Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phatbox, Audi Concert, and scanning through songs

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phatbox, Audi Concert, and scanning through songs

Can it do this? With my CD changer, if I held down the track skip button, it would scan through the song instead of skipping to the next track. Now that I have the Phatbox installed (yay!), it seems my only option is skipping from one file to the next.

If I AM supposed to be able to scan through songs, do I possibly have the wrong firmware? When I initially installed it, when I got to the step of telling it which head unit I have, skipping through the various options would explicitely say which head unit it was "Audi Concert, Audi Symphony", etc. I only played with it enough to know it worked (didn't try doing a fast scan through a song). Then I took the DMS in my house, put some music on it, and upgraded the firmware using the tool built in to the music manager. I specifically selected Audi firmware (went from 5.xx to 7.xx), and the release notes mentioned that it was now compatible with many more Audi head end units. When I put it back in my car, it had to be re-configured since the firmware had been upgraded. But it no longer said "Audi Concert", it just said "radio a, radio b", etc. Since the Concert was option 7 before, I put it back on option 7 again (which happens to be radio "c").

So, is scanning a feature that isn't available on the Phatbox with my head unit, or is either my firmware or head unit selection wrong?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Problem fixed, but new question....

Some web searching has revealed that my Concert (I) radio is considered to be a radio type "N". So the install documents that came with the radio that say to skip to track 7 for the Concert radio are no long correct with the newer firmware. Seeking within a song now works.

There is one thing that still doesn't seem to work correctly. My understanding is I should be able to press the "scan" button to hear the data on the current track. Pressing scan just tells me what playlist I'm in, even if I'm not in playlist mode. In fact, I haven't even set up any playlists yet, so never use that mode, but no matter what mode I'm in, pressing scan always returns: "Playlist: Audible" (I assume there is an Audible playlist preinstalled).

Any Ideas?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ...5 second rule: Wait for the song to play 5 seconds first...then you can scan through.

...reading the manual or pocket card will help too.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: ...5 second rule: Wait for the song to play 5 seconds first...then you can scan through.

Thanks - yes, I was doing that, the problem was I had it configured for the wrong head unit. The unit shipped with firmware 5.2, and the installation instructions said to go into the configuration mode and skip to track 7, which was the Audi Concert. Once I upgraded the firmware, the voice prompts no longer stated the head units by name, so I made the assumption that it would have been in the same spot as before (track 7). That was an incorrect assumption... it's not considered a "radio N", which is something much higher than track 7.

The remaining issue is still there, however. I understand that I'm supposed to be able to press the "scan" button to hear the track info. Regardless of what mode I'm in, however, pressing the scan button always returns "playlist: Audible". I haven't even been using playlist mode. Are you getting the track name, etc., when you press scan during track play?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default won't announce track name...only artist/playlist/genre name...

...although..I have a Nav+...so I don't have a scan button.

YOu should look into Phatvoice option...see my sig..etc...etc.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Turned out to be some kind of corruption...

I had a few files that woudln't play (strangely, all from the same album). So I did a "DMS repair" in music manager: The files that wouldn't play will now play, and now I'm getting the proper info with the scan button. Of course, as you say, I'm not getting track info (I may look in to PhatVoice to get that), but I'm at least getting artist, genre, album, and CORRECT playlist info, instead of ONLY incorrect playlist info)

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-15-2005, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

cool. See www.myphatbox.com ...as the new forum. Enjoy!!!