Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to hear distortion in a subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to hear distortion in a subwoofer?

I have a 12" RF XLC in my 20V. How to I tell for distortion, i don't know what it sounds like. Right now the gains are set about halfway on 300W kennwood amp to the 200Wmax sub, and the bass level is what i like, but i want to make sure i'm not hurting the sub. Also, would cutting out half of 8 guage wire to get it o fit in a spade connector (for the ground wire) affect performance of the sub?

thanks,
matt
Old 02-08-2001, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to hear distortion in a subwoofer?

to listen for distortion, just turn it up to a somewhat high level that you listen to, open the trunk and listen to it from right next to it. if you have any ear for music whatsoever, youll hear distortion if there is any, if you cant tell, just crank the bass for a moment to see what it really sounds like, youll know when you hear it. as for the connector, you probably shouldnt do it like that, it may put a little stress on the amp, though it wont really hurt anything. go to some stereo shop, or tweeter and get an 8 guage connector for like $2, it may help the sound a little.
Old 02-09-2001, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Don't forget -- there are different types of distortion

I am not talking about the most common amplifier specification: THD (total harmonic distortion).
THD is barely audible, especially at the low percentages which most amps are listed at.

There can be distortion at the input stage of an amplifier-- if you are sending it a signal that is too hot.

The amplifier itself can be distorting.

Or the speaker can be distorting.

You'll know if it's the speaker -- the cone will reach its maximum excursion, and will buzz at those loud levels. It is a very unpleasant sound.

Amplifier distortion (overdrive) is much harder to hear, and even harder to tell where it's coming from. But it is probably the most common form of distortion.
At lower distortion levels, the sound might be compressed. When the amplifier is actually clipping (being overdriven) the music will hear staticky. Think of the distortion on an electric guitar. That is amplifier distortion. Fine for that one instrument-- but you don't want the whole song to sound that way!

Usually you'll know if your system is distorting when you turn up the volume, and it does not seem to go any louder. It just gets more compressed from that point on. And the level of "static" increases as you keep turning the volume ****.

Input stage distortion is much harder to hear.
Basically it sounds the same as amplifier distortion, but if common sense tells you that the amplifier is not really working that hard, and the system should NOT be distorting, but you hear it anyway, then the distortion might just be in the input stage.

If you want a good example of distortion, listen to the Beatles' "I am the Walrus." That is a filthy recording, with all sorts of overdrive distortion.

If you want to experiment with overdrive distortion, without risking any of your equipment (or your ears), record something onto analog tape.
Crank the input level so that you are recording the whole thing with the VU Meters in the red.
Analog tape is good for +6 or +8. If you hit +10 (off the meters on most tape decks) the tape will distort.
You won't damage any equipment, but you can hear what distortion sounds like at various levels.

GOod luck,
Peter