AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video and Security Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audio-video-security-discussion-15/)
-   -   Help with system please................ (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audio-video-security-discussion-15/help-system-please-2008483/)

homeslice 08-17-2002 03:17 PM

Help with system please................

Ok i just spent a good bit on my set up
i bought boston pros speakears front/rear
jl 10w6, xtant 5 ch amp
I have it all hooked up to my audi symphony
it sounds like crap!!!! my non bose system sounded way better what is wrong??
anyone ever done a similar set up with the factory head unit? suggestions?
i'm gonna take it back and try to maybe work out a diferent set up.

muvment 08-17-2002 04:36 PM

Get rid of factory head unit IMMEDIATLY, its stock, therefor, it sucks

The R 08-17-2002 04:48 PM

Hmmm....I had my system off the stock HU.....it's sound good but is much better

now with the aftermarket HU. Which Xtant Amp are you using?

You need to give more details. When you say it sounds like crap, what sounds bad.. Not enough mid bass, not enough sub, high crackle, engine whine....what is it doing?

HDClown 08-17-2002 05:50 PM

get a clue.

BoostTed 08-18-2002 12:57 AM

you are prob running hi-low convertors for the speakers.

hi-low convertors are ok i guess for subs but I know most people complain about them for speakers, what you can try is get teh blitz adaptor. Im not sure if it will allow rca output or rca input you will have to do some research on that.

audi-o-man 08-18-2002 01:53 AM

Well...

The components are good, Boston Pro, JL 10w6, and Xtant amp. I wouldn't necessarily take it back, because that's not the problem. But, maybe this: For the JL 10w6, this is a dual 6 ohm woofer, so I am assuming you are wiring each voice coil in parrallel...this would drop the ohm to 3 ohms...First of all, if you got a 10w3, you could drop the ohms to 2 ohms. This will extract more power from the amp. What is the power output (RMS) from the amp? The 10w6 is designed to handle more more than the average JL woofer, and therefore requires a lot more power to run efficiently, the recommended power handlig is 300 watts RMS, it should, really be as close to this as possible, any less power will sacrifice distortion-free volume. You can run 150-200 watts just fine, but volume and efficiency will be sacrificed. Also, the stock stereo restricting too. If you want better sound, replacing the stock head is a good idea.

muvment 08-18-2002 02:13 AM

R u a moron? try looking at something as simple a signal to noise ratios.

or how about frequency response? stock audi decks are ****.

HDClown 08-18-2002 04:48 AM

all of that is irrelevant, he has a problem aside from the deck, and the deck is of decent quality..

It's not better than aftermarket, but it's not complete **** either.

Merkin 08-18-2002 04:56 AM

try a different amp

borrow 1 from a friend or such, and test it.
if it sounds good or bad, it sure narrow down the problem.

HIS4 08-18-2002 08:38 AM

What do you mean by high crackle.

Is it when it sounds like the high end is distorted and almost sounds like static? I have that problem and I think it's just the stock head but I wasn't sure. It would make me feel better to know that someone else has the same problem. I've grown tired of the stock head so I'm getting some new stuff installed soon.