Sponsored by:

UK: UK maps to NZ Maps

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK: UK maps to NZ Maps

Hi AW forum members,

Apologies as I'm new here but looking for some advice on navigation software - and updating maps to a different region. We have just ordered a new A6 (with MMI touch navigation) for delivery early in 2019 (latest software/firmware) it will be a UK vehicle but we want to take it to NZ later in the year.
From my desk research and speaking with various Audi dealers it appears the software will be linked to the VIN/Chassis number and therefore "region locked". This would then prohibit us from updating the maps to NZ maps when we take the vehicle to NZ later in the year, even if the "my audi connect" account is registered in NZ.

I have heard that the Australian/NZ cars use the same base software build as the EU/UK cars (unlike some other regions) - but the map files will be an issue.

I suspect that we will need to go to a third party company who can play with the software (either in NZ or the UK) If you have experience of this in either country please let me know who you might have used and what the process was (and importantly if it worked OK or what pitfalls to look out for)

Thanks in advance

Cheers,

Aaron

Old 09-30-2018, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Having a look around with OBDeleven and it is possible to change your region, not only for maps/navigation but also DVDs (we use region 4). Finding maps won't be too much of an issue, any local NZ dealer will have a set on the go without the need for VIN specific details.
Our software is ROW but mainly EU more so than UK.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Martigary
Having a look around with OBDeleven and it is possible to change your region, not only for maps/navigation but also DVDs (we use region 4). Finding maps won't be too much of an issue, any local NZ dealer will have a set on the go without the need for VIN specific details.
Our software is ROW but mainly EU more so than UK.
Hi Martigary,

Thanks for the tip off, I've just got a message back from the OBDeleven guys directly and they say "only a dealer can do this" (my question to them was would the OBDeleven dongle allow me to install NZ maps on a UK model software).
I'm not technical enough but wonder if the OBDeleven can only adjust the coding of the existing installed firmware and the level of change required to enable installation of a NZ map set might be beyond the installed firmware (even with coding mods). I will keep on researching and see what I can find.

I have been in touch with NZ Audi already and as you'd expect they are not keen on "grey imports". To the point that they have created a specific info sheet trying to warn people off buying non NZ new vehicles. They state that while radio frequencies are OK (UK to NZ) the nav software can't be updated (we all know it must be possible ... but they won't do it, or help out)

Thanks again and will keep you in the loop with what I find out.

Cheers,

Aaron

Old 08-21-2019, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In case you haven't found out, it's quite simple, you need to go to the Green Menu, and change region of your car to Australia/NZ, and that's it. Then you can install NZ maps.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your thoughts - I'm not sure it's that simple as the region software is more integrated into the vehicles systems and if the software has not been qualified for a region by Audi they won't release it. I wish it was this easy but from what I've found out since 2018 I suspect it isn't

When I find a solution I will let everyone know.

Cheers
Old 08-21-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

FWIW, not specifically for NZ, but I've come across third parties in the past that claim they can convert the MMI and get the right maps on there for folks who are relocating. I was specifically curious about USA to EU conversions. Although, USA to EU is a bit different because we have unique firmware in the USA and different hardware for things like satellite radio. In the past, our traffic data also came via satellite and not online as in Europe.

I also got the impression that this is not straight forward with Audi, because I did European Delivery with my last two cars, first with a 2013 Audi RS5 and earlier this year with a 2019 Mercedes-AMG C63S. One of the differences between the two is that while my Audi was in Europe, I couldn't use the navigation system. Audi was not able or it's too involved to load EU maps on the system and reload the USA maps once the car got shipped to the USA. However, with my Mercedes and as far as I know it's the same if you do European Delivery with BMW, they load the EU maps onto the system for the time the car is in Europe, and then reload the USA maps once it gets here. So it seems BMW and MB are set up to do this very easily, but not Audi. Granted, it's been a few years since my ED with Audi, but until last year when Audi cancelled the program it was still the case that the navigation couldn't be programmed with the EU maps while in Europe, and they continued to hand out a portable Garmin for the duration of the trip.

Perhaps, one option nowadays is that you just rely on Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. That's actually what I still ended up doing with my C63, because although I had EU maps on the system, I didn't have online traffic, because the data connection didn't work in the EU as it is tied to US carriers. That's potentially another issue in your case as well. Not sure Audi puts communication modules into the MMI that work around the globe since each country uses different frequency bands. You may need to replace the communication module for NZ before the data connection works. The latest MMI uses an eSIM, though, that supposedly can be provisioned for any country, but the question is is there a process for it in NZ to provision the eSIM from a UK car.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-21-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Super Swiss,

Thanks for the note, yes I think I need to go to a 3rd party supplier who will update the head with local firmware (then maps). The maps are tied to everything from predictive automatic gear changes to speed limits and bunches of other safety features now, it's not purely navigation. I think Audi (and probably others) are just being careful - they don't want software which was not configured for a certain model loaded on and potentially being the cause (indirectly) of an accident in a country the car wasn't certified for. I can see their point but they do make it pretty tough as I ordered an export vehicle and told them where it was going to be used. I'd have quite happily had the NZ software loaded at the factory and taken delivery in the UK. Again not easy with big automotive groups for them to accommodate bespoke requests.

I'll let everyone know once I have it sorted, till then I'll use CarPlay to navigate rather than the built in nav software.

Cheers

Aaron
Old 08-21-2019, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by feijoa
Hi Super Swiss,

Thanks for the note, yes I think I need to go to a 3rd party supplier who will update the head with local firmware (then maps). The maps are tied to everything from predictive automatic gear changes to speed limits and bunches of other safety features now, it's not purely navigation. I think Audi (and probably others) are just being careful - they don't want software which was not configured for a certain model loaded on and potentially being the cause (indirectly) of an accident in a country the car wasn't certified for. I can see their point but they do make it pretty tough as I ordered an export vehicle and told them where it was going to be used. I'd have quite happily had the NZ software loaded at the factory and taken delivery in the UK. Again not easy with big automotive groups for them to accommodate bespoke requests.

I'll let everyone know once I have it sorted, till then I'll use CarPlay to navigate rather than the built in nav software.

Cheers

Aaron
That's a good point about the map data being used for other things besides navigation. My Mercedes is fully loaded with all the latest driving assist features, and while I didn't use the built-in navigation, having the EU maps on the system ensured that all the assistance systems worked properly in Europe, including automatic slowdown when approaching intersections, exits, sharp turns etc. and all the traffic sign recognition was working properly and the car was aware of the correct speed limits and adopted them correctly with ACC engaged.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Firmware wise you have 3 firmwares, EU JP and US. UK uses the same firmware same as NZ. In either case you would still need a copy of the maps to even try an install.
Old 04-30-2023, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by feijoa
Hi Super Swiss,

Cheers

Aaron
Hey Feijoa,
what was the final decision you made? we have an sq7 we imported from UK to here in NZ and are needing the maps to be updated.
What's the best way, can we do it ourselves?

let me know.
Cheers,
Martyn