AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/auto-detailing-discussion-31/)
-   -   Black Audi A4 - Daily Driver - Suggested Products (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/auto-detailing-discussion-31/black-audi-a4-daily-driver-suggested-products-2970864/)

AudiFlyGuy 04-19-2019 02:52 PM

Black Audi A4 - Daily Driver - Suggested Products

I posted earlier and received great advice on an interior cleaner/conditioner for leather. I checked out AutoGeek and found so many options. I think if I post exactly what I need perhaps my car friends here can guide me. My car is black
metallic with beige leather. I wash it when needed -usually after rains. Dried dirty water/spray from driving is the issue. Most people in my area use automated car washes. I’d like to avoid if I can, but they are convenient and do a good job overall it seems. I work long days so I don’t have time to wash until weekends. When the weather is dry, the issue is pollen or dust. I also have problems with bird poop occasionally. I’d like a car wash product that cleans and protects and an interior and exterior detailer that does the same. I’m wondering if the Griot’s Rinseless wash might be a possibility. I’m worried about scratching my black paint but I cannot always wet the car or fully wash it. Advice welcome. I’m definitely looking to get products. Want to keep the Audi looking new! Thank you!

NoMoreSwede 04-19-2019 03:36 PM

A rinseless wash can be good. I use them to wash the cars when winter strikes here. The rest of the year I do old fashion soap and water washes to minimize marring. My current favorite soap is Optimum Car Soap, but many good choices.

I prefer using a standalone wax/sealant twice a year. I’ve had great luck with Collinite 845. You can probably get away with Optimum Car Wax, which couldn’t be easier. Spray on the panel and wipe off. Whole car done in 15 minutes.

For detail sprays I like using the Optimum No Rinse mentioned in the thread on leather care. That can be used inside and out. Beyond that I would look to Meguiars or similar.

bob m 04-21-2019 05:31 AM

Congratulations on your new ride. Car detailing (which I do enjoy) can go from being moderately easy, inexpensive and effective (keeping car clean and protected) to the very involved and super obsessive - I'm somewhere in the more obsessive end - but not totally nuts about it either. Be advised, car detailing can become a rabbit hole of products and techniques - be careful not to fall in. You have to decide on where you "fit in" and what works for your level of car detailing concern. But I am guessing you want a well maintained and protected car, w/o the detail obsession
A few thoughts.
Buy only QUALITY Microfiber towels and wash them separately from your other towels/clothes using a microfiber detergent. Drying your car imparts as many - if not more swirls than washing your car.
Never unless absolutely necessary take your car to a "car wash" - the detergents will strip away any most of the protection you put on your car but more importantly is that you will end up with a clean car with swirls.

Here's what I would recommend doing. There are tons of videos on each step and will make things simple and foolproof, take a look. Join one of the forums - AutoGeek or Autopia and ask questions there and you will get great advice and plenty of it in a very timely manner.

Wash your car and follow with a clay bar. Wash again. I am not sure if you want to do "paint correction" - polishing out those slight swirls that are already on your car - even though brand new.
Dry properly.
Decide if you want to apply a coating - which will provide the most and best protection, thought takes some care to get it done properly, or a easier, spray on coating, or a sealant. I would avoid waxes as they do not protect anywhere as much as a coating or sealant.
My car was professionally coated, but that's just me. However I have applied this sealant to my wife's Outback last fall and it is still beading water. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant. https://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html

I can tell you that in pollen season, you can wash your car in the morning and within hours, your car can be covered in pollen and worrying about that is futile. Bird bombs are a different story and can etch your clearcoat if left on there too long. When I get a bird bomb on my cars, I use a waterless wash product (Ultima Waterless Wash) diluted in spray bottle and wipe it right off. There are tons of excellent products now available and more to come tomorrow, but proper prep is the key.

I happen to like Griot Garage products myself, so I uses their car wash https://www.griotsgarage.com/categor...ash+liquids.do when doing a full car wash.
Microfiber towels https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ks&from=Search
Interior cleaner for..... well, cleaning the interior https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ior+cleaner.do
Interior protection https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...or+detailer.do
Detail spray https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...rPicks&from=fn
And I use their wheel cleaners, clay bars and some other accessories.
Having said that, I think there are other products as effective as Griot's products, but if you wanted to stick to one line of products, you can't go wrong with them.

For waterless and/or rinseless washing I like this product https://www.autopia-carcare.com/ulti...l#.XLxtz-hJGUk

Here's a video that is informative and certainly worth the 10 minutes of watch time just to see some of the individual products out there.

AudiFlyGuy 04-21-2019 05:49 AM

Thank you

Great information!!!

Originally Posted by AudiFlyGuy (Post 25305482)
I posted earlier and received great advice on an interior cleaner/conditioner for leather. I checked out AutoGeek and found so many options. I think if I post exactly what I need perhaps my car friends here can guide me. My car is black
metallic with beige leather. I wash it when needed -usually after rains. Dried dirty water/spray from driving is the issue. Most people in my area use automated car washes. I’d like to avoid if I can, but they are convenient and do a good job overall it seems. I work long days so I don’t have time to wash until weekends. When the weather is dry, the issue is pollen or dust. I also have problems with bird poop occasionally. I’d like a car wash product that cleans and protects and an interior and exterior detailer that does the same. I’m wondering if the Griot’s Rinseless wash might be a possibility. I’m worried about scratching my black paint but I cannot always wet the car or fully wash it. Advice welcome. I’m definitely looking to get products. Want to keep the Audi looking new! Thank you!

chicagoA6 04-21-2019 09:55 AM

Agree with bob_m. First thing you will learn is black is more than a color...it can be an obsession. Both our cars are professionally coated and that is a great option if you want to spend the money and/or time.

I use a mix of Griots and CarPro products, but the most important thing is to use the products is recommended. Don't try and rush the job as you will only be disappointed in the results.

Only thing I would add to bob_m's comments is look into using a 2 wash bucket technique with grit guards.

I'll also give a shout-out to Pan the Organizer's YouTube channel for tons of car detailing information.

bob m 04-21-2019 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by chicagoA6 (Post 25306148)
Agree with bob_m. First thing you will learn is black is more than a color...it can be an obsession. Both our cars are professionally coated and that is a great option if you want to spend the money and/or time.

I use a mix of Griots and CarPro products, but the most important thing is to use the products is recommended. Don't try and rush the job as you will only be disappointed in the results.

Only thing I would add to bob_m's comments is look into using a 2 wash bucket technique with grit guards.

I'll also give a shout-out to Pan the Organizer's YouTube channel for tons of car detailing information.

I also use CarPro products and they are excellent. I actually just used CP Reload today on my marble cabinet top in my bathroom. Agree with the 2 bucket and grit guard wash also. That's why OP needs/should look at each task - washing/claying/drying/sealing/coating and familiarize himself with each procedure.
Best advice to OP is to watch some videos, read some of the online reviews, join one of the detailing forums. Don't rush out and buy every product in the world. Wait until you have a sense of what level you want to jump into detailing - as mentioned - it could be as simple or as complex as you make it.

Regarding Pan - he's great and I enjoy his videos - yet in one of most recent ones where he extolled the use of a new detailing spray - BeadMaker as if it were the second coming of the Messiah and of course I bought a gallon like a dumb-dumb only to find out it ain't no better than most of the detail sprays out there - with less protection. Point is don't jump on the "latest is the greatest" bandwagon. Your wallet will thank you.

Jsf721 04-21-2019 03:40 PM

Enjoy the car. Auto geek has a great forum. Join and ask questions. They are a helpful bunch.

What I have learned is black is not a color. It’s a part time job. :) But-nothing looks better when clean and polished !

KevinGary 04-21-2019 03:53 PM

Take a look at the reviews on detailersdomain.com

NoMoreSwede 04-21-2019 03:55 PM

Great info as usual, Bob!!

I think the info in his post should get you started. I recommend really thinking about your goals related to car detailing. If clean and protected is what you want then go for the two bucket wash and find a product to protect it that you enjoy.

If you are looking to keep it “showroom” new then welcome to the self admitted detailing obsessive club. The more the merrier and we can trade secrets for multi-step paint correction product.

Give a look to some of the products and procedures at the last links Bob shared and come back with more questions.

bob m 04-21-2019 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by KevinGary (Post 25306287)
Take a look at the reviews on detailersdomain.com

Kevin,

Any reviews in particular fro DD? That's where I got my car coated 2 years ago and have bought lots of items there, since he is only 20 miles north of me I pick it up myself. Have to say, I'm a kid in a candy shop in that place. BTW, Phil the owner, as most know is a very accomplished pro detailer - and a nice guy.