Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parrot CK3100 Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parrot CK3100 Install Questions

Now that I have received the Parrot device I am less certain about the install. For some reason I can't find the threads I've read previously regarding the install.

The control box has two connectors on each end. On one end the connectors are straightforward: one goes to the display unit and the other to the microphone. The connectors at the other end are for power and radio integration (not counting the separate mute wire).

The power and integration wiring bundles appear designed to plug directly into the HU. Apparently the factory connector is unplugged from the HU and the Parrot connector is plugged in and the factory connector is then daisy-chained on an extra connector on the Parrot harness. This applies to both the power and integration wiring. The mute wire is plugged in separately.

I don't believe for a minute that it can be this simple. PaulW's cool adaptation for the S8 tells me the install is not plug 'n play.

Should I give it a try or do I need to know more? Anybody have experience with a Parrot CK3100 and a Symphony II HU?

If it's not too difficult, I'll install the CDC cable for my Phatbox at the same time. Who needs sanity!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Parrot CK3100 Install Questions

your in luck.......I install these things for a living. And I have the ck3100 in my 05 A4.
First question is....do you know how to find your radio mute wire on your radio?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Mute wire is marked on Parrot and radio...

...but there are three mute wires on the Parrot harness. I am not sure which mute wire to use. On the radio, the connector map of the Symphony II shows one mute wire on Connector IV, Pin 1.

Is that a start?

You don't happen to live in the Dallas area, do you?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Mute wire is marked on Parrot and radio...

I dont..sorry..in so cal I think its the yellow wire on the parrot.....but try all 3...youll know the right one when it mutes the radio... It is basically plug and play.....run the mic wire down the left A pillar.....mic placement is critical......i would mount it in the center unobstructed. Some people like to place it in the factory mic location....but it impeeds the performance of the mic and picks up a lot of vibration from the headliner. You will have to tap an ignition wire at the fuse box as there is no ignition wire on the back of the radio, simply cut the orange wire off the molex plug and run it to an ignition source off the fuse box. Thats about it. Not to hard. Depending on the type of phone you have.....you can also wire in a cradle for charging and added reception.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:10 PM

Default I have my CK3100 mic installed in the factory location.....

...it DOES pick a lot of noise but only when driving at speeds. Where do you recommend placing the Parrot mic for optimal performance?
Old 06-17-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: I have my CK3100 mic installed in the factory location.....

Just outside of overhead console...ill post a pic of mine tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default By ignition source you mean...

a source providing power even with the ignition and/or radio off? This could be the cigarette lighter or something of that nature?

EDIT: I now think ignition source means 12VDC power only when the ignition is on. I'll clip the orange wire as advised and tap into a wire at the fusebox - maybe the Homelink wire.

I had forgotten that my car has OnStar so there is already a wire in the mute connector. Do I pull the 3 OnStar wires (I don't want OnStar) and patch in the Parrot wires in their place on Connector IV? They must have done this to bypass Bose.

I sure appreciate your help, forcedfed! I feel better about doing this install today.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The mute (yellow on the parrot) is simply providing a ground when engaged

I suppose you could run it in conjunction with the on-star mute or as you mentioned - you don't want on-star so unplug those.

As for mic locations I have always placed mine on the cover for the rear-view mirror wires (at the windshield) which ssems to provide great fidelity.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Halfway There!

I removed the radio, plugged the two parrot connectors into the radio, daisy-chained the radio connector to the Parrot connector, ran ignition power from the fuse box - and it ALMOST works. The Parrot powered up and successfully paired with my cell phone (Sony Ericsson T637). Wifey called me and could hear me but I couldn't hear her. No audio.

What I have left to do is get the audio and mute connected. I think I saw (but can't find now) an alternate wiring scheme for Bose systems. If I recall, I have to move two wires from one of the Parrot connectors to the 10-wire connector on the Symphony II (Connector IV). I see wires in Pins 3 and 4 of Connector 4, probably from OnStar, so I am guessing that's where the Parrot wires go. The mute goes on Pin 1 of Connector IV, which also has a wire (probably) from OnStar.

This is WAY over my head but I never let little things like that stop me.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated! :-)
Old 06-18-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: By ignition source you mean...

correct....ignition is hot only when the car is on and off when car is off......you can simply tap the onstar wire with a T-tap...no need to remove it. Or you can simply cut the sheath that surrounds the copper wire and wrap your mute wire from the parrot around it and then solder it in place (reccomended) or put electrical tap around it and zip tie over it to keep it in place. If you have any questions please fel free to call me and I'll help you out

619 203-1316

Darren J.

Quick Reply: Parrot CK3100 Install Questions