Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Detailing in Europe, location, location , location

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing in Europe, location, location , location

I just got back from a 2 week trip to France. 1 week on paris for the job (prior to autoshow!!!) I spent the second week on the Riviera with family and detailing 3 cars (They enjoy when I am around to get proper car care). May be it's me living in the tri state area but I have forgotten how easy it is to detail cars that are garaged in perfect weather year around and never exposed to crap roads and salty winters.

My dad 2002 9-5 aero needed big job all around including engine bay. For lack of proper detail products, polishers and waxes, I had brought my own last year and left them there. It is impossible to find any of the stuff we know on this side of the pound. Spending 18 Euros on a plastic trim cleaner is insane.

All done by hand of course with micro fiber towels freshly packed in suitcase Aside from this car I did a Peugeot 307 and a 106. forgive the lack of pictures......................................
The French by the way truly have the dirtiest car in all of Europe. I had to shampoo the carpets twice on my sister 307. Saab came out as brilliant as to the day it came from the showroom. Paris holds the number 1 position for dirtiest car. Aside from the fact that they seem to park better than most idiots in NYC removing paint from bumpers on a daily basis.

My sister tried the clay bar to remove all types of crap on her paint that never came out and loved it. Next year, I am filling up on Adam's products before redoing all the cars again. In despite of lack of TLC all cars are garaged. I need to move to CA and enjoy nicer weather all year around.

PS: What not to do on a Saab 9-5. I put a plastic bag in front of the air scoop in order not to put water in the suction tubes. Of course any normal human beings would have removed it prior to restarting the car (not me). Silly thing got sucked up into the Air induction system in the air filter. On a Saab 9-5 Air filter is only accessible from below the engine held by 4 or 5 screws, which by all means is not reachable unless car is on a lift due to the aero package very low to the ground.........................Lesson learned.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The French never wash ...

their cars.

But I've always found Irish cars to be the dirtiest but maybe that's just me. As for sourcing product the only 'local' place I know would be Halfords in the UK. Halfords is the biggest chain of car accessories stores in the UK. You can get Meguiars &amp; Autoglym. Not sure if Autoglym is sold extensively in the US but it is highly thought of over here - Prince Charles waxes the Aston with it!<ul><li><a href="http://www.autoglym.co.uk/index2.html">Autoglym</a></li></ul>