Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
vSee related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

SD Card and MMI

Old 12-28-2011, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by das2.7t
Excellent. I love this forum.
Great info - love this forum - one questions for you - i have tried to follow your instructions and just have 1 questions once i have exported the playlists as .m3u to the SD card. (i am using itunes as well)

when i open the .m3u list in a text editor, do i delete the FULL path name or just some of it ?

here is a screen shot of how it looks .....

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:207,Give It To Me - Jason Blaine
/Users/danielsmith/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Jason Blaine/Unknown Album/08 Give It To Me.mp3

so should it look like this:

#EXTM3U

OR like this

#EXTM3U
Jason Blaine/Unknown Album/08 Give It To Me.mp3

your help would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-01-2012, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Playlists on SD card

I've got the 3G MMI system and use SD cards to hold all my music, and I've also been driven nuts by this problem... but may have an answer!

I simply created the playlists as I normally would (I use Salling Media Sync as it works with my Android phone too) and changed the file extensions from .m3u to .mp3 - It sounds like it shouldn't work, but the MMI just picked it up and plays the tracks in order. I can even use the forward/back buttons to jump through the tracks.

I don't know if this will work on the jukebox, but I'd give it a try.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eurekamontana
Great info - love this forum - one questions for you - i have tried to follow your instructions and just have 1 questions once i have exported the playlists as .m3u to the SD card. (i am using itunes as well)

when i open the .m3u list in a text editor, do i delete the FULL path name or just some of it ?

here is a screen shot of how it looks .....

#EXTM3U
/Users/danielsmith/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Jason Blaine/Unknown Album/08 Give It To Me.mp3

so should it look like this:

#EXTM3U

OR like this

#EXTM3U
Jason Blaine/Unknown Album/08 Give It To Me.mp3

your help would be greatly appreciated
It should look like

#EXTM3U
\Jason Blaine\Unknown Album\08 Give It To Me.mp3

You need the "\" in place of "x:\Users\danielsmith\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\" I'm pretty sure it's "\" rather than "/" in your example.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone able to play video off a SD card or USB device? I have tried a bunch of different file formats but only get audio, even if car is parked.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teddyoh
Well thanks for all the great help out there! Good to see a thread that the original poster is the only one to respond!

I have solved this little problem. Reviewing some other threads under specific car models, I saw some conflicting information about the location of songs in .m3u playlist files. Some posters propose editing them to allow the MMI to be correctly pointed to the song location. In fact, this did it for me. Playlist files have the song location built into them. when you export an .m3u playlist from iTunes, the file IS supported by MMI. However, iTunes keeps the file location the same. As a result, MMI was searching for a drive and folder that did not exist on the SD card.

Here's what future MMI users need to do to get playlists to work:

1) Realize that user playlists DO NOT WORK on the Jukebox.

2) Copy the source .mp3 files to the SD drive using the SAME FILE STRUCTURE as on your computer. As an example, I let iTunes organize my library. So a song will have the following path...

C:\Music\U2\Joshua Tree\With or Without You.mp3

When you copy this to your SD card, realize it will be organized by MMI for searching by file structure. I copied the artist folders over in one big batch onto a 32gb SD card. I did not copy the whole Music folder to avoid a subfolder issue and allow for easier artist browsing on the SD card (also I have more music than a 32gb card would hold, so I selected the artists that were on playlists that I use). The file will now have this path assuming your SD card is drive S:

S:\U2\Joshua Tree\with or Without You.mp3

3) Using iTunes (or whatever music program you use), export the playlists as .m3u files to the root directory of your SD card.

4) Open Windows Notepad. Open a playlist file. They are text files, so any text editor should do. Each song on the playlist will be listed in order. Each will also have the full, original path from iTunes. Use the Replace tool in Notepad to eliminate the original location. In the example I gave above:

Replace: C:\Music\
With: \

This will point the playlist file to the correct folder on the SD card. If you use Replace All, you can change the locations of the entire playlist with one click. Great for larger playlists!

5) Save the modified playlist file.

That's it! Insert the SD card into the Audi MMI, and your playlists will play INSTANTLY (after the standard MMI initialization when you start the car) without any playlist loading delays.

I am the smartest man alive!
Great post! But, I use a mac. Any thoughts/suggestions on who to export itunes to SD card on an OS X computer?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any suggestion on card writer?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Steve'sA6
Great post! But, I use a mac. Any thoughts/suggestions on who to export itunes to SD card on an OS X computer?
What you can do is right click on the playlist you want to have on the SD card and click export. Then select .m3u. After that you'll want to go to wherever you exported the file, right click on the file and open it with text editor... go in and you'll see the file structure.... change it to /Volume/SDcardNAME/folderNAMewhereMP3is/songname.mp3

mine looks like this:
/Volumes/MP3/90s/11 Man In The Box.mp3
Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

hello i am a new ownwer of a 2012 Audi A6 Prestige and had a quick question on the SD card. I understand there are SD cards with built in wifi. I wanted to know if we use this card in the MMI SD card slot and would it be possible to push or upload the card with music wirelessly. This way when a new song comes out i can transfer the song wirelessly from my computer to the sd card in the car. Not even sure if the cards that have wifi will be able to accept the trnasfer as the only cards i see are more for phot transfer from camera to comp. Can this be possible? Any thoughts or work arounds?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Teddyoh, thanks for starting this thread. I had no idea that MMI supported M3U playlists.

Unfortunately, it looks like only the first 2000 lines of the playlist are being loaded. The playlist is the whole genre, so I can randomly play any song in the genre. If I scroll down very quickly, the MMI shows that I'm on song XX of 2000.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mickelin
Anyone able to play video off a SD card or USB device? I have tried a bunch of different file formats but only get audio, even if car is parked.
I know this is an old post, but can you (or anyone) tell me how to get even just audio to play off a DVD ripped to an SD card? I have some multichannel DVD-Audio discs that include a 5.1 DTS track. I can play these with the DVD in the player, but I don't like having to keep discs in the car and change them out. I'd much rather rip them to an SD card. I've tried ripping the DVDs as both ISOs and DVD folder format to an SD card, but neither worked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SD Card and MMI