Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Ceramic Coating & Film

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating & Film

Hi all -

Took delivery of a 2017 Glacier White Q7 a few weeks ago. Coming from a 2012 Q7 TDI - what a huge difference! Loving the car!

I need some advice... I am eager to have a ceramic coating applied to the car. I had my previous Q7 coated and it was the best money spent. I have not thought much about adding a protective film (clear bra) in addition to a ceramic coating... until my detailer said I should seriously consider it. He explained to me how newer paints today are thinner and no where near as hard/tough.

He has offered me a bundle package... Xpel Front hood full wrap (no lines), front fender, headlights, mirrors, and door guards. CeramicPro 9H for paint, CP on all plastics, CP on glass, and complete wheel removal, coating wheels and calipers with CP.

Any advice here? Not sure what to do on the film. Car is garage kept and I fortunately work from home... so the car isn't burning up the highway roads on a daily basis.

Appreciate the input.
-Ryan
Old 07-26-2017, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It really depends on how **** retentive you are. For me I’m a 9 on a 10 scale and coating and PPF is absolute nirvana. Our A7 (MY15) is old school with polish/wax. However, took delivery of a new 911 GTS in May and drove it straight to the detailer for a PPF and Coating. First time I’ve done this. PPF was full front (hood, bumpers, fenders, leading edge of roof up to sunroof and mirrors). Then whole car coated. Products where Suntek and CQuartz professional.

I’ve already told my wife that when we replace the A7 next year (waiting for new MY19 A7) it will get the same treatment. For the Porsche the washing time has been cut to 15 mins and I’m really particular about the car and the wash process. It takes more time to clean the wheels than the rest of the car. In addition to that the car doesn’t get nearly as dirty in the rain and when we’ve done road trips I’ll sometimes find a self-serve car wash and give the car a hose-down with water-only and she looks perfect

Couple tips….

1) I’d be leery about dealer install. Usually overpriced and poor quality. Finding an installer that knows what they are doing is without a doubt the most important thing. This is less about the product and more about a quality install. When shopping the Porsche around the dealer wanted nearly $3K for the job, but couldn’t tell me who would be doing it and couldn’t show me any of their work. If you are anywhere near Chicagoland Lustr in Schaumburg did ours and I would highly recommend.
2) Make sure you get at least a Stage 1 polish paint correction done before the PPF and Coating. You want the paint to be perfect b/c what you are doing is semi-permanent. Anyone not doing a stage 1 is taking shortcuts. Even our Porsche fresh off the boat had swirl marks and holograms that needed to be removed
3) As you mentioned where ever possible wrap the edges of the PPF under the panel. They should remove headlights and badges for a clean install. You need to be a little careful about getting dirt on those edges if exposed and it starting to unravel. So less edges exposed the better
4) Coatings will do nothing for chips and dings. May want to think about rear bumper PPF if you worry about getting bumped while parked
5) For the Coating if this is being installed by a professional you want to have a professional product. None of the DIY coatings. Our CQuartz professional was applied and then baked on with heat lamps. With proper maintenance it should last 3-4 years.
6) The only thing I wish I would have done that I didn’t was have the wheels coated. Probably another $500 and would also be a big time saver for the wash.

Expel is great and I would put them and SunTek as two of the top PPFs. Coatings are pretty varied. I’m happy with CQuartz.

Best of luck and let us know what you do
Old 07-26-2017, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great advise, chicagoA6. I too have had the SunTek PPF used on my Audi's and have been very impressed.