Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high praise for Icelink+

Old 01-25-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high praise for Icelink+

Just got mine installed yesterday, works like a dream. Lets you access five playlists with CD buttons 1-5, and you can get to the rest as well via button 6 and some scrolling. Can also use iPod itself to choose tracks if someone is riding shotgun.

Sound quality is unbelievable. Can't believe I waited so long to install this!!

Matt
Old 01-26-2005, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Please tell us more..............Dennison claims that...........

....ICElink+ will display song titles on the head unit, and that it is compatible w/Audi units. Is that true?. I find it hard to shell out $200USD for the capability to select 5 playlists.

What does the head unit actually display while using iPod?. What are some of the other features that you find worth the money?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:49 AM

It does not display song titles. HU is not compatible
Old 01-26-2005, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you should clarify that. or maybe i can: it works, just won't display song titles (at least in B5)

dennison's website is misleading at best.

call Tom and yell at him. he doesn't listen to me.

the cdchanger wire was never meant to cary txt data so they probably will not ever get that part of icelink+ working in our existing cars.

basically we just get the features of icelink (previous version).

it's well worth the $200 IMO
Old 01-26-2005, 08:49 PM

Default what I find worth the $

right, the OEM HU doesn't display CD text. it only supports "RDS" which is broadcast by radio stations. there are some newer HUs which can take CD track info, which is what IceLink+ sends, so they will probably figure out sometime how to hack that over to RDS.

What was worth $200 (ok, $300 with install) was this:

1. No more ugly, icky tape-adapter wire dropping out of my cassette deck

2. No more ugly, icky tape-adapter artifacts -- clicking, popping, etc -- while listening to music

3. Sound quality as good as my CD changer. No transponder or tape adapter can come anywhere near.

4. Ability to skip ahead (and back) on tracks w/o touching iPod.

5. Ability to select playlists w/o touching iPod. (5 of them are coded to your disc buttons, and you can reach the rest too.)

6. Still able to choose albums, artists, etc using my iPod if I am PARKED and not driving.

I used to try to manipulate my iPod while driving and it was just way too dangerous. That plus lousy sound quality made my setup lousy. IceLink+ lets me listen to high-quality music safely.

Hope this helps.
Matt
Old 01-26-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: you should clarify that. or maybe i can: it works, just won't display song titles (at least in

it's better than the last icelink because you can choose 5 playlists with the CD buttons. this may sound trivial but it saves you from having to muck with your iPod while driving. (Of course, if you only ever listen to one playlist, then you wouldn't care.)

i agree, Denison has lousy support, but at least they do listen to customers' ideas. i complained to that same Tom that IceLink was dangerous w/o mapping the CD keys to playlists like the BMW integration kit did, and whaddayaknow, they released that in the IceLink+.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wow....$300 for ipod...and $200+ for iceLink. A $350 PhatBox is looking pretty good at the moment..

....hey..ipods are cool...but if you don't need them to be portable...then the PhatBox is another alternative. I just installed mine...and it is sweeeeeeeeet.

to each...their own.
-ted
Old 01-27-2005, 11:28 AM

Phat noise still less expensive, but don't forget the $130 harness needed for phat noise
Old 01-27-2005, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup...for those with a 2003/2004....but still only $105 from clairparts.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:16 PM

Default how do you buy music onto phatbox?

do you have to always rip CDs? any way to buy music online and download directly?

that's what i like about iPod. i tried using my Treo 600 as a music player for a couple of months; sounded great and was nice to have only one device, but it was a nightmare buying music online and downloading.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: high praise for Icelink+