound coming out of the rear and I don’t like that.
I understand. The Front, All, and Rear soundstage settings in the B&O systems have significant differences, so will not be like your Lexus example. You will probably like the All setting, but best to go to a dealer and listen for yourself, as this is a subjective area. The DSP settings in the system can have quite radical effects on the sounds, in different seating positions. So between sound stage, 3D / surround settings, in addition to the more typical audio settings, there is a lot of flexibility in setting the system up. The other side of that coin is that it can be very time consuming to fiddle with it. Whilst the A4 sedan, A5 coup'e, cabriolet and Sportback, and the Q5 all use essentially the same system, there are some differences in speaker positioning, and the subwoofer application is different in all models (not sure about Q5). But you'll get a reasonable sense of the B&O system from which ever B9 or Q5 model you can listen too. Take an SD card with your own music, perhaps.

There have been a number of posts in each of the models forums (B9 A4 and S4, B9A5/S5/RS5, and Q5 Series II forums) on sound systems which may be worth searching for. And you could ask the question again in one of those forums, as most of the traffic is in the model specific forums rather than the technical discussion areas.

Here is an overview of the B&O systems across all the Audi models:
https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/solu...utomotive/audi