Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI display issue -temperature dependent

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI display issue -temperature dependent

Any ideas what might be wrong with the MMI display in my car and what the fix is? The MMI display in my 2011 A8 won't come on unless the ambient temperature is less than about 25 degrees fahrenheit or warmer than about 70 degrees fahrenheit. The display rises out of the dash like its supposed to and the MMI system works flawlessly otherwise.

If it is very cold out, less than 25 degrees, the MMI display works fine until the car begins to warm up--once it is warmer than 25 degrees in the car the MMI display flashes off until the ambient temperature in the car warms up to above 70 degrees in the car--it usually takes about 15-20 minutes of driving to achieve the warm temperature needed for the MMI display to come back on and stay on.

Even if the display screen won't stay on it will still always flash on for a split second as the screen begins to pop up from the dash. When the screen rises out of the dash, if the ambient temperature is within the ranges the MMI wants it will still flash on, then immediately off until it is fully extended out of the dash and then will stay on. Before these problems began the MMI display would be on and stay on without flashing from the moment it emerged from the dash.

Since the MMI display issues occurred I have tried to troubleshoot the problem by installing a new OEM battery and coding the battery in with VCDS. This did not solve the problem. A VCDS scan just says no communication with the MMI when the display won't come on.

Last edited by Direwulff; 12-28-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Direwulff
Any ideas what might be wrong with the MMI display in my car and what the fix is? The MMI display in my 2011 A8 won't come on unless the ambient temperature is less than about 25 degrees fahrenheit or warmer than about 70 degrees fahrenheit. The display rises out of the dash like its supposed to and the MMI system works flawlessly otherwise.

If it is very cold out, less than 25 degrees, the MMI display works fine until the car begins to warm up--once it is warmer than 25 degrees in the car the MMI display flashes off until the ambient temperature in the car warms up to above 70 degrees in the car--it usually takes about 15-20 minutes of driving to achieve the warm temperature needed for the MMI display to come back on and stay on.

Even if the display screen won't stay on it will still always flash on for a split second as the screen begins to pop up from the dash. When the screen rises out of the dash, if the ambient temperature is within the ranges the MMI wants it will still flash on, then immediately off until it is fully extended out of the dash and then will stay on. Before these problems began the MMI display would be on and stay on without flashing from the moment it emerged from the dash.

Since the MMI display issues occurred I have tried to troubleshoot the problem by installing a new OEM battery and coding the battery in with VCDS. This did not solve the problem. A VCDS scan just says no communication with the MMI when the display won't come on.

UPDATE, problem is just a loose wire connecting to the MMI screen. You can see the wire with flashlight shined into the gap. I poked it with a business card and the screen goes on and off when the wire is manipulated. Local Audi dealer quoted me 3 hours of labor at $500 and a mandatory $150 diagnosis fee on top, what a joke. I explained to them I've already diagnosed it and it couldn't possibly take them more than one hour--there is a video of an A8 dash being disassembled in less than 10 minutes on youtube.