Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 S5 - SD Card not Playing songs on Playlist

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 S5 - SD Card not Playing songs on Playlist

Hi all, I've been bashing my head trying to figure out how to get iTunes playlists to work using my SD card.

I recently upgraded my ride from a 2013 S4 to a 2018 S5. The issue I am experiencing is only with the S5. I can take a perfectly usable playlist on my SD card out of my S4. When I insert it in my S5, it will no longer play.

My process is to export the playlist from iTunes by saving it as a .m3u file. I open the file in notepad and remove the C:\Users\myuserid\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music from the file path so only the artist/album/song is left. This method has been working flawlessly for years in my S4.

I have contacted Audi customer support and scoured the internet searching for an answer, but to no avail. Can anyone help solve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
Old 09-17-2017, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully you've already gotten this answered/resolved. If not, maybe this observation helps.... I'm a new 2018 S5 owner also (delivery a week ago), and also have been trying to get playlists to work.

What I've found is that the directory structure for the files within the playlist seem to use "relative" path address referenced to where the playlist itself is located. So, for example, if the playlist is at the top level of the SD card, then ".\MUSIC FOLDER\....\filename.mp3" works but "\MUSIC FOLDER\...\filename.mp3" will not work.

I like to keep my playlists in a sub-folder, and have had to resort to the following structure for the file references in my playlists to work (this assumes the playlist is only one-level deep in the directory hierarchy):

"..\MUSIC FOLDER\...\filename.mp3" .

I have not found a way to use an "absolute" file name reference, i.e. bound to the root of the SD card, in the playlist entry for the music file to be recognized, although it seems there should be a way based on previous posts on this subject I've seen. Perhaps a change was made to MMI behavior in the 2018 model, I've no history on them to comment.

What I'd really like is to be able to put playlists on a card in SD2, referencing tunes in the card on SD1 - but I've no clue if that's supported or what directory syntax would be required.

Cheers