Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creating m3u file for playlist.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creating m3u file for playlist.

Hi I am due to get my first Audi in April it's a Q2. I have sorted out an SD card for it with music loaded on it and I have also created a playlist though Windows media player, I have changed all the to have the "S:/" in the path for the songs, my question is can you leave the meta data from the media player in the header of the file?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-24-2019, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Durpinator
Hi I am due to get my first Audi in April it's a Q2. I have sorted out an SD card for it with music loaded on it and I have also created a playlist though Windows media player, I have changed all the to have the "S:/" in the path for the songs, my question is can you leave the meta data from the media player in the header of the file?

Thanks in advance
I've attached a sample playlist that I created for my SD card. There shouldn't be a drive letter included in the path for any of the songs in the playlist. Change the extension from .txt to .m3u and then view it in Wordpad
Attached Files
File Type: txt
1001 Albums - 0001-0050.txt (101.2 KB, 259 views)
Old 03-24-2019, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by captain_video
I've attached a sample playlist that I created for my SD card. There shouldn't be a drive letter included in the path for any of the songs in the playlist. Change the extension from .txt to .m3u and then view it in Wordpad

Thanks, can you use the directories as I'm wanting to have three folders, artists, albums and playlists. I understand that the songs would have to be put on twice, once in artists and once in albums. But I just wonder if you can navigate a file structure. There's not much info about using an SD card, and I'm really one for order in my music.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Durpinator
Thanks, can you use the directories as I'm wanting to have three folders, artists, albums and playlists. I understand that the songs would have to be put on twice, once in artists and once in albums. But I just wonder if you can navigate a file structure. There's not much info about using an SD card, and I'm really one for order in my music.
Yes, you can use directories. If you look at the playlist sample I uploaded you will see that each song in the list is preceded by the directory name in which the song resides. I'm not sure about using multiple playlists. I'm using an Alpine X701D-A4 head unit with a USB adapter for microSD cards, but this is the same structure I used with the Audi Concert system. It should display the file folders and their contents and you can navigate through them and choose individual songs if you prefer. In fact, I seem to recall that the Audi system was better at navigating the files than my Alpine. I use Playlist Creator for generating my playlists. It's free software and works great. You can add multiple folders for creating long playlists that span multiple CDs or albums. You may have to open the playlist in Wordpad to edit them if you want to rearrange the order in which the CDs are played. It tends to put the folders in alphabetical order even if you add them randomly to the program.