Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
vSee related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

SD Card and MMI

Old 11-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobG
I set up SD card by copying music from Itunes and it works great.
Now several months later I have added new music files to this same SD card. (Itunes (MP4 format) to Sandisk 32GB card)
The SD card reader does not read any of my added music. Only music from the original SD card creation is read. Any suggestions on how to get SD card reread? I confirmed the files are copied on the SD card.
Would appreciate any tips / tricks for copying Itunes / playlists etc to SD cards. I really do not like Itunes interface. Anyways out of this or should I just continue to copy and paste from Itunes library ?

I am finding that a USB stick may be the best option for easy access to add or remove songs,play lists etc. But would prefer to use the SD card reader.
This is a great forum thanks for all the help / tips and tricks.

Bob G.
2017 Q7
Do you know how many files are on the card? I know there are hard limits (varies depending on car, size of SD card) and that may be the problem. You might want to try formatting the card. Backup it up first on your computer or external HD, format, and then drag everything back. It might force the MMI to read the card again. Also, check out the following page. Lots of info about using SD cards in the MMI: https://elmassian.com/index.php?opti...95&Itemid=1043
Old 11-23-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Cable for iphone

Originally Posted by rasitha
I am also not very satisfied with the SD card option. Not sure if this is an issue with the SD card or the Audi MMI system. Anyway, I just purchased a cable to connect my iPhone. That works much better.
Can you post the link for the iphone cable that works? I tried a couple but nevrr did get a connection yhat shows intrrface on Audi Screen.
i think I will just try to redo SD card, but thrre shoukd be a wsy to let you sdd files.
Thanks Bob
Old 11-25-2020, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Audi s5 B8.5 2015 high spec mmi
am I right after reading thread that I need a 128gb sdxc card 150mb/s SanDisk class 10. Any advice appreciated before I purchase the sd card.
Many thanks
Old 11-25-2020, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Also will the SanDisk extreme 170mb/s enable faster read time by the mmi or would it not work?
thanks
Old 11-26-2020, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

SD cards aren't black magic. You don't need high speed cards for audio. A class 4 card should work just fine. MMI is restricted to using mp3 files. If you're using Windows to format your card then it has a 32GB maximum size limit. There are ways to use larger capacity cards by formatting the cards using FAT32 with a special utility, but I've never tried it myself. You can get a crapload of mp3 files on a 32GB card . Use a program like Playlist Creator to make up the playlist. I copy all of the music files to the SD card and then add each album to the playlist and point to the SD card as the destination for the playlist so it creates the playlist and then puts it on the card and preserves the correct path so the MMI can find the files. One caveat is that the app likes to put the albums in alphabetical order. If you want to place them in a specific order for playback then number each title in the order you want to hear then and it will sort them in numerical order. You may also want to use an app like Mp3tag to make sure the audio files are properly tagged so the metadata is properly displayed on the screen.

Last edited by captain_video; 11-26-2020 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Was wondering if anyone has had any success with playing large video files? I have the REAR ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE in my 2013 q7 , and I have gotten it to read some video files, MPG for example but the video stutters constantly when playing off a USB or SDHC card, is there any video format that works better should I try AVI? or DIVX? or will I experience the same type of issues I am getting the the MPG files?

RJ