Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Ask Detailer's Domain

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Phil,

I'm a happy user of Menzerna FMJ that I bought from you a while back (almost time to buy some more). Is there any benefit to layering multiple coats?

Thanks,
Old 04-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe many users like to layer the fmj make sure you layer it after it has set up many layer after it has set for 12-24 hours.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by phil@detailersdomain
I believe many users like to layer the fmj make sure you layer it after it has set up many layer after it has set for 12-24 hours.

Thanks for the feedback.
Hehe...you didn't answer my question.

I'm sure many users like to smoke a carton of cigs, but I don't think that has any benefit.

Will it last longer or shine deeper if I apply multiple coats (waiting 12-24 hours between applications)?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2009, 04:00 AM
Former Vendor

yes you will get more protection.

you will also find if you top it with a nice carnauba wax you will get more depth and gloss.

I hope that answers your question.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by phil@detailersdomain
yes you will get more protection.

you will also find if you top it with a nice carnauba wax you will get more depth and gloss.

I hope that answers your question.
Hehe, cool. 8-)

Thanks for the quick reply!!!

Best,
Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Former Vendor

Sure thing make sure you post your results.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Phil;
Need to order some more FMJ, and i do prefer to apply two coats. The first is applied at the end of clean up, and then one more coat 12 to 24 hours later. Before I apply the second coat, I typical give it another wash. Typical at the end of that day; I wash the car one more time and then apply Lusso Oro.
DO YOU RECOMMEND THIS process?
Do you recommend a different wax for better finish? If it matters my car is white.
Would you recommend Finishing Glaze as a final step? I currently use glaze on days when I am just giving her a simple bath.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor

if you are layering fmj then layer it, I would say don't do Lusso in between until you are done using FMJ.

Finishing glaze does not add any protection, please use FMJ again after the bath or a quick detail or spray wax.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry Phil, I have to blame my ESL for mis stating the process.
I only wax the car after the second layer of FMJ. I wash the car ever time before applying products just to make sure i don't end up rubbing in dust or dirt into the paint.
Once car is washed, tape, clayed, polished:

apply black wow (got to get more with the move sale your having.)
FMJ is applied
wait till the end of the day (12 hours or so)
wash car
Apply Black wow again and wash trim(since i got black wow, i take a short cut and don't tape up car again.) Here i use a much smaller amount not to get to much of a shine
Apply second coat FMJ
next morning wash car again and apply Black WOW
Hand rub Lusso Oro onto car and rims and remove
Dress tires
IS this process OK?
Do i need to wait till the next day for FMJ to cure and apply wax?
Any short cuts you recommend?
Am i waisting time washing the car to many times? Currently using Adams Wash every time, recommend any other wash?
Not happy with my window (exterior), what is a good glass polish ? Hopefully you respond before the 13th; trying to take advantage of the moving sale.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:57 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by railpointer
Hey Phil, thanks for creating this thread. I have a question for you: I need to do my Spring "big clean" where I wash, clay bar, polish (this year I think I'll be using swirl remover as I screwed up & forgot to tell the dealer to NOT wash my car when it was in for service a couple of times in the last year or so, and have some very fine swirls all over my black car) and then wax my car.

I hurt my back a few months ago, & all the bending to do this work in years past (even with an uninjured back) always made it hurt at the end of the day, & this year, I'm a little more concerned. So here's my question:

Does the clay bar do an adequate job of removing old wax, and instead of washing the car with dishwashing liquid like I have in the past to strip the old wax, could I just wash it regularly with non-stripping shampoo, then go through my complete steps (bar, polish and wax) on just a section or two of the car, maybe doing a couple per week until the car is finished? In the past, I always had to do the complete job in one day because after the wax was stripped in the wash, I wasn't willing to take the car back out until it was re-protected under a fresh coat of wax, but if the bar (or polish?) can do this, then I can effectively spread out the work over a few weeks & save my back.

I realize I might be a great candidate for a buffer or one of those rolling mechanic's chairs I've seen, but $ is tight right now & I'm trying to complete this job with the resources I have on hand. Thanks in advance for any advice!
I would take it easy and try to do the car in sections.

you might want to wash then clay, then may pick a panel and polish and wax it, then in a couple days wash the car and then pick another panel.

I use to do this in the winter and when i just didn't have the time.

Quick Reply: Ask Detailer's Domain