Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android Auto in MMI vs Mirroring it

Old 02-26-2018, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Auto in MMI vs Mirroring it

So I bought a 2018 S3 sedan but it comes with a MMI headunit without navigation and thus can't be used with Android Auto on the 7" car screen. I really want this function, so I'm thinking about either buying a new or used MMI MIB2 headunit with Nav plus (the harman high module) on ebay, or buying a screen mirroring kit like this one:

https://www.vag-navisystems.com/a3-8...-mib/1582?en=1

People who have used one or the other system (or preferably tested both), which do you like best and why? I'm trying to think of differences and this is what I've come up with. I also have a bunch of questions. Please feel free to add or correct:

Similarities
  • Both can show android auto screen contents on the 7" screen. As an added bonus the mirroring solution can show non-android auto (ex: youtube) content on the 7" screen.
  • Both should be able to take voice input commands. I don't know if the car mic (mmmi retrofit solution) is better at catching commands than the phone mic (mirroring solution).
  • Both send audio through the car speakers.

Differences
  • Retrofitting the MIB2 unit to use Android Auto would allow commands to be input via car center console buttons. Mirroring requires inputs via the phone itself. I don't know if Android Auto via MMI allows inputs through the phone as well (which would be useful when trying to input an address into Maps). Can someone confirm this pls?
  • The mirroring solution might have (?) input lag and responsiveness might not be as good (?).
  • IF I were to buy the MIB2 unit WITH the touch writing input center console I could finger in addresses. I don't know how useful this function is in real world applications though. Is it as fast as writing it in a phone keyboard, or is it just a gimmick?
  • MIB2 unit costs ~$1000 on ebay, Mirroring costs ~$700. Both numbers are +shipping and installation costs.
  • Mirroring is wireless, MMI retrofit requires a USB cabled connection.
  • The mirroring solution would require some type of Video-in-Motion (VIM) defeat mechanism, I guess? I don't know if there's one available.
  • I just thought of this one: Mirroring might cause static screens (ex: the selection menu) to remain on the cellphone for prolonged periods of time. This is an issue with OLED phone screens (i.e. Samsung Galaxy screens and the latest Iphone screen) because it will cause burn-in. I'm assuming Android Auto enabled via MMI turns off the cellphone screen during use? Can someone confirm this pls?
  • It might prove clunky to switch between the mirrored android auto and the MMI menu? I don't know. I'd assume changing between MMI android auto and the mmi menu would be seamless.

Any help answering these questions is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2018, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's work - I ended up going with mirroring since it was a cheap option and proven to work, The threads that I have been following about full integration seem to be filled with problems eg. signal loss etc. Now this option I propose below is good for both iPhone and android but dies require VIM defeat (use OBDevelven it's simple), MMI to composite cable adapter and Beuler mirroring adapter. There are a few available (one actually has HDMI too but doubtful you have an HDMI out on your phone) The nice thing about the Bueler is that it charges the phone while in use. There are apps that you can use to dim the display while mirroring bu It just do it manually.

I use voice controls to do most of the switching of music etc.. It works quite well since the touch screeen is a no go.

Check this out -
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...1#post12935049
Old 05-29-2018, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm confused. I test drove a 2018 S3 last week that didn't have nav. Android Auto worked great, though.