Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
vSee related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

SD Card and MMI

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the max size you can use? I see the 128GB is working but as you can see my collection is a wee bit larger. Would a 1TB external drive hooked into the AMI work?

Old 10-13-2016, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zukracer
Does anyone know the max size you can use? I see the 128GB is working but as you can see my collection is a wee bit larger. Would a 1TB external drive hooked into the AMI work?
A 1Tb drive will work, but I believe you have to format it as FAT32 by using the the command line format as per instructions here:
How to Format External Hard Drive to FAT32 in Windows

If you really have that much music then make it easy to navigate by organizing it for use with the MMI. For example, I use a directory structure like this...

//Genre/A-D/Artist/Album/tracks

//Folk/A-D/Arlo Guthrie/Alice's Restaurant/tracks
Old 10-13-2016, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks! I have mine in this format /Genre/Artist/Album/tracks and just got the AMI -> USB cable, will try with one of my small 1TB drives this weekend.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by zukracer
Thanks! I have mine in this format /Genre/Artist/Album/tracks and just got the AMI -> USB cable, will try with one of my small 1TB drives this weekend.
You should note though that whether you use an SD Card or a USB Disk, there is a maximum of 10,000 tracks that you can reach from the MMI interface.

You can plug in a disk with 100,000 tracks on and it will work but you will only be able to play the first 10,000 tracks through the system.

I wrote to Audi and asked for them to lift this limit but they have replied and said that there are currently no plans to provide an update which will increase this limit.

I am getting round it to some degree by using 2 SD cards with 10,000 tracks on each. But it is very annoying as I have around 24,000 tracks so can't quite get them all in!

HTH
Mark
Old 10-19-2016, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by surfymark
You should note though that whether you use an SD Card or a USB Disk, there is a maximum of 10,000 tracks that you can reach from the MMI interface.

You can plug in a disk with 100,000 tracks on and it will work but you will only be able to play the first 10,000 tracks through the system.

I wrote to Audi and asked for them to lift this limit but they have replied and said that there are currently no plans to provide an update which will increase this limit.

I am getting round it to some degree by using 2 SD cards with 10,000 tracks on each. But it is very annoying as I have around 24,000 tracks so can't quite get them all in!

HTH
Mark
Import songs to the Jukebox. Should hold about 3000 additional tracks.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Import songs to the Jukebox. Should hold about 3000 additional tracks.
Good point I might try that!

M
Old 10-24-2016, 01:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi,
I went through this post several times now and would appreciate if you could help me doing a recap as i have just bought a 256 sd card and want to get the best of it:
- does the format matter: exfat? fat32? exfat works for me but still have the usual limitation; cannot read the last tracks of my card
- what is limiting: number of folders/subfolders? numbers of songs? else?
- splitting the card in 2 partitions (or more), could that help?
Thanks a lot for helping me sorting that out... should be helpful for everybody here!
Cheers
MM
Old 11-08-2016, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello

I am taking a delivery of an A1 with this sound system next week.
the SD card i have prepared has music files coppied directly from my Windows C: drive ..some of the folders have sub folders in them ..
will the MMI read thease without modification please?
Old 11-08-2016, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anyone please???
Old 11-08-2016, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi you are new... you found the thread, but you must not have read it... start at the first page... you will learn a lot without asking people to repeat everything they have posted.

Greg

Quick Reply: SD Card and MMI