Sponsored by:

Definitive Dension Gateway 500 A6 MMI Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power issue RESOLVED

Originally Posted by Niglov
Hi - thanks for such detailed and helpful information. One question. Did anyone resolve the power connection issue? I don't see any more discussions about this. Is the gray wire switched or unswitched, does it matter and/or is there an alternative?

Hope someone can clarify this.

Regards

Nigel

The previous original post is misleading with regard to power. I too followed these directions and found myself with all sorts of MMI issues. Save yourself the headach and aggravation and tap into the fuse panel on front passenger side for "contstant" power. I used a small fuse block on the other end to prevent the wire from frying.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here are images of the fuse block i used and location
Attached Images   
Old 11-30-2013, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello guys,

I really found the guide for installing the dension gateway 500 useful. But I have stumbled upon a couple of problems installing this machine. I was wondering if you have suggestions on how to solve them.

So I’m trying to install this thing (Dension Gateway GW51MO2 in an Audi a6 (2006) MMI high. I followed your instructions carefully and can confirm that:

1) connection of positive to un-switched power source (connected to CDC) is working (12v output)
2) negative connection to ground is OK. (used a bolt in the roof of the glove box housing).
3) triple checked all the connections for the optic circuit.

But when the Dension is connected in the way you describe nothing is working. The MMI won’t boot, or at least the screen stays black (although sometimes it shows a minor sign of life, a couple of flashes on the screen when I press setup button). Besides the Dension itself does nothing at all. When I connect the aux it doesn’t flash the blue light (neither in service or normal mode).

So I have been to the local mechanic, he confirmed that all connections to the Dension look OK. Then I went to the Audi dealer. They suggested it could be something related to the firmware of the MMI conflicting with the firmware of the Dension. He offered to diagnose and update the computer. (but charging a €75 an hour this is not really an option). My only thoughts are that the Dension was DOA all the way.

I removed the Dension and suddenly my MMI is working again. Now I read the most recent post regarding the wrong instructions in the guide. So could this be my problem? I metered the input for Dension/CDC and it stated 12V, with the key out of the ignition. I' lost.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Dennison 500 install

Hi
Thanks for your great description. I know it’s probably for you ‘a bit late in the day’ but do you still have a copy of the photos you submitted for the install instructions. I would like to attempt this on a A6 2005. Thanks for your time
Regards
David