Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Best protection spray for easy bug removal?

Old 11-02-2018, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best protection spray for easy bug removal?

I'm not looking for a bug removal product, but one you spray on before bug season so the bug guts wash off easily.

Internet is full of crazy ideas but none with solid proof; Pam cooking spray, WD-40, Pledge furniture spray, Vaseline, silicone spray, Rejex, etc.

Anyone have a product that goes on easily and works extremely well yet doesn't ruin the cars finish or look?
Old 11-02-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Verybumpy
I'm not looking for a bug removal product, but one you spray on before bug season so the bug guts wash off easily.

Internet is full of crazy ideas but none with solid proof; Pam cooking spray, WD-40, Pledge furniture spray, Vaseline, silicone spray, Rejex, etc.

Anyone have a product that goes on easily and works extremely well yet doesn't ruin the cars finish or look?
I really like the KY duration spray for the front, and Astroglide Gel for the more adventurous in the rear. Seriously, I would not use any sprays or oils, and especially no silicone on the paint. A spray ceramic coating like Torque Detail Mirror Shine, (they are out of Florida) or an Ammo product should help and will make the finish look better for sure. I imagine a company like Ammo has a technical service dept that would help you find the best product of theirs for your needs.

Last edited by katzjamr; 11-02-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, after some research I bought and will try RejeX on all the front facing surfaces of my car and bike. My only concern is the large Audi front plastic grill. It mentions it's not good on porous surfaces so we'll see how it goes.

Also, it's bloody 20°F out right now so it most likely have to wait till Spring.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Verybumpy

Yea I wouldn’t recommend any of those products you mentioned. There are products that can help out with this, but it really depends on how much you want to spend and how well you take care of your cars. If you are trying to keep things cheap I would recommend Gtechniq's C2V3 Liquid Crystal. C2 is a spray that is very easy to apply. C2 provides a protective layer that aids in UV protection, water and dirt repellency. In addition to being a protective layer it also adds slickness and gloss to your paint. A single layer can last up to 6 months, though I recommend applying more frequently than that (especially since it is so quick and easy to apply). You can apply multiple layers of C2 at once, or as frequently as you would like. The first time you apply C2 I would recommend that the first time you use C2 going over the car once fully, then apply a second layer to the entire car that so you get a healthy base layer.
If you go with Gtechniq C2 I recommend getting Gtechniqs G-Wash. It is a soap that is coating safe, and of all the soaps I have used it is the best coating safe soap I have touched without breaking the bank on. G-Wash just seems to make quicker work of removing grime from my car than the rest. Granted my cars all have multi year coating's but still, it does a good job. Finally, get a good wash mitt. Shine Supply, and Gtechniq both make good wash mitts that last a long time (also leaps and bound beyond the cheap amazon mitts you will find). These products won’t cost you much, and if you choose to get a multi year coating you can use them with that was well.

The more expensive route is you buy a multi-year coating. One of the biggest pros of a long term coating is making it easier to wash away dirt and grime from your car. Doing a coating though requires time, patience, and a lot of prep work if doing yourself. If doing a coating by a professional it will cost you a lot of money.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Take a look at Sonax Polymer Net Shield and Sonax Profiline Ceramic Coating. They are both DYI products. I have been very happy with them.