Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

'18 S3 - Glacier White Detail

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '18 S3 - Glacier White Detail

As we all know, it does not matter if you buy an Audi, Ferrari or a Corvette. Off the lot and brand new, the detail/prep work just isn't up to a standard that it should be for us auto-enthusiasts. I've had my fair share of new vehicles, including a '15 S3, which displayed the same detailing flaws.

To say I'm OCD about paint protection/vehicle maintenance would be quite the understatement. Back in '15, when my Sepang Blue had arrived at the dealer, I opted to have the car delivered as is. I did not want a single individual touching the paint, as I knew it would just be more work for myself in the end. Fast forward to this past month. On a whim, the misses gave me the green light to get into an '18 Glacier White S3 (don't have to tell me twice). After consulting with the dealer about the whole detailing dilemma, I opted to go against my instincts and let them prep the car before delivery. Whoops.

Since the metallic hides imperfections so well, it was tough to really capture what needed to be properly corrected on camera. This could have been caused by the dealer during prep, but it's tough to really point the finger. Hard water etchings on the windows, fine scratches across nearly every body panel and other miscellaneous imperfections. Regardless, in this case, it was time for some correction. Down here in Houston, there are multiple detailers that can emphasize what a "new car prep" should really look like. Since I've become lazy in my old age (30), I decided to pass along my detailing torch to a buddy of mine with Detail Evolution. We prepped the car via the following...

- 2 bucket method wash
- Iron-X decontamination
- Clay Bar
- Final wash

At this point, we were ready to begin the correction process. Since the car made it's way home with only 30 miles on it, a deep correction wasn't necessary. A simple 1 step pass across the entire car would suffice. So it began...

- 1 step paint correction (paint and windows)
- Car Pro Eraser (remove all left over residue)
- Ceramic coating application
- Wheel removal
- Caliper/Wheel decontamination
- Caliper/Wheel ceramic application

With the 2 of us hustling in this brisk Houston weather we've been welcomed with, the entire process took us about 8 hours. Unfortunately, the weather did not do us any favors, so I'm waiting for the sun to make an appearance to capture a few more images, where you can truly appreciate the prep that should go into these cars from the beginning. It's extremely satisfying knowing that when I'm ready to wash the car, not a single wash mitt or towel will be necessary. A quick rinse/leaf blower combination will be all that's needed in a mere 15 minutes to clean her up. This time around, I was ecstatic to get a similar coating onto the wheels. With the horrendous amount of brake dust these cars create, the cleaning process will now be effortless.

Automotive photography is also a large hobby of fine, so I apologize for the large images. However, the details are there for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!