Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod Connection with Nav system/radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Connection with Nav system/radio

Total Frustration! I have the Nav system with integrated radio and CD changer in my '05 Allroad. I have been told by both my dealer and a top aftermarket audio shop that it is impossible to create an audio input line into the system so I can connect the headphone output on the iPod into the car audio system--I guess because there is no auxiliary input line available in the unit. I've had enough of the poor audio you get when using the FM connection for the iPod. Anybody have a solution that does not involve me losing the CD changer?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Do you have the Navigation Plus...

...or just the navigation unit in the trunk that shows its information on the DIS and a Symphony head unit with integrated CD changer? In latter case, search for DICE which will give you a CD changer-like device to connect an iPod plus AUX in. If you have the Navigation Plus with external CD changer then you are stuck and have either stay with the external changer or remove it and replace it with a DICE.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Do you have the Navigation Plus...

I have the Nav Plus in my '05 Allroad stick. If I had it to do over again I would get the Symphony Radio and a Garmin Nuvi. I have the Nuvi in my other car ('07 Mini Cooper S) and it is fantastic compared to the Audi Nav. system. The Nuvi has state of the art software with touch screen operation, while the Audi's is clearly from the stone age. Getting back to the iPod, my sense is that if I don't mind losing my CD changer I can use that connection for the iPod, otherwise I'm out of luck.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Correct, no way to get iPod and CD changer connected at the same time.

Did you consider using SD cards?
Old 06-09-2007, 02:02 PM

Default This "top aftermarket shop" amuses me... here's your answer

The signal from your CD changer to your HU needs to be interrupted with a signal switcher.

You can make one with two relays, or you can use a switcher like the AUX3 from Soundgate.

The CDC must be selected, and then the attractive flat-black round toggle must be installed somewhere.

I would probably put it in the center console pocket below the center armrest.

It involves some wiring to be performed at the back of the HU. If you don't want any wires to be cut, a "T" harness could be made using a PIE "T" harness and a CDC cable. I have the parts in my stock, wouldn't be hard to put together.

Please note that this does not allow control of the iPod from the HU, but it does allow direct audio from the iPod to the HU input. I'd personally wire it with an iPod charging cable too...
Old 06-09-2007, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I reckon drop the stacker and add a DICE - you get integration instead of just line in...

Once you've experienced the conveninece of an iPod, you will unlikely to bother with CDs again. Except for the initial ripping of course. Plus it's all plug and play stuff.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:20 PM

CDs still sound better.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agree. I personally prefer vinyls but they still can't make roads smooth enough.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Actually, the Dension Gateway 400 will allow for OEM CD changer and Ipod..

...at the same time. However, it's a $400 part...and the CDC wiring is setup for a B6/B7 glovebox CD changer.

In griffin's case, this would be overkill...there is another solution to this...

...see my post above...
Old 06-11-2007, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default There is a solution to this...my recommendations:

1) Your 2005 allroad with OEM RNSE did not come from the factory with the trunk CD changer...but did come prewired for SAT radio

2) You CAN hook up an Ipod (I prefer the DICE; $150 from enfig.com) and easily integrate it with the RNSE...AND have it controlled via the RNSE and Steering wheel controls.

I've built a few harnesses like this for other customers. This is very, very doable...and anyone with simple DIY skills can install it. You DON'T need to be a master "top aftermarket shop" (snicker, snicker..)...to make all of this work and install it yourself.

Drop me an email...and let's chat offline.

-ted
teddybgame@hotmail.com