OT: looking to move to Brisbane, Australia or Wellington, NZ

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: looking to move to Brisbane, Australia or Wellington, NZ

me and 2 friends (all 25 yr old males with college degrees - Penn State, in case you were curious) are looking to get away from the USA for a little while and want to try something different. I want to try out Australia (would love to go to Sydney, but I've heard its ridiculously expensive, so I chose Brisbane) and one of my friends really wants to go to Wellington, NZ. The third guy doesn't care one bit.

So we are trying to decide where to go. Just thought I would reach out to my fellow Audiworlders and see if I could get some thoughts.

We are going to enter the countries with the 'work holiday visa'. (note: australia and the USA just passed a law allowing the work holiday visa betwen our countries starting on Oct 31 of 2007.) we plan on quitting our professional jobs here in the States and just get jobs as bartenders or something like that.

does anyone have any thoughts on which city / country would be better for a couple of young guys from the USA?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mike
Old 10-03-2007, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would recomend AUS

Unless you like having sexual actixities with the sheep.... there is plenty of sheep in NZ....

LOL... Why not try both and see for yourself...
Old 10-03-2007, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i think that is the best advice i've ever received in my life....thanks!

my thought was that we go to Australia, and then if we really want to check out NZ, we can take a 2 week vacation over there.

I just gotta convince my buddy of that. I'm gonna mention the sheep line to him and hopefully that does the trick....haha

thanks again
Old 10-03-2007, 04:11 AM

Default Re: OT: looking to move to Brisbane, Australia or Wellington, NZ

Wellington: cold, rainy, windy but only an hours drive to a windswept pebbly beach.

Brisbane: hot, humid, but only an hours drive to the sun-drenched sandy beaches of the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default so Wellington = Ireland, Brisbane = Miami? (in terms of weather, that is)

Would you recommend Brisbane as a good city if an American wanted to experience what Australia is all about?

While there, I would specifically like to check out the Great Barrier Reef and the Outback.

Do you possibly have any other recommendations on cities in Australia?

Thanks for all of the help!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: i think that is the best advice i've ever received in my life....thanks!

Being a Victorian myself, albeit living in LA now...I can't let this pass without throwing the Melbourne card out there.

Melbourne, climate wise , will give you a bit of everything. The lifestyle is great but doesnt come with the pretense of Sydney ( gret place to vist...cant live there), the sheep activities of NZ, (amazing people and place but it is NZ) and the well....Brisbaneness of Brizzy....

(i've started the **** fight now...LOL....)

Anyway, all places are great and each has their own positives and negatives. The best advice would be base yourself in Syd
or Melb and make sure you get to see all as much as you can.... and enjoy...

You'll luvit...

PS the wife is a seppo from LA and luves aus. shes been there 5 times and counting and wants to move there....

06 S4 25th Anniv # 016 - USA
Old 10-04-2007, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd take Auckland over anything.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ive been hearing that Auckland is not a true NZ experience

Ive heard It's much like a Western City, and a crappy one at that. From what I've read, New Zealanders are fleeing the city.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...afterall, all of my research has been done online so far...and we all know that the internet has the most reliable info all the time! (j/k, obviously).
Old 10-05-2007, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I loved it there...rest of the country was beautiful also. I just like cities.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Actually, since I posted this I talked to a friend who was in Melbourne...

He's from the US, and has been to Australia 3 times now - he said that he would highly recommend Melbourne or Sidney with Melb being just a bit ahead due to the cutural aspects of the city as well as the cost of living.

So i think for the time being, I'm going to do some more research on Melbourne.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: OT: looking to move to Brisbane, Australia or Wellington, NZ