AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Australia Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/australia-discussion-50/)
-   -   Car Insurance (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/australia-discussion-50/car-insurance-2579607/)

SailorHoops 01-22-2003 10:33 PM

Car Insurance

I live in Melbourne and am looking at purchasing a 2001 A6 4.2Q and was wondering if anyone could recommend an insurance company. I am getting the answer that I am getting a lot of is that "Sorry but we do not insure that type of car."

Thanks.

Richo_Downunder 01-22-2003 11:08 PM

Try your Audi Dealer...

I bought my car a couple of weeks ago privately (it's 5 years old) and was getting quotes of about $1200 to insure (I'm in Adelaide). I contacted my local Audi dealer and they quoted $940. The guy was very helpful and went out of his way to approve the mods that have been done to the car. Very happy.

YetAnotherA4 01-23-2003 05:18 PM

Good suggestion....

Audi dealers will probably offer you Audi Insurance, which is essentially a policy from MMI (part of the Allianz group) which is tailored for Audi drivers and vehiles. There are many benefits but I'll leave the sales spiel to your dealer.

I am not sure but I have an idea that they can only write new policies on brand new cars.

The Audi dealer should also be able to recommend another insurer, or at least tell you who to steer clear of (like AAMI).

A workmate insures his A4 through MB Prestige.

Some insurance companies are only interested in insuring Falcons and Commodores, companies like (in SA) RAA and SGIC are classics for that. RAA didn't want to know and SGIC (the incumbent, my old car was with them) quoted about 15% more than Audi Insurance.

Ken - A3T 01-23-2003 06:29 PM

Shannons or Audi Insurance

I've insured my A3T with Shannons... the premium is slightly higher than Audi Insurance, but there is some additional flexibility offered. (eg. pay by the month, repairer of choice) Lower premiums are offered if you are an affiliated car club member, also if you do limited kms.

Audi Insurance are price competitive and certaintly worth a look. From what I can tell, their policies are issued only via Audi Dealers.

Don't forget to read the fine print conditions on any offer....

audineil 01-23-2003 07:09 PM

Re: Shannons or Audi Insurance

Our A4T is insured with Audi insurane.
The 90 with Motec is insured with Shannons.

I am very happy with the price and service so far - but of course I haven't yet had to make a claim.
Neil

Richo_Downunder 01-24-2003 01:58 AM

Audi Dealer insures old Audi's too

I bought my Audi private sale from a Victorian bloke and the local contact at Solitaire (Paul Miller) was very helpful.

So you don't need to buy a new car or even purchase form the dealer.

And yes the insurance is Audi Insurance do thru MMI.

RareBeast 01-24-2003 11:47 AM

Re: Car Insurance

I had my S4 insured through Audi and they were by far the best until I turned 30 (3 months ago)

I rang around a few weeks ago when it came due and GIO came in at $2200 ($800 better than Audi)

My suggestion is you jump on the phone and get quotes.

You do need to be careful though as some companies won't pay up if the driver was under 25 etc.

Ps. I mentioned that I wanted to chip my car to the GIO guy. He punched the Kw upgrade into his computer and it didn't change the premium, so they may be Ok for some mods etc.

SailorHoops 01-24-2003 11:57 AM

Re: Car Insurance (Ended up going through RACV)

Thanks for you help guys. The Audi Insurance was slightly higher than the RACV, but they would have insured me even though I did not purchase through them or not a new car.

Did not think of ringing Allianz, might give them a go.

CVT Down Under was correct, a lot of insurance companies are not interested in prestige vehicles and are more keen on the Commodore/Falcon breeds.

Richo_Downunder 01-25-2003 03:30 PM

Mods and Audi Insurance

Audi insurance were fine about my bodykit, 18" Mags, lowered suspension, remus exhaust. However, they said that if I chip it they will not insure it.

Apparnatly Audi insurance has an absolute no modified chip policy. Needless to say I will be looking for another insurer when I get serious about the PES kit. :)

floppy trout 01-25-2003 05:38 PM

Audi Insurance = Jaroldine Loyd Thompson. Dealer gets $300 finders fee

Audi insurance is roughly $1200 for the year (any car) with lots of restrictions and a $300 finders fee to the dealer that is non-refundable. If you cancel 15 days after the policy starts you're out the $300. Audi insurance misrepresented itseld when they stuck me with a $1500 excess. I don't have an Aussie license (or been licensed in Australia for more than two years).

I ended up going with AAMI since they accepted my overseas diving history. Someone said to avoid them - why? They seem first rate to me, although probably the most expensive.