Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SIM Card Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIM Card Replacement

Apologies in advance - I know this topic has been discussed at length. I did search all the threads I could find, and I cannot find the answer to the question I'm asking. Here's the background:

2013 Audi A7 Prestige in the Washington DC area. Had the 3 year T-mobile SIM card financed with the original sale, and it expired in 2015. When it did, rather than resubscribe at $30+ a month, I took the advice of a lot of folks on this forum, got an AT&T SIM card added to my existing unlimited cell plan (outside of an AudiConnect contract), and popped it in. All services in the MMI good, but Google, Wi-Fi, AudiConnect - the whole package as far as I could tell. 2G speeds, but all there. When AT&T dropped 2G coverage in my area in 2016, I lost service. Got "the letter" from Audi that I qualified for an upgraded radio/modem at no charge, and after that the AT&T SIM started working again at 3G speeds. No issues. All services good. From everything I could find on this forum, that was the best I could expect for a 2013 MMI interface.

Fast forward to now. Changing carriers to Verizon for work-related issues. Not technically possible to get a Verizon SIM to work with this radio/modem. So - got a Truphone SIM and loaded up $15 of data, and put it in. Get a strong 3G signal, which is the best this radio will do, but cannot get Google and AudiConnect to initiate.

Here's the question: Does anyone know if the dealer upgraded radio/modem that I now have in my 2013 system will work with a Truphone SIM, and if so - how do I make it work? If not, are there any other solutions out there that this community is aware of that avoids a $30 per month charge? I like the features I get from having a working SIM in the car, but not that much.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts or advice...