Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instructions for updating 2018 A4 navigation database with an SD card

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instructions for updating 2018 A4 navigation database with an SD card

My 2018 A4 recently updated its navigation database via wifi. The update covered 3 or 4 states in my area.
When the update completed a message told me that I could update the entire database via www.audiusa.com

Despite my research efforts I was unable to get a complete set of instructions for downloading the complete database and using an SD card to process the update.
Most references to this process were for earlier models and years - each having different processes.

I finally put it all together and present below the requirements and steps so that no one else will tear out their hair over this.

What you'll need:
- Computer with an internet connection
- Java installed on the computer. (This is free to download)
- A blank SD card with at least 16 Gb of space
- An account on www.audiusa.com/myaudi (Free - requires a VIN to register)
- Some patience. It will take about an hour to complete the process on your computer (may differ depending upon connection speed)

At Home:
- Click on "Audi connect services"
- Make sure that your model and year is displayed (a pic of the car matching the VIN should be visible)
- Scroll right on the audi connect services icons until you find "Map Update"; click on it
- Select "Entire package" then "Prepare Package"
This will kick off a process to download a "downloader" file (with the suffix ".jnlp") that will manage the db download.
You will promted to save the downloader file. (Remember where you put this file!)
- After this download completes locate and click on the the downloader program (it will be named "downloader -xxx-xxx-xx-xx.jnlp" where the xxx's represent lots of letters and numbers).
The download program will first verify the .jpnl file then start the database download.
You must have Java on your computer to continue beyond this step
You will be prompted to allow the program to run and then to identify a folder where the database files are to be stored.
You can put them on your computer - or save them directly to the SD card.
- When the download is complete you should have 5 items on your SD card: two folders (Mib1 and Mib2), and three files -
one each: .txt, .xml, and .md5

In the Car:
You can update the database with or without the engine running. It took about 30 minutes for mine to complete; I did it while driving.
- Press "Menu"
- go to "Settings"
- Press the left folder button (" ] ")
- System Mainenance
- Software Update

The system will highlight the SD card where the database update is located.
NOTE: If you have anything else on the SD card it will not be highlighted.

- select the highlighted SD card
- Allow the update to start. A progress bar showing percent completed will appear.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Deanv, this is excellent. Thank you!

Since your instructions indicate to click on "Audi Connect Services", does updating maps using SD card following your instructions above require an Audi Connect subscription?
Old 01-23-2018, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't know whether a subscription is required. I'm using the free subscription that came with the car when I bought the A4 a few months ago.
I've been unable to get a clear answer from the Audi website ... sorry.
I think that the easiest way to answer your question is for you to try to create an account on AudiUSA.com and see what happens.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! The having to click on the .jnlp file was a bit less than intuitive - no idea why Audi doesn't just provide file downloads for these directly. I don't think many browsers auto-run Java apps anymore, so definitely a weird gap.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

It could be because the download is encrypted for your VIN only and hence needs some intelligence because it can be copied to an SD card. Stops you from giving this SD card to a friend
Old 04-24-2018, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ahh, I didn't think of that. Makes sense in a way - I have a couple friends with Mazda 3s and they both bootlegged their nav maps to load them on to a car without nav enabled. It helps that they had an open SSH port to enable the functionality, heh.