Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

General Care Guidance for New Car Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default General Care Guidance for New Car Owner

Just bought a new A7 a few weeks ago. I知 interested in getting a good start in caring for the exterior and interior. By general care, I simply mean the best process and products (if necessary) for cleaning and maintaining the interior/exterior.

Is there a good source, link, thread that can be recommended for someone in my shoes? In exploring this thread, looks like there are a lot of detailing enthusiasts here who get down into some very specific areas, so sorry if I知 in the wrong place. There are also a lot of older threads so I知 sure the products and process have evolved.

Beginners like me learn from those who are passionate and experienced so I appreciate any input on starting at the general care level of the interior/exterior. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2019, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Tom, welcome aboard! Why don't you start by describing your care routine for previous cars? What products do you currently own?
Old 05-02-2019, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I’m a former owner of Porsches and BMWs. First time Audi owner, love my new A7! I had my last BMW for 10 years so I haven’t had a new car in quite awhile. The real answer to your question is mild dish detergent, soft towels, and chamois cloths. I didn’t have much time with young kids and work so I used detailing services on a regular basis, in between my hand washings. When I was single, I was much more hands on maintaining my Porsches. I used some waxes and finishes but it was so long ago, I don’t remember what they were.

I’ve got more time now and plan to be more hands with this one. So, I’m an open book.

BTW, the color is Triton Blue. Which I would describe as grey with blue metallic flake. Interior is black.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I'd suggest leaving the kitchen products in the kitchen.

Buy yourself proper car soaps. Get yourself good quality wash mitts, etc. You'll certainly need a wheel cleaner that needs to be used often. Are you planning on having a ceramic coating done? That will make your life much easier and nothing will keep your car looking better when it's dirty. You need micro fibre towels for drying. I like to have a good squeegee for the glass.

There are so many leather products out there. I probably have a dozen in my basement. I think the Griot's product is very good.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is great, thanks. I’ll let you know when I get past novice level.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree with uberwgn.. Leaving kitchen stuff in the kitchen. Tons of videos on YouTube, but Larry Kosilla (who owns AmmoNYC detailing) has a number of videos for the beginner.

This video is a 90min all-you-need-to-know for detailing your car. Its a great video to sit with a beer and enjoy.

It's a lot to take in, but take it slow and don't get overwhelmed. Also don't fall down the rabbit hole of needing the next best thing. It's an endless search and will cost you tons of money. Find products you like and use them as instructed.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Chicago. This is exactly the type of resource I was hoping for.