Sponsored by:

A6 retrofit bluetooth confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 retrofit bluetooth confusion

Hi Guys,

Recently I've purchased my first Audi, a 2006/11 month A6 Allroad 3.0 TDI in Hungary. I am in love with the car so far only missing Bluetooth from it. The car has 2g MMI high, with BOSE sound system, CD changer in the glovebox and navigation DVD in the back trunk. The car also has the phone cradle in the middle armrest if I am not mistaking this is called phone preparation.

My first question is is it possible that the car has this phone prep but does not have Bluetooth? Because I've seen something that these come together but when I tried to search for the car on my phone I could find any bluetooths. I am thinking it does not have Bluetooth since it is the very earliest model of the C6/4F?

I already managed to update the navigation maps and MMI to the newest version but the second MMI CD (out of 3) which supposed to be the Bluetooth did not succeed. Does this mean that the car does not have Bluetooth or it could also mean that the Bluetooth module is just broken?

Secondly, even if it has the factory Bluetooth disconnected or the module is broken, I could not stream music through that (which is my main priority now) so I've been looking into alternatives and found 2.

1. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-GENUIN...4AAOSwYL9Z06Qp
I feel a little confused with this one, is this a separate Bluetooth module, so if my car has no Bluetooth will I be able to connect my phone with Bluetooth to this and stream music through it? Does anyone have experience with this device? like how fast it connects or sound quality?

2. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-H...palQz9&vxp=mtr
This definitely seems to be the solution to all my problems, except that I have to sacrifice the CD player/changer to connect this. (Sub question; if the car has the BOSE system it must have the MOST fiber optics cable in it right?) I saw a video on youtube that it is possible to loop it in somehow with the CD player so both could be working simultaneously but the ebay seller doesn't say anything about that and I also cannot find the necessary extra cables and/or accessories. Can anybody help me out with details on that?
Also if I have broken bluetooth module can I just swap this with the factory bluetooth instead of the CD changer? does that also have the fiber optics cable?

I am kind of new to all this but I've been trying to do a lot of research online, I would appreciate any kind of help.
Thank you very much in advance!
Gery
Old 03-19-2018, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What happens when you press "TEL" button? Take note that Audi pairs with your phone just first 5 minutes after ignition. Original Audi Bluetooth modules you can purchase via Kufatec.

For music bluetooth streaming you have many options

1. Original OEM AMI (Audi music interface) and any bluetooth car receiver with integrated battery connected to AUX input (Tune2Air and similar solutions do not work on MMI 2g, it has to be via AUX and needs to have battery)
2. Dension module with integrated bluetooth module
3. Kufatec web site with numerous solutions to your problem.

I am not satisfied with bluetooth sound quality and i am currently working to solution how most easily and elegantly bring AUX cable from the glovebox to the armrest. so I do not need to keep my phone in the glovebox.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can just plug obd2 and see what is your instaled modules ... bluetooth have module under the carpet on front just dont remember what side...
Some older car have issues there very often go's water into it from sunroof and bl.modul will stop working but you can't streaming music over it anyway. One more thing if you have non working Bluetooth module the mmi stop working also because there is infrared wiring going over and connecting all of the modules.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ilorenci
What happens when you press "TEL" button? Take note that Audi pairs with your phone just first 5 minutes after ignition. Original Audi Bluetooth modules you can purchase via Kufatec.

For music bluetooth streaming you have many options

1. Original OEM AMI (Audi music interface) and any bluetooth car receiver with integrated battery connected to AUX input (Tune2Air and similar solutions do not work on MMI 2g, it has to be via AUX and needs to have battery)
2. Dension module with integrated bluetooth module
3. Kufatec web site with numerous solutions to your problem.

I am not satisfied with bluetooth sound quality and i am currently working to solution how most easily and elegantly bring AUX cable from the glovebox to the armrest. so I do not need to keep my phone in the glovebox.

HI,

Thank you for your answer, unfortunately, my car has no AMI nor aux input. Only visible thing is the phone cradle in the middle armrest. it is a little weird that also no bluetooth because the car has extremely high-level extras, such as parking camera, electric trunk open, tire pressure and temperature display etc so its weird it doesn't have anything for audio entertainment other than the CD changer...
Anyhow.. since it also has a BOSE sound system I really wanted to have the best quality music, so at the end I bought this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-A....c100033.m2042

which is connecting to the car's MOST fiber optics system and stream music through that. Assuming that this product itself is good quality, I believe this will provide the best quality sound.
I will get back home in 9 days and will do the install shortly after that, I'll give you an update on how is the sound.
Thanks again
PS I have a TPMS problem with the car if anybody knows about tire pressure monitoring systems please check my other post
Old 03-28-2018, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by vikislap
You can just plug obd2 and see what is your instaled modules ... bluetooth have module under the carpet on front just dont remember what side...
Some older car have issues there very often go's water into it from sunroof and bl.modul will stop working but you can't streaming music over it anyway. One more thing if you have non working Bluetooth module the mmi stop working also because there is infrared wiring going over and connecting all of the modules.
Hi,

Thank you for your message. So I guess my car has no Bluetooth since the MMI and everything else on the fiber optics circuit is working (except if they manually coded it to ignore the broken module and/or looped the fiber optics to leave the Bluetooth out..)
I just got a very inexpensive obd2 cable from eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Cable-K...WQtUCTn7Da4rpQ

I will eventually hook it up with the car but I've never used VCDS before and don't really know where to start.
If you have some good tutorial for beginners I would highly appreciate it

Thanks again
Gery